Forums Latest Members

The Mysterious Zenith S.58

1. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 15, 2013

Legend has it that this watch was issued to helicopter pilots, and that it took its name from the Sikorsky S-58, a helicopter of the same era (first produced in 1953). This notion seemed preposterous to me at first... I mean, this is clearly a diver's watch, not a pilot's watch. But then I learned that the S-58 helicopter was also known as the Seahorse (when configured as a transport helicopter) and the Seabat (when equipped for anti-submarine warfare). Here's a Wikipedia photo of the S-58 at work, dropping a sonar probe to hunt for enemy subs:

[​IMG]

Now there's a helicopter whose pilot might have need of a highly water-resistant time piece. So now the connection to the helicopter no longer seems utterly ridiculous to me, just... nonsensical. Come on, it's a dive watch.

The helicopter legend was put to rest, to the satisfaction of many Zenith aficionados, by Tony C., a Zenith collector who posted this response from Zenith to his inquiry regarding the term "S.58" on the O&P forum a couple of years ago:

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your interest in ZENITH watches.

The collection " S 58 " means S = Super water-resistant up to 150
    meters and 58 for the year of launching the model.
    So nothing to do with helicopter Sikorsky S 58.

With my best regards.

Marc Roethlisberger

ZENITH INTERNATIONAL SA

Customer Service

In that same thread, another collector, Celestograph, proposed that the "S" referred to an improved version of the Zenith Sporto model and that the "58" referred to the International Geophysical Year. I can't say that I put any stock in the Sporto connection - especially since a Zenith representative has reportedly stated that the 'S' stands for "Super" - but the Geophysical Year idea has gained some traction with me. I can't think of another reason why a dive watch would feature the year of its introduction so prominently, on both the dial and the case back. And Celestograph notes that other manufacturers such as JLC and Gruen dedicated models to that event.

So, in my personal Zenith belief system, 'S' stands for Super water-resistant and '58' stands for 1958, and '58 may have been included in the model name because it was the International Geophysical Year. Helicopters and Sportos are out.

Rössler (p.147) tells us that the S.58 was introduced in 1958 and that "the army was the target customer, but technicians, chemists and similar professionals could benefit from it," a silly notion based, perhaps, on the silly French advertising copy below, which depicts the early, bezel-less manual-wind S.58 among some pretty reef fish, because it's a dive watch, super-ètanche, supportant 150 mètres de plongée, not a helicopter pilot watch or army watch or chemist watch or technician watch. This was just a smart advertising guy trying to sell a dive watch to science geeks; the more things change, the more they remain the same. ;) (Photo stolen from LouS without permission. )

[​IMG]

Rössler goes on to say that Cairelli bought up the entire initial production run of 2500 for the Italian navy... OK, now you're talking...

The first run of S.58's contained a manual-wind Cal 120 with hacking feature. Subsequently (Rössler says two years later), an automatic model was released. The automatic S.58's seem to have been powered initially by the Cal 133.8 bumper movement, and next by the Martel-based workhorse, the 2542 PC. Here is an example of a 2542 PC S.58 recently sold on eBay, posted in another thread in this forum:

[​IMG]

Now, on to my watch, which is identical to the example shown in Rössler, with the Cal 120 inside. The movement serial number (very slightly earlier than the Rössler example) dates its production to 1960, probably at the tail end of the initial run of manual S.58's, by which time the bidirectional external bezel had been added. Enough talk... now photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mitka, Jkuback, martinzx and 18 others like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 15, 2013

Wow, boy-o. You're on fire! Coupla Primeros, one in GOLD, a dive watch and now an S.58. Pretty nice haul. This one's interesting because it is pretty clearly a white dial. My light color dial is silver - means each of us has to get two more to complete the set, never mind with and without bezel.

Very nice example.:thumbsup:

Americano74 likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 15, 2013

First off, I bet the guys on that helicopter are really fishing. :p

Second, what's with that dual regulator arm?

4. pitpro Likes the game. May 15, 2013

to be different

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2013

I always do enjoy reading the articles you Zenith guys do, the quality of your writing and fact finding is always excellent

Fost likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2013

Think some of these articles should be stickied, or at the least, a thread that indexes them all should be stickied?

Jkuback and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 16, 2013

That's nice. I did think about trying to slip it into my pocket when I was looking at it for you.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 16, 2013

Search function still works pretty well to find these - I use it often

9. MattS May 16, 2013

Very nice. thanks for sharing this information. Great and rare vintage "primitive era" diver! I guess it is even rarer in this white face version!?

Matt

10. Mare Nostrum May 16, 2013

Thanks for sharing....and a interesting read ! :thumbsup:

11. MacRulez4Ever May 16, 2013

If any one has one for sale i will gladly buy it. Have been looking for one a long time ;)

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 17, 2013

Who the heck knows? Another "undiscovered country" in Zenith-land. No one has seen enough of these to venture the details of production, or more than a rough chronology.

13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 6, 2013

It just occurred to me that, official explanation of "S.58" notwithstanding, the similarity of the name to that of a sub-hunting helicopter might not have been lost on the executives trying to take some market share away from a certain Submariner. You heard the "inside joke tweaking Rolex" theory here first. :)

14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 18, 2013

Around the same time that Norm scored his very nice self-winding S.58, I came upon an earlier model... from before the rotatable bezel became de rigeur for divers... with its original bracelet. Here are some photos of this first-generation S.58 diver, with a friend from Maine:) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bracelet hinge is branded Zenith and dated "2 over 59" in the Gay Freres style, for 2nd quarter 1959. A Gay Freres product, without the GF stamp?
    There is no brand on the clasp - maybe a replacement - but it fits nicely.

There is a case number between the lugs:

[​IMG]

I haven't managed to pop the case back off yet, but the manual-wind Cal 120 inside is keeping good time.

Here it is with the subsequent generation, produced a year later:

[​IMG]

Mitka, jef33, omegasaso12 and 5 others like this.
  15. Hijak Jun 18, 2013

Those S 58s are something...beautiful pieces!!!

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

You know, that just shames the later version with the bezel. Superb!

And BTW, I've seen early Zenith bracelets without the GF chamois before - I doubt it's a replacement.

17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 20, 2013

Thanks. The brick bracelet is very comfortable and sure feels like a GF product. I'm confident that the hinge marked Zenith and the 1959 date is legit... just wondering about the unsigned outer clasp... leaning toward authentic on that too, but I'm biased. I've never seen detailed photos of another example of this bracelet... they seem to be rarissimi. :)

Henry Bowman likes this.
  18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 15, 2016

image.png image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is some more reference material... an early, bezel-free automatic S.58, with a cal 133.8 dating to 1959-60, currently listed on eBay with an asking price of €5999.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/141904706303Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Mitka and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  19. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 16, 2016

The French provenance is a neat detail. IMO this is one of the more elegant iterations of the S.58. :thumbsup:

MMMD likes this.
  20. kpaxsg Nov 23, 2018

Hi Guys, need your help to see if this is any good for this piece?

zenith S58.jpg

jef33 likes this.