The ULTIMATE Constellation thread

Is the crown the only difference setting these two references apart or are the cases also different?
They had different reference numbers engraved inside the case. I have never seen both numbers together inside the case like I have for some other models (168.005/6 is a very common signature for solid gold dog-leg cases - the “6” applies if there is also a solid gold dial).

I would assume that there are differences besides the crown. I also remember the in the old Omega database, it said that the .010 was the successor to the .004.
gatorcpa

They had different reference numbers engraved inside the case. I have never seen both numbers together inside the case like I have for some other models (168.005/6 is a very common signature for solid gold dog-leg cases - the “6” applies if there is also a solid gold dial).

I would assume that there are differences besides the crown.
gatorcpa

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I get deeper into these.

Interesting, I found a German catalogue listing both of these as the same case:

HPXSOIs.jpg

Is the crown the only difference setting these two references apart or are the cases also different?

The 168.004 and 168.010 are similar looking but distinctly different watches.
The case backs are different ( but also vary depending on manufacturer.)
The lugs are different widths .004=18mm, .010=19mm lug widths.

The crowns are different, the .004 had a fully hidden crown but the .010 originally had an almost hidden crown - the replacement crowns for both protrude as @gatorcpa describes.

on the subject of 168.004, there is a very rare pre-reference 14918, famously owned by Ringo Starr.

I don’t believe there is a167.008 but there is an uncommon 168.008, which is a C-case with a yellow gold case and white gold bezel.

The 168.004 and 168.010 are similar looking but distinctly different watches.
The case backs are different ( but also vary depending on manufacturer.)
The lugs are different widths .004=18mm, .010=19mm lug widths.

The crowns are different, the .004 had a fully hidden crown but the .010 originally had an almost hidden crown - the replacement crowns for both protrude as @gatorcpa describes.

on the subject of 168.004, there is a very rare pre-reference 14918, famously owned by Ringo Starr.

Many thanks!

The Omega Constellation medallion

HPWiPEJ.jpg

This almost requires a thread on its own.
Applied medallion / impressed medallion.
With and without brickwork ( and when, depending on era)
Sizes of stars and their arrangement.
background finishes.
The lip around the medallIon.

This almost requires a thread on its own.
Applied medallion / impressed medallion.
With and without brickwork ( and when, depending on era)
Sizes of stars and their arrangement.
background finishes.
The lip around the medallIon.

I will dedicate a post to the medallions. I will also dedicate a post to different case shapes to ease navigation through all the references.

Some French cases follow the English numbering system but using a 3 instead of a 5
Eg 168.3004

Some French cases follow the English numbering system but using a 3 instead of a 5
Eg 168.3004

That will also be helpful, thanks again!
I also remember that there is a reference believed to be from Brazil and manufactured by Carci. There are still plenty of things here and there that I will take the time to add on this thread in the coming days/weeks.

That will also be helpful, thanks again!
I also remember that there is a reference believed to be from Brazil and manufactured by Carci. There are still plenty of things here and there that I will take the time to add on this thread in the coming days/weeks.

You are undertaking some task if you want to include all case references, dial types and movements.

In order to not get too confused, might I suggest that you start with focussing on Swiss-only references and perhaps eventually do a separate section on ‘locally-made’ cases.

You are undertaking some task if you want to include all case references, dial types and movements.

In order to not get too confused, might I suggest that you start with focussing on Swiss-only references and perhaps eventually do a separate section on ‘locally-made’ cases.

Yep I will definitely focus on Swiss references at first, just like on the SMDV thread.

You can add
167.015 no date flat dial
167.025 no date pie pan
168.015 date flat dial
168.025 date pie pan

Monocoque Connies.

You can add
167.015 no date flat dial
167.025 no date pie pan
168.015 date flat dial
168.025 date pie pan

Monocoque Connies.

Added, thanks!

You might want to reference this table, put together years ago by @mondodec and shared on the Constellation Collector’s Blog.

It is sorted by caliber. If you can read into Excel, you can sort by case reference or year introduced.

I just don’t think it’s necessary to re-invent the wheel.
gatorcpa

You might want to reference this table, put together years ago by @mondodec and shared on the Constellation Collector’s Blog.

It is sorted by caliber. If you can read into Excel, you can sort by case reference or year introduced.

I just don’t think it’s necessary to re-invent the wheel.
gatorcpa

Amazing, thank you!

All Constellation references feature automatic chronometer graded movements.
That’s not necessarily true. Many 1970’s mechanical models were not chronometers. Don’t forget about quartz Constellations either.
gatorcpa

That’s not necessarily true. Many 1970’s mechanical models were not chronometers. Don’t forget about quartz Constellations either.
gatorcpa

Indeed! I will split the list between chronometer and non-chronometer references.

Oh man, I love this thread so much. Currently trying to find a pie pan Connie in 18k rose for my Mom's birthday. This thread is infinitely invaluable. This certainly is helpful weeding out all the frankenwatches on C24 and eBay. Thanks Vanilla!