Forums Latest Members

These alleged 1:1 knock offs.

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 1, 2019

They make fakes of Seiko 5's, so why not something that is going to make them a LOT more money? I think the answer is clear that they can make more with these than with their own brand...

2. corn18 Jun 1, 2019

The really good fakes can be had for $400. The one in that video was $418.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. watchos Jun 1, 2019

I don't like to pass judgment without knowing, but it seems to be designed to scam people into thinking it's originals. Not for actually people knowingly buying fakes.

Walrus and michael22 like this.
  4. watchos Jun 1, 2019

That's just mind boggling.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 1, 2019

Google fake egg.

dabbispade likes this.
  6. michael22 Jun 1, 2019

There's a couple of markets.
    Firstly, the buying dupe, who thinks he is buying a real Rolex.
    Secondly, the guy who knowingly buys a fake, so as to dupe his peers into thinking he is a Rolex owner.

There are a lot of people out there who gain satisfaction from tricking people. It is their chosen MO in life, or some aspects of life, & they put effort into making it work.

dabbispade likes this.
  7. Walrus Jun 1, 2019

In reality a large percentage of these items must be. There is definitely a crowd of people who seek these things for personal enjoyment but no doubt a very large amount are made to sell as legit.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 1, 2019

I think more are made for the fakers, the people that want to look more affluent than they are.
    Rarely you see these sold in a capacity to fleece people that actually want the real product.
    Anyone in a SE Asian country being annoyed by a street vender trying to sell a Rolex for $100 does not think they are getting the real thing ;)

wsfarrell likes this.
  9. redpcar Jun 1, 2019

I'm a tall American, so I stick out in Asia. On a business trip to Beijing, I had a guy following me working on a Rolex sale. He started at $3K and I just ignored him. Finally, he got down to $25. I stopped, turned around, and said wait a second, you would have sold me that $25 watch for $3K? -Yes- . And you don't have any problem with that? -No-
    I just said "wow" and kept walking.

wsfarrell and michael22 like this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy Jun 1, 2019

The WatchCo's that had an Extract of the Archives showing that the movement was originally sold in an SM300 were commanding a bit more money - they were essentially what you'd get from Omega if you dropped your vintage SM300 off a bridge and then sent it to Omega for a full service, with Omega replacing all the damaged or old and faded parts.

wsfarrell likes this.
  11. Walrus Jun 1, 2019

Ya had a similar issue in Shanghai but they followed me around with a glossy catologue containing pics of thirty or so watches saying I could get anyone in this “catalogue”. What made it worse was I was waiting outside a store where my wife was doing her notoriously slow browsing so they continued to accost me then come back again every ten minutes or so. I didn’t even get to see the fake watches just pictures of real watches that they had fakes of somewhere in the area.

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 1, 2019

I’m noticing some unusual internet traffic from this thread over to Reddit. ::stirthepot::

(feeling guilty?;))

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 2, 2019

Going to reddit after being on this forum would do my head in.
    ————————————- <how annoying >
    —————————————————————<is it to read>
    ——————————————————————————- <a thread>

( had to try hard to do the above here )

larryganz and Darlinboy like this.
  14. Walrus Jun 2, 2019

I wonder if a fake could ever be made so well a fake is made of a fake. Like someone impersonating a really good Elvis impersonator.

15. Thrasher36 Jun 2, 2019

You can't tell a watch is fake by the wearer especially when it comes to adult men. Yes maybe a kid in a beat up Honda but I will tell u the old guy down the street from me looks like an old drunk ( he is a retired engineer that worked on the Glomar Explorer and many other ships including the Queen Mary when it first came to Long Beach..also a diver in the Navy when young ) and has an old pickup truck and a basic 1960s house. Open his garages and behold his 1932 Pierce Arrow and 1931 Auburn Boat tail. the whole back of his lot is a two story garage with more vintage goodness than is comprehensible and if I ever need a complex part machined for a gun or motorcycle this guy can do it. I also years ago saw him pop a wheelie on a 1960s Triumph while wearing a vintage leather football helmet.

16. larryganz The cable guy Jun 2, 2019

Today I'm out slumming in cargo shorts and a life is good t-shirt, with Salomon hiking shoes and a Rolex ceramic Pepsi GMT II, and nobody asked me about my watch and whether it was real or fake.

17. corn18 Jun 3, 2019

I'm the opposite today. VP at megacorp working on a bid for a $900M program. I am wearing my $12 Casio that makes me smile every time I look at it. And yes, it is real.

IMG_3959.JPG

18. rcs914 Jun 3, 2019

I thought that Watch Finder said it was over a thousand pounds? Or were they saying that fakes can cost over a thousand pounds?

corn18 likes this.
  19. corn18 Jun 3, 2019

A google search will find the $1200 fakes. A little digging will find the exact same watches for $400. Then there are the street fakes for $25.

20. axl911 Jun 3, 2019

Are these N**b v9 fakes you are referring to?

If so, then yes, they are scarily close to the real thing, including the movement.