The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Vitezi May 6, 2017

Love that pointer date! ::love::

Andersbackstrom likes this.
  2. Andersbackstrom May 6, 2017

Thanks!

3. Nathan1967 May 9, 2017

Hi all

I'm Nathan. i'm from near Henley in the U.K. I've always liked watches but not always in a conscious way, often it's been in the background. But whenever I've had spare cash or spare time, watches become more of a love and come more to the forefront. In the past I've been a collector of other things, music mainly, but never watches. I've a few watches, but am i a collector.? Not sure, yet? One of the OF members said, to paraphrase " I'm like a jackdaw/magpie".....I'm the same, I like too many things and I'm too unfocused to be a proper collector.

My watches
    Omega Seamaster 30- the first, bought in 90's
    Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch 99- nearly bought a Rolex Sub glad I didn't, my all time favourite
    IWC Fleiger Chrono 95- Rock Solid, great watch

Recent vintage additions
    Breitling Top Time 2000 Reverse Panda- a keeper, great value and so beautiful
    Speedmaster 4.5- Maybe one to Flip
    Speedmaster II- A bit rough, but Love it, needs new crystal and a service - but a keeper
    Polerouter Bumper- not really me, one to flip I think

So, where do I go next? Hmmm No Dive watches? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help and advice so far! You've already stopped me from buying a rough Autavia and you were right! This is a great forum, I'm starting to feel "at home" here. Unlike other forums you're "light hearted" but also "serious minded" in your approach and I really like that. Let's have fun, as much as we can, but if someone's out of line, let's call it out.
    I hope to be a useful OF member someday, but until then, it'll be stupid questions I'm afraid!

All the best

Nathan

Paulomega, WurstEver and ahartfie like this.
  4. Nathan1967 May 13, 2017

Tumbleweed Time.....,,sorry OF I think I've bored everyone rigid! Someone, anyone.......continue this thread please?

5. Electron17 May 15, 2017

Hello everyone,

My name is Jan, I am a retired surveyor. I worked for the largest producer of electricity in South Africa until I got early retirement in 2015. I now live in a small town called Jeffreys Bay in South Africa. If you are into surfing you may remember the shark attack at the j Bay open a couple of years ago!

I got my first Omega while still at school in about 1970 and still have the watch. It has given me good service over the years until the advent of digital watches. I then used a digital watch for some time as the Omega was too good to take into the African bush. I now have 5 Omegas, my original one, my late fathers 18 ct gold Omega Constellation, a 50th Anniversary Speedmaster, a Seamaster 300m and an orange Planet Ocean. I also have many Seikos ( about 10 I think ).

I am looking forward to reading a lot on the forum and being able to contribute where I can.

Cheers,
    Jan

Edited May 15, 2017
    ahartfie and Nathan1967 like this.
  6. Golfjunky May 23, 2017

Hi all,

My name is Greg, I have just moved to a small town near Standsted airport. I work as a sales executive for a company supplying engine spares to the Marine and land power sectors.

I have loved watches from a very young age, my first was a Timex Ironman (the one with the orange highlights) which i sadly no longer have. I then got what i thought was my first big boy watch at the age of about 12ish this Animal watch, recently found again and just put a rubber strap on it for basher use.
    [​IMG]

I had that watch up until about 20 then stopped wearing a watch for a while. in 2009 i got a big bonus at work and went straight out to Bluewater and got this !
    [​IMG]

within a few months i was hooked on automatic watches and realised that i was babying my Seamaster so much that i needed a daily auto, which lead me to find Christopher Ward watches. this C8 came in
    [​IMG]

after that i got a C9 GMT
    [​IMG]

After joining the CW forum it lead me to other micro brands and i got this Steinhart
    [​IMG]

somewhere along the journey i got this limited edition COSC C60 and Black/Blue C60
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I never saw myself as a flipper as thought i would keep all my pieces, that was until one day i posted on picture of a 3576.50.00 on black leather on a thread named 'what watch are you day dreaming about', it was what i thought was the perfect Smart casual watch that could do everything (apart from water but i had my seamaster for that) within a few hours i had a PM from a guy in Aus willing to sell me said watch. everything got sold except the seamaster to make way for this amazing watch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully contributing

Thanks for having me

Greg

Edited May 23, 2017
    noelekal, GregH, X350 XJR and 3 others like this.
  7. SouthernScot May 23, 2017

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here, I have only been a member since March after lurking around for a while, it becomes addictive!
    In spite of my name an avatar I spent a couple of years at school in Newport not too far from Stansted more years ago than I care to remember.
    Excellent introduction by the way!

8. Micmana May 29, 2017

I'm Mic, and I never really considered myself a big watch person until I read @Golfjunky 's intro and began backtracking how many watches I've owned since I was a kid, which probably started with a Mickey Mouse watch that was soon replaced by a Casio with a calculator in third grade.

Fast forward, when I could, I bought myself an IWC Portofino, that was followed by a JLC reverso duo and I thought it ended there. A trip to a friend's shop (he makes custom leather straps) changed everything.

I told him I just needed a strap for a 15-year old Tissot whose strap died a natural death. When I saw his stuff I had a vision of a vintage speedy in a vintage strap. Well, that lead me to OF - first just to look for a vintage speedy - but I now find myself reading more and more posts ranging from the most technical movement-related ones, to everyday watch stories. (And the occasional peep into the watch sales, hahaha!)

Cheers to OF and its members!

ahartfie likes this.
  9. noordijn May 29, 2017

Hi All,

I'm Ike, just bought myself a Speedy Pro Hesalite 005, big thanks to other forum member to help me made the decision on that model . This will be my 2nd serious watch after long time of hiatus wearing a "nice" watch (will explain below). Previously I owned Tag Heuer (forgot the model as it's been 20 years - it was my college graduation gift from my parents... lol). My midlife crisis has brought me to this expensive hobby and I've decided, it has to be Omega.

The story behind why I haven't been wearing one after almost 16 years not wearing one. Back in summer of 2001, I was visiting, my parents in NY.C while I was there my Tag links were broken so I had to bring to one of jeweler's shop, it was my Mom's idea to bring it to her go to shop in Manhattan (not knowing in where in Manhattan but I give her the watch). So I left the watch with her, trusting she will bring it and pick up anytime she can.

Fast fwd to couple months later, she keeps forgetting the watch so did I. And boooomm that 9/11 happened, off course in state of desperation as everyone else in US, never really paid any attention until she mentioned to me, Hey I think the store which I took your watch is closed now because of the 9/11and not sure if it will open anytime soon (and it hasn't been), as it was only few blocks from the twin tower... I was like whatttt... how could you and why???...from all jeweller's shop in Manhattan you have to bring it to the one near WTC??? .... I was joking off course ..LOL and told her it's okay Mom, I was glad you weren't there when that big event happened, your safety is more important to me than anything else!

So ever since that happened I never really put any interests for a nice/expensive watch. Even before I purchased the Speedy (which is today from one of the reputable seller on the sale forum), I only have Samsung gear watch (1 and 3), but hey here I am and am excited to have my watch in couple days :)

10. Karbon May 30, 2017

Hi all,
    Steve here from Wisconsin. Chemist by day, outdoor enthusiast anytime out of the office lab. Archery, hunting, shooting, hiking, fly fishing, golf, etc...

Long time luster, first time buyer of a PO 45.5. Resco Kauffman left in order to secure the PO and while I will miss it, the PO should fit in nicely!

11. Motman May 31, 2017

Hello everyone
    Another Steve here. I'm from Essex, just outside London. I've joined up here to learn about Omega watches as I will be getting one for my 60th birthday later this year (born in 1957). Current contenders are the Speedmaster 57 60th anniversary limited edition (not seen one yet, I am on the list at the OB and they are expected in in July), a regular Speedmaster 57 or Speedmaster pro - the one with sapphire front and rear cases - 'sapphire sandwich' I've heard them called. I'm not a collector at all - I only own one watch, a Tag Aquaracer which I was wearing when I visited the OB and the assistant commented that I may feel the LE may feel too small on me compared to the Tag I was wearing. I need to see all three (or possibly more) at the same time to help make a decision. I know at least one of my possibles is a manual wind. Are there any benefits with manual wind vs automatic such as more frequent servicing etc or is it just down to personal choice?

SouthernScot likes this.
  12. SouthernScot May 31, 2017

Hello Steve welcome to the forum I'm sure you will enjoy your time here and there are many people much more knowledgeable than me who will be able to offer you excellent advice. I may be a bit biased because I have a 60th Speedmaster on order and have an Ed White which I have had for fifty years. I am now seventy which I find unbelievable! Ten years ago on my sixtieth birthday my wife bought me a Seamaster Aqua Terra. The Speedies are manual wind and the Seamaster an automatic, I find little difference in servicing or use and think it really just comes down to how you feel about a particular watch. Good luck and enjoy choosing your new watch.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  13. Temprus Jun 1, 2017

Hello everyone, my name Alexis, I am from Argentina. I am a watchmaker. I did not choose the watches - the watches chose me. And about ten years ago I dedicate myself to the repair and restoration of old wrist watches. Last two years I spend more time repairing and restoring Omega watches. I am here to learn more, with your help, about Omega watches. My web page is www.temprus.com.ar .
    My Instagram is. https://www.instagram.com/temprustime
    Thank you

14. Nathan1967 Jun 4, 2017

Nice work, nice watches Welcome

15. CandyHands Jun 7, 2017

Hi all, Steve from Philly here. New owner of a PO and I love it. My collection includes a 60 year old Hamilton automatic made in PA and the "other" moonwatch.

Looking forward to learning much here.

Now, who wants a cheesesteak??

Nathan1967 likes this.
  16. Allen Farmelo Jun 7, 2017

Hi Everyone! I'm Allen, and I'm a lifelong, but on-and-off, collector of watches. I seemed to need to rid myself of watches a couple times over the past few decades (silly, anti-materialistic streak in me!), but have returned to owning, collecting and enjoying them with unbridled enthusiasm lately. I have a very strong passion for Seamasters of all kinds, but especially anything with a warm "bursty" dial. I also have a thing for Yacht Timers, as I grew up sailing. I own a number of Omegas, including this pair of whisky-toned beauties. I really look forward to learning more from everyone here, and am excited to dive back into watches again! 20170606_113543.jpg

17. SouthernScot Jun 10, 2017

Welcome to the forum Allen, I'm sure you won't be disappointed that you joined. You have a really nice pair of Seamasters there.

Allen Farmelo likes this.
  18. panic k. Jun 12, 2017

Greetings from Cyprus. Name is Panayiotis 36 married with a kid!! I'm the only one Cypriot here? Probably.
    Well new to the world of Omega but lusted over an Aqua Terra forever. When the time came i purchased a Planet Ocean instead. Tried the new nodel but felt huge so i went with a 2500 instead. To be honest i wanted a speedmaster. Still do. I went to an Omega butique and tried it but felt too small. I guess i'm not ready for 42mm just yet. I'd love the 44mm speedmaster but i prefer the looks of the 42 and the size of the 44. So hopefully i will get one by next year.
    Anw always was a fan of watches but limited budget and other interests kept me of buying an expensive one so i kind of settled with Seiko and some fashion brands. Still have some. Now not going back though. Goal is a nice watch per year. Speedmaster or panerai (radiomir) being the next target.
    Some photos. Currently on bracelet

20170610_123703.jpg 20170527_001501.jpg
  19. any4xx Jun 12, 2017

Hi Folks,

Tom from the central CA coast area. I'm 57 and have always loved mechanical things. Mostly I've played with cars, motorcycles, and firearms my whole life. I've never been able to walk past a watch display without stopping to look. But the "practical" side of me has always kept me from buying anything other than an el-cheapo digital watch. Even though I've always lusted for the nice mechanical ones.

As I've aged I've given up on the motorcycles and am down to just a couple of cars. In the past few months I've been really contemplating spending some money on a nice watch. Like most ignorant folks, I figured on buying a Rolex Submariner and being happy. But the more I read and visited stores, the more I was drawn to the Seamaster over the Rolex. A few weeks ago I finally sprung for one. Then I figured I still needed a Rolex, so started shopping for a Daytona. But again... Research and comparison shifted my desires and I closed the deal today on a Speedmaster. So two fine watches purchased in as many weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm done for a few months. But I'm even more sure that when I spring for #3, it'll likely be another Omega.

So here I am to learn from you all.

20. Sir Yvo Jun 13, 2017

Crazy in love...

Hi everybody i salute you from the Netherlands. My name is Yvo and i consider myself a watch enthusiast and collect affordable watches from a few brands. I have a Breitling superocean, several TW Steels and only recent two Bulova Accutrons (vintages). When I bought the Accutrons I was struck by the beauty of the Omega Constellation Electroquartz F8192. So now I'm looking for a reasonable priced one. I hope and pray ;-) that this forum can help me find my new love... for now!

Kind regards

Nathan1967 likes this.