Forums Latest Members

The way of the future... this can't be true ?

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 5, 2020

DaveK, flw, Omegafanman and 1 other person like this.
  2. Marsimaxam Sep 5, 2020

Thanks for sharing. I recall when I volunteered in my son's elementary school years ago, that many of the students could not read an analogue clock and many had difficulties with adding, subtracting, multiplication and division. So many rely on their phones and calculators for their answers and digital time. Hopefully the mechanical watch with all its gears and springs will continue to amaze the next generation. If not, someone, maybe my son, is going to pick up some cheap old Speedmasters and Daytonas in the future.

DaveK and SpeedyPhill like this.
  3. Evitzee Sep 5, 2020

And forget about cursive writing, I don't think they even teach it anymore. Now it's just pecking on a screen with your thumbs.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal Sep 5, 2020

A friend of mine is currently in the Navy. He's said that most of the new recruits can't read a paper map, they rely on sat-nav.....and what happens when you are out of range- it's a problem. They will have to teach cartography again.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  5. Marsimaxam Sep 5, 2020

Einstein may not have said this quote about technology which has erroneously been attributed to him:
    “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” – Albert Einstein

But it may not be too far from the truth. What Albert Einstein did say about technology was “I believe that the abominable deterioration of ethical standards stems primarily from the mechanization and depersonalization of our lives – a disastrous byproduct of science and technology. Nostra culpa! [We are to blame!]”

Source: https://africacheck.org/fbcheck/did...n-the-world-will-have-a-generation-of-idiots/

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  6. rob#1 Sep 5, 2020

And don’t get me started on spelling :confused:

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  7. kip595 Sep 5, 2020

I'm 33 and finished grad school at 26. A girl in my classes looked over one day in one of our very last class meetings and noticed me with my notebook - then she asked me: "Are you writing in French?"

...I was just writing in cursive. Whether it was my handwriting or not, it was a cringe moment.

8. JwRosenthal Sep 5, 2020

I started college in 1992 as an architecture student- we learned drafting right out of the gate- I was held back 2 weeks becuase I couldn't get my verticles on N's and M's to not leg out without using a strait edge. I left the architecture program (couldn't do the engineering part- math hurts my brain), and about 2 years later went back to visit some friends and the drafting tables had all been laid flat and upon them were computers- they had transitioned to CAD, they no longer taught drafting.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  9. michael22 Sep 5, 2020

That is an interesting video, Thanks.

My pet freak out with spelling is insure/ensure.
    When society doesn't comprehend the difference between insure & ensure, I worry.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 6, 2020

Almost 55, I was amazed by that video, on the one hand the fact youngsters cannot read an analogue dial and on the other hand the fact that modern watchmakers are inventing "new ways" to display time on a wristwatch... IMHO those modern montrosities have nothing to do with horology :unsure:

Omegafanman likes this.