Forums Latest Members

These alleged 1:1 knock offs.

1. wsfarrell May 16, 2019

I believe that's true.
    Interesting question, though I think it's moot: Watchco happened because someone in Australia gathered up a bunch of genuine Seamaster cases, dials, hands, etc. I doubt that something like that will happen with Rolex parts. One reason (among others) is that vintage Seamasters had serial numbers on the movement only, so cases (like dials and crystals) could be available as "parts." Vintage Rolexes had serials on the cases---so you're never going to see a genuine new (or new old stock) Rolex case on eBay.

2. ext1 May 16, 2019

True, good point. You're right that it's significantly easier and more accessible with omega parts.
    I guess if one was really determined to find original cases and build up a rolex that way then it wouldn't be so frowned upon, then.
    I wondered recently why fakers aren't going after speedy straight lug cases - they must be very easy to make for them. No serial, no chamfers to take care of...

3. sah May 16, 2019

This thread is pretty scary, and makes one question even respected sellers. Could they have been fooled?
    When did new high quality replica watches get to this level? In the last 2 years? 4 years? 10 years?

4. 77deluxe May 16, 2019

Watchco are parts watches using all genuine omega parts. While they were not assembled by Omega, all parts were made by omega. Most sellers do not try to hide this from potential buyers. The difference in market price between an omega assembled and issued SM300, and a watchco is reflected in a difference of thousands of $$$.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 16, 2019

Getting better every day. Probably the last few years they have started to get scary good.

6. Millenary Watches May 17, 2019

The vast majority of fakes are terrible and can be spotted from miles away. Then there are those fakes that are a little bit better, but you will never be able to completely replicate a Rolex so that it can't be distinguished. Rolex is a billion dollar company that has carried out research and development for decades, the fake factories are... well.... Some fakes requires a more trained eye, but it's always possible to tell them apart in the details.

7. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 17, 2019

If you can't tell the difference, does it even matter anymore?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 17, 2019

Yes.

9. Ekonomer-Tuomas May 17, 2019

Yes.

10. Walrus May 17, 2019

And these things have a big market. People buy them in bulk and flip them. I check out certain local sites sometimes find a Hamilton or vintage seiko and I need to file through twenty people selling these things. Hundreds of dollars, and they move. I guess it’s the in thing. And two guys I know who have one come straight out and tell you it’s fake. They aren’t even using them to fool people it’s a cool thing for them to hunt down the most authentic fake if I can say that. Very odd to me spending several hundred to over a grand when you could get so many nice things that are real Oris, orient a good seiko or bulova etc. I don’t know it always used to be as simple as feeling them the fakes I saw.

11. kkt May 17, 2019

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is Rolex makes it very difficult to assemble a new watch out of replacement parts. First, they only sell the parts to authorized service watchmakers. Watchmakers pay a lot of money for the required training and specialized machinery. Rolex cutting them off would endanger their livelihood, their ability to repay their investment, etc. Second, some Rolex parts are only available on a trade basis: the new parts Rolex supplies have to balanced with worn or broken parts they are replacing.

12. Nivka May 26, 2019

Before I bought my ceramic sub, I did a lot of research into replicas. I learned so much about the genuine article that I would never have known about otherwise. The hardest parts to replicate for that particular model are the engraving on the rehaut, the colour and shine of the platinum coated insert engravings, the perfectly uniformed recess of the solid end links, the action of the divers extension, the date wheel alignment, the double ar of the cyclops and its beveled edge, the brushing of the case, the angle of the crown guards, the flair of the lugs, the polished and rounded hour markers.

Every time I wear it now I appreciate all those subtle details that make the genuine “perfect”.

Having said that, with ss Rolex so hard to come by these days, I can understand people buying a high end replica for $500 then putting in a genuine crystal and insert for another $1200 and having a damn close copy without years on a waiting list.

Walrus likes this.
  13. Theluglife May 26, 2019

this is precisely the reason that I am so afraid of buying a used rolex piece. Granted there are the bad fakes out there that most of us can tell from 10 feet. Then they'd be A++ fakes that going to a jeweler/watchmaker and opening the caseback will be able to tell. But what about the ones with aftermarket bezels, or relumed hands, or professionally refinished dials or repaired poorly with non original parts? I guess at the end of the day, the way to go is to buy the dealer not the watch like they say.

14. Walrus May 26, 2019

Very true. I’ve had some good luck on Reddit although I was a bit mislead when I got a dynamic which I knew needed service and had a few flaws but when I received it I found the movement to be loose in the case. This could have been a costly fix but luckily it can be repaired during regular service. One problem I have is when I sell anything I list every single thing wrong as I hate to mislead people. I sometimes think everyone is like that.

15. corn18 May 31, 2019

They are getting scary good, but a loop will tell you everything you need to know. Open up the back and look at the finishing on the movement.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 1, 2019

Posted this before a few times, but the days of an obviously fake movement are gone on the higher end replicas...

[​IMG]

17. corn18 Jun 1, 2019

Archer, if you loupe the movement, is there an obvious difference in finishing? That's what I noticed in the video comparing the two Daytonas. At 1x, they look the same. At 10x, it was obvious which one was fake. I'm hoping the fake makers never get that figured out as that will make it impossible to tell the difference.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 1, 2019

This photo was sent out to a watchmaker group I belong to a few years ago to warn other watchmakers of the quality of the fakes. I've not had one of these in my shop, so I can answer any questions about what this looks like under a loupe, but there are obvious tells.

First is the regulator, but in terms of finish the slightly rounded screw heads on the fake are a tell. Having said that, the 4130 replica movement in the video you posted had flat heads on the screws, so they may have improved these in the same way also...

Walrus likes this.
  19. watchos Jun 1, 2019

What I don't understand is why a watch maker that is capable of doing what could be argued to be "good work" decide to create a knock off vs building their own watches/brand? Or am I just being naive?

20. Walrus Jun 1, 2019

No not naive but fakes are a multi billion dollar business. If they take the time to build machines to make watches similar to the machinery used in Switzerland you can begin to see the magnitude of the issue. I was looking at one of the subs on Reddit where the fake watch guys congregate and apparently many of these are made to order and the Chinese company making them sends you a “QC” photo prior to them sending it to you. I have no proof other than what I read but I did pipe in one time asking them why they would spend over a thousand on a fake when so many quality real watches can be found for that price. I was not answered, I guess the answer is just because. I just hope those people aren’t purchasing these with the intent to scam but I’m not the watch police anyway