Forums Latest Members

The Omega Speedmaster "TinTin"...

1. wayneG Feb 23, 2016

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago I was bored. An hour later, I'd ordered one of the following watches. I've had Speedmasters before. Several of them. Old and new. Moon watches, co-axials, 1957 editions. The only models I'm yet to try are the straight-lug variants of the 1960s, mostly because they're a fortune, and I really don't want to mess up when buying one with my limited knowledge.

Anyway, I digress. I was looking at the Fratello Watches blog and noticed an article they'd covered a while ago regarding the Omega Speedmaster Racing model from 2013. The watch was a mainstream model but originally, it was intended to be a Limited Edition version with TinTin rocket logos etc. Unfortunately (or perhaps not), it never happened, but Omega still produced the watch as a "Racing" variant. I've always liked the racing models of the past and find it very fitting as, of course, the Speedmaster was originally intended as a chrono for things such as motorsports anyway. The dial in this case features a red and white band which was originally intended to resemble the TinTin Rocket design.

[​IMG]

So a Speedmaster "Racing" dial with links to a Rocket are pretty apt for such a watch really.

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure on availability as when the watch was released, another factor nearly caused its demise. It was released at Baselworld 2013. You know, the one where a certain other unpopular Speedmaster was announced. I think they called it the Dark Side of the Moon or something.

I went to Baselworld 2013 and I didn't even notice the TinTin. I must have literally gone straight to the DSOTM stand and looked at nothing else. I don't even remember the PO GMT from that year, although I did take some pics of it looking back.

[​IMG]

So anyway, I searched for one of the TinTin models and was really lucky to find one rather more easily than I expected. A few days later, the watch was in my hands and I couldn't be happier with it. I did have a brief moment of madness where I nearly sold it as a flip, but this one should stay. It's a really special watch in my collection.

I love the colour. I know it won't be for everybody, and yes, it's yet another variant of the Speedmaster. I don't care though. I used to think that there are just too many Speedmaster models as do most people. But really, it just means there's probably one for everybody. The recent Snoopy craziness has shown that the LEs can really be very popular, and I've found the same with the 007 Seamaster I'm buying as well. It sold out very quickly because it wasn't over the top like most of the previous Bonds.

[​IMG]

The TinTin was only produced for a short period of time. There's no official number on the amount out there, but they're less common the main model of course, and would make a very nice addition to any collection. RRP is around £2960 I think, and the later ones, such as mine, come with the newer style of wooden, rather than the red material boxes of old.

The watch features the same hesalite and 1861 movement as the standard moonwatch, it comes fitted with the screw-link bracelet, it's 50M WR and features red text on the case-back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can also watch my video review which shows the lume, and later on in the video, I talk about the amazing Omega Museum in Bienne, Switzerland.

Link to the Fratello Watches blog: goo.gl/V4uJ1k

[VIDEO]

2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 23, 2016

Gorgeous photos. Well done!

Samir likes this.
  3. demollo Feb 24, 2016

Thanks for the post. Nice pics !

4. wayneG Feb 24, 2016

Haha I've got two dogs already. Omega didn't offer me a Snowy dog as an accessory luckily!

Thanks for the nice comments :)

Glove, Bruin Watch and dubois like this.
  5. fibonacci086 Feb 29, 2016

Best pics of that ref I could see so far. Thanks for sharing !

destroid likes this.
  6. destroid Feb 29, 2016

First time ever in an Omega Boutique and this was the featured display watch.

Had to pick one up - it's got that 60-70s retro space funk!

image.jpeg

watchos and frazierspa like this.
  7. rbob99 Feb 29, 2016

Thanks for the write-up and the pics. I love mine.

8. Perseus Feb 29, 2016

I think the Tin Tin is a future classic. It's bold without deviating too much from the classic Speedy. Thanks for sharing!

9. dubois Mar 1, 2016

Dear omega Tintin afficonadiaos ;),

an important point to me regarding Tintin Speedy Vs Japan RacingReedition 2004 ,is that the first one has its proper history,"the Moulinsard gate" i named it;) and the famous "Vs between Omega and Herge"the Author of Tintin Adventures..

When the 2004 reedition Japan Racing is desirable in my humble opinion just because of the fame of the 70 s one...

My 2 cents

frazierspa likes this.
  10. wx_073 Mar 1, 2016

Nice pictures, outstanding timepiece! Congrats!!!

11. Jay_watch Apr 11, 2016

Great review of my favorite Speedmaster. Thanks for sharing your views on it!

12. Linzer Apr 23, 2016

I like when people buy watches like you. No speculation for the future, just buy what you like and happy to wear.
    Fantastic pictures about the museum. Congrats!

Capcom, nzshadow, MTROIS and 2 others like this.
  13. CTS-V Jul 12, 2016

Great pics and review!!!

14. sydneywatchguy Jul 12, 2016

Great pick up and nice photos - the 4th one down with the rocket is killer :thumbsup:

15. wayneG Jul 12, 2016

Thanks for the comments. I know a fair few have been bought off the back of my review, and I'm pleased to say I'm still enjoying mine a lot

16. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jul 12, 2016

I have to admit I have a strong itch for this one... plus my kids are Tintin fans... plus it would complement so nicely my Racing Dial MkII... gnnngggnrrrgngn.... must resist...

CTS-V likes this.
  17. grizzlycanuck Jul 12, 2016

Right there with you, been fighting this one for a while

18. Greatpa Jul 15, 2016

Great review!
    And still available from Omega FYI guys!

19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 16, 2016

I was wearing the Tin Tin last night when eating at a restaurant. The place has only been open for a week, so it wasn't very crowded and the managment staff was good about coming around and talking with customers. One manager was standing about 10 feet awy from our table for a while, and then he came over and said "Excuse me, but I have to ask -- is that some sort of special Speedmaster you are wearing?" It turns out he is into vintage Seamasters (he was wearing a '50s Seamaster), and is gunning for a 'Racing' Speedy or a new Aqua Terra.

It was the first time a stranger has asked me about a watch. My dad was there with me, and was amazed that someone would come up and ask about something like that. And I think he was a little disappointed when his ss Cartier tank quartz did not warrant attention :D

bassem abadan, Dr.K, NGO1 and 21 others like this.
  20. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jul 16, 2016

I had to say I was able to handle one today in a GTG... It is very, very tempting... the contrasted dial looks fantastic in the flesh! Thanks Alexis :)

Greatpa likes this.