Forums Latest Members

The Omega Speedmaster "TinTin"...

1. rob#1 Sep 26, 2018

When I purchased my plain old bog-standard Speedy I actually came across two Tintins from different dealers. I often wonder if I should have got one instead as I loved the look of the original racing dial Speedies, and the red writing on the case back is a nice touch. However, I felt that the watch just wasn’t ‘me’ and went with the classic design...
    Has there been any clarification on the total number produced (maybe they’re still making them!), as I can understand the ST prices holding or increasing as they were relatively small batches? I really can’t see how they can be worth the extra $$$$

2. Pun Sep 26, 2018

This watch and it’s related information is shrouded in mystery since it’s launched five years ago, therefore, it’s not strange that we still can’t say for sure about the numbers of watches produced or are still being produced, as you feel, but all this adds to the strange aura this watch is gradually gathering around itself. That may be the reason behind it’s price increase. Just my 2 cents.

3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Sep 27, 2018

Always best to go with how you 'feel' - as you say, 'it just wasn't me,' - rather than buying because others are creating hype around a particular model. I was myself tempted by the Tintin for quite a while, but I realised that it would be a poor substitute for what I really craved, a 3570.40 Racing. The Racing dials are considerably 'richer' in detail and much nicer aesthetically than the Tintin.

Whether or not production was limited to quite a small number would to me be not too important. For its long term collectability I'd suggest a downside is the fact that the design concept was not fully implemented - surely there's something else, (often said to be a rocket image), missing on that dial? I know some are suggesting the 'story' around the halting of the project as originally planned makes the watch collectible, (like a postage stamp with a printing error), but that's something that 'exists' only conceptually - and not visually - outside the watch itself, and is not an especially interesting matter in any case.

mokofoko, rob#1, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 27, 2018

To me the Tintin is a perfectly decent substiture to the 3570.40 indeed... The Tintin value started picking up when the Japan Racing value started hitting 5-figure USD prices. It all makes sense... and both are lovely :)

5. Pun Sep 27, 2018

Yes you have a valid point in view of the story behind TinTin. Only time will tell if collectors remain interested in that story and therefore in the watch or not.

mokofoko likes this.
  6. Skipper_S Sep 27, 2018

this is the (yearly price progress) that chrono24 gives:

upload_2018-9-27_12-45-15.png

Edited Sep 27, 2018
    mokofoko likes this.
  7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 27, 2018

That is pretty cool. I did not know they track sold prices.

8. Skipper_S Sep 27, 2018

This tool is included in your "Watch Collection" section on chrono24.
    You can add your watch, price, condition etc and then you can see this chart.
    You can try it even if you dont own the model... and it will be in your language too ;)

actually they give a price range for your watch by taking into consideration the previous sold prices and current listing prices...and they give you the median which today is 5467€ (4878€ low - 6056€ high)

mokofoko and Pun like this.
  9. septentrio Sep 27, 2018

Never liked the tintin, kind of neglects the understated Speedy look if you ask me. I do see prices steadily increasing.

10. Redbirdsfan70 Sep 27, 2018

I think the story behind Tintin is exactly what makes it interesting to collectors along with the fact that it looks pretty damn cool in the metal. There is enough information out there from RJB as well as others in this thread to make the story stick. Collectors love stories like these and with documented articles on reputable sites like Fratello, it's not just speculation.

mokofoko, Watchmutt, Lonestar and 2 others like this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 1, 2018

Tintin on EBay with box/papers sold for $5900. It appears the bottom is falling out if the market

12. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

I forgot who it was, but one of the higher-ups at Omega (the same guy who has one of the two prototypes with the rocket on the dial) said there were roughly ~3000 made. That's probably about the most accurate answer we'll ever get on the matter. 3000 actually feels a bit high, but that's still a pretty low number considering we're unlikely to ever see this dial reprinted again.

13. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

I love the Japan Racing dial. That color scheme is just beautiful.

14. Skipper_S Oct 4, 2018

I would bet that the number of production is between 1950 up to 1954 based on the below comics' published years.

"Tintin Destination Moon" is the sixteenth volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. The story was initially serialised weekly in Belgium's Tintin magazine from March to September 1950 before being published in a collected volume by Casterman in 1953. (Source: Wikipedia)

"TinTin Explorers on the Moon" is the seventeenth volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. The story was serialised weekly in Belgium's Tintin magazine from October 1952 to December 1953 before being published in a collected volume by Casterman in 1954 (Source: Wikipedia)

It was supposed to be a LE as a tribute to those two stories made by Herge so Omega could use those years ( 1950-1954) for this LE code.

Pun and mokofoko like this.
  15. Ree Oct 4, 2018

FYI The other thread has been updated with the following information:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedy-tintin-information-gathering.33387/

mokofoko likes this.
  16. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 4, 2018

Very nice, this is the first time I've seen this idea floated about, but it certainly is logical. Omega has done things like that before. That's assuming they didn't increase production after they decided to make it a normal edition. But I'm quite happy going with the lower-end of the spectrum :) I'm sure they also created a number of service dials as well, but there's no guessing how many of those were made. I know I've seen at least two generic moonwatches sporting tintin service dials.

Thanks for that! I haven't been very active here in the last year, so I missed that update. He certainly is a credible source, so I'm satisfied with that number!

Pun likes this.
  17. D.D. Oct 10, 2018

During world cup final 2018, saw some fan wearing Tin Tin to show their support of team Croatia. :)

18. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 12, 2018

Pun, tictic and DWash like this.
  19. Pun Oct 12, 2018

20. Ludi Oct 13, 2018

TIntin is not for men only

F7A12F14-546F-4FA4-A77E-70E85DE63D3C.jpeg

MTROIS, Cesare321, NGO1 and 10 others like this.