The story of my UG Compur

Hello UG lovers!

I wanted to open this discussion for introducing to you a piece of history of my family, which is also the watch that made my interest growing towards the Universal Genève brand.

I would also need some help from you regarding the dial, you will soon understand the reason why..

30 years ago I have inherited this little 18k Universal Genève from my grandfather. The reference is 12215, powered by the familiar 281 caliber and with a case diameter of approx. 30/31mm.

IMG_5409.jpg IMG_5410.jpg

Interestingly, on the caseback there was this engraving "CantZ". My mother explained me that it means “Cantieri Aeronautici e Navali Triestini”. A company now part of the Fincantieri group, which was making airplanes for the Italian air force between the 20s and the 40s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantieri_Aeronautici_e_Navali_Triestini

Now, why my grandfather had that watch? This is because we was a pilot from Italian air force and the watch was donated to him by the company as an award for some mission he accomplished. When he was young he competed in many races, an example is the 1937 Istres–Damascus–Paris air race where he arrived in the second place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1937_Istres–Damascus–Paris_Air_Race

As you might have noticed, I am very attached to this little chronograph! However the fact that the dial is a redial is giving me a sense of displeasure. I believe that the original dial was replaced by some watchmaker during a service in the 80s or 90s. Probably my grandfather used the watch extensively throughout the course of his career, wearing it during the various missions he fulfilled for the Italian air force for the Spanish Civil War and WWII.

I found this reference on the Sala book, suggesting that the model is a Compur and illustrating the correct dial execution.

Sala Book.jpg

What do you guys think about the story? Since for me this watch is more than a simple “souvenir”, could you help me in finding an original dial in order re-establish its original and glorious conditions?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks for looking!
Edited:

What a great bit of history ...

Yes, the dial is a re-print and definitely not the original dial. Finding an original dial would be a miracle! A real shame, but it was common practice in the 50s and 60s

However, I would keep it as it is and document your research as well as your grandfathers achievements if you can with some photos if you can find any. It is a relic of a bygone age of adventure and discovery by intrepid and daring aviators who dared to fly on a wing and a prayer.

Hello, stunning watch and wonderful story.
I’m reading you from Italy, I can’t help you to find an original dial but I really enjoyed this piece of history of my country. Thanks for sharing.
Bye
Alessandro

You may find an original dial at some point- just keep your eyes and ears open for it and time will bring it out of hiding. Might have to purchase a donor watch for it. but I've found some super rare original parts with patience /diligence/ luck!

great story, with patience, maybe you will get lucky!
looks like you need a chrono sweep hand in addition to a dial?
if the current redial doesn't have sentimental significance, and it were me, I might even consider redialing the redial in the meantime, just to get something closer to the original and in better condition.

Make sure you have ebay alerts for the model, as well as on chrono24. You may be able to buy an original watch and cannibalize it for the dial

Many thanks to all of you for reading the story! 😀
I am constantly searching the eBay and other websites. In case you also find something please give me a shout!
Thanks!