Forums Latest Members

The Pomodoro watch, a new complication

1. glnds Jan 17, 2022

Looking around in the world of Horlogerie, I see a lot of technical innovation and craftsmanship like the Horage K2 movement and the Louis Vuitton Tambour Carpe Diem. But new complications or a new complication variation? That's been a while.

For those who are heroes in procrastination, read on!

For years I've been a fan of the "Pomodoro technique". It's a method to get things done. especially annoying ones :)

pomodoro.jpeg

At its core, the Pomodoro Technique is simple. I'll explain it using an example.
    Let's say you need to service a watch, and you estimate that will take around four hours. With this technique, you divide those four hours into Pomodori. One Pomodoro equals twenty-five minutes. That's the period a human brain can easily keep focus. So four hours of work equals around eight Pomodori.
    Next, it's simple. You set your Pomodoro timer (which counts down from twenty-five minutes to zero minutes like an egg counter), and when time is up, an alarm sounds.
    After one Pomodoro, you usually take a short break of five minutes, and then you start the next Pomodoro of twenty-five minutes. Every four Pomodori, you take a longer break of fifteen minutes. That's about it. Those are the rules!

It's a way to organize your work, convenient for things you postpone or when you start to procrastinate :)

For the number of pomodoros per day: 12+ is a really good day. Below 8 is bad, and 16 is spectacular. It all depends on you, how much you have to do, and how fun the work is. It's really hard to pull off 10+ pomodoros on boring work,

I have no clue how familiar this technique is in general. People that are familiar with productivity techniques for sure know this. In some occupations (like IT), it's probably better known than others. Seeing it in The Edge Magazine lets me think it is more common than I thought.

However, it seems no one had the idea to build it into a mechanical watch yet ;-)

The Pomodoro Wristwatch
    regatta.jpeg
    So I started to imagine a watch that would implement the Pomodoro complication. As a Lemaniac, I would start out with a Lemania regatta timer.
    Take those five "dots". With some adjustments, it should be possible to turn the dots into five-minute counters instead of minute ones. In fact, that would already make it a "Pomodoro watch" :)
    Moving it to the "Grail category", one could dream of adding two registers to the dial, counting the finished Pomodori and measuring breaks. An alarm like the Vulcan Cricket could sound when a Pomodoro ends…

Design-wise, it lives in my head with a silver dial, 40mm diameter, red Regatta like 5-minute timer dots, and a big eye register counting finished Pomodori on the right.........Yes, I'm a dreamer :)

IMHO, this would be a practical, "new" complication and a good conversation starter.

Any head of watch development here? As far as I know, this is not patented, so everybody could give it a try! But in case your build one, please reserve serial number 1 or 2 for me ;)

Edited Mar 23, 2022