Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2017

Welcome mate, make a new thread in the vintage Omega topic with what you're after in terms of the vintage dress watch and the budget / style you like and I'm sure you'll get some ideas.

2. Amh82 Jan 22, 2017

Thanks dsio - will do :thumbsup:

3. BurntAvocado Jan 22, 2017

Hey everyone my name is Matt and I'm new to the Watch world. I recently discovered that I enjoy the complex workings of the watch world and I have decided to start a collection. I currently wear a Burberry watch that I discovered is manufactured by Swatch and simply has a Burberry face. Not a "watch enthusiasts watch" so I'm in the market. I have discovered that Vintage Omegas are extremely reasonable and that I should begin my journey there. What a better place to start a collection than at the end of the Greek alphabet. That being said if anyone sees anything vintage and Omega $500< I would love to look into it. I'm looking forward to hanging around these forums.
    Regards,
    Matt

dsio likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2017

Please check the Private watch sales forum here, you'll find a lot of vintage Omega there and others.

dsio and BurntAvocado like this.
  5. Lewismark Jan 24, 2017

Another newbie introduction here, I'm Mark a building surveyor in the UK. Mainly into military watches but interested in anything and everything. No Omegas at the moment but have had several previously - WWW's and 53's.

nonuffinkbloke, dsio and noelekal like this.
  6. agee Jan 24, 2017

Welcome to the Forum Mark
    Happy to see you made it

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  7. duc Jan 24, 2017

Hello Kai. I lived in Kailua for 10 years (Akipola Street) while I worked at Pearl. If you have to miss a great opportunity like a LE Speedy, it's best when the reason is you live in Hawaii. ;)

8. Lewismark Jan 24, 2017

Hey Andy good to see you here. I should have guessed!!

9. djfunksalot Jan 24, 2017

Hi, I'm Steve. I'm a linux admin and computer programmer from philadelphia. I'm deep in the throws of a mechanical watch obsession. It all started with the new apple watch, which has some amazing watch faces that are meant to emulate a real watch. I decided to return it because I couldn't get past the annoyance of having to wake it. I bought a 563 cal seamaster on ebay which I think is beautiful. My goal is to be able to service my own watches. I'm learning with each mistake and can't resist the urge to tinker. I'm going to need a lot of parts.

IMG_6545.JPG IMG_6550.JPG IMG_6553.JPG IMG_6556.JPG
    Edited Jan 24, 2017
    ConElPueblo, dsio and duc like this.
  10. alohatime Jan 28, 2017

No way, I grew up 10 min away in Kaneohe. Thank you for your service to your country at Pearl Harbor !

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 29, 2017

Welcome. We have a few people here who are learning to service their own watch. @JimInOz might be able to point you to a great step-by-step guide on some cheap seiko movements

Edit: found it
    http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/

Edited Jan 29, 2017
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2017

Welcome to the forum, and..................that's the scariest intro comment this year :eek:.

The parts bucket for vintage Omegas is not overflowing, or even 1/4 full and it's getting lower every day. In addition, for some you will need access to a watchmaker with an Omega Parts Account.

On the other hand, Seiko has not strangled the parts market for their watches and 90% can still be found on the used market.

I'd suggest you buy a few Seiko 7S26 or similar clunkers from eBay and start the basic course that @CanberraOmega listed. It got me going and now look where I am :D.

After a couple of years learning on Seikos you may be able to start on your vintage Omegas.

Good Luck with your Projects :thumbsup:.

Cheers

Jim.

PS: Any questions you can post them or PM some of the members.

And here's some light reading to keep you fired up (or scare you off).

https://omegaforums.net/threads/i-have-the-technology.51556/

13. vitriol Jan 29, 2017

Hi Folks,
    In past few years I've been collecting mid-tier watches, mostly Seiko few Tissots and so on. Flipper, who flipped a lot. It could be just a New Year' thing, but decided to cumulate for 3-4 pieces. Currently I own SMPc and PO, looking forward to adding burgundy Tudor BB and the Moonwatch.
    Registered here to learn should I buy a hesalite one or sapphire one;) and probably other useful things, as OF looks like a knowledgeable community.
    Cheers

14. Vulffi Jan 30, 2017

Hi all,

I've been a member of a number of local (Nordic) watch forums and stumbled across this lovely site when searching for info on my Speedmaster (345.0808 Cu, 1987). I have always been interested in (vintage) watches and bought my first vintage mechanical chrono at the end of the eighties. On a business trip to Copenhagen 20 ? years ago I saw a beautiful Omega Seamaster (ref. 105.001, 1963 ?) at a local watchmaker/dealer that I bought on the spot. Next Omega is my Avatar, a NOS 1958 ? (1601xxxx) Ladymatic Seamaster (ref. 2942) that is currently serviced and waiting a few days for my wifes birthday :). I registered here to learn more about Omegas and take part in the knowledgeable discussions about watches.

Cheers

P.S. I know that the pushers on the Seamaster are wrong, and looking for new ones... This is the best a authorized Omega service could provide...

Seamaster.jpg
    Jwit, nonuffinkbloke, marcn and 2 others like this.
  15. mph57 Feb 2, 2017

Hi everyone,

New forum member from Maryland. I just wanted to post a quick introduction. I've been enjoying mechanical watches since approximately 2007 or so. Right now I have just a small collection of seven watches. Nothing too interesting as all are at least a decade or more older. I'm looking forward to gaining insight into the Omega brand...especially some on the vintage side. Hopefully, sometime in the future, I can contribute as well. Posted a picture of three of the watches that I am currently wear in rotation.

Kind regards!

Three IWC Marks.jpg

marcn likes this.
  16. sleepyhead Feb 5, 2017

Hello all. Longtime lurker here. I enjoy reading all the informative threads and figured it was time to be an active member. My only mechanical watch is my dad's treasured Seiko world time. I hope to add to it shortly. How could you not, after spending hours on OF?

1486351074183-831745440.jpg
  17. watchpatrol Feb 6, 2017

Hey guys,

Just joining today -- I've been a huge watch guy for the last 5 years. I'm particularly passionate about tool watches (divers, chronographs, pilots, etc). Two of my favorite watches are my Speedy and my Seamaster 2254. I love to write about watches on my blog (http://60clicks.com) and I've written some software to help collectors find watches across the various forums (http://watchpatrol.net).

I'm originally from Minneapolis but fled south a couple of years ago and now reside in Sunny Scottsdale, AZ.

Looking forward to contributing here in the Omega Community.

oddboy likes this.
  18. brΩm Feb 9, 2017

How do

19. chuckbass Feb 11, 2017

Hi all! I'm excited to be here, having worked in an Omega AD for the last 3 years whilst at university, now graduated and have time to peruse the forums a little bit more (and a grad job with income worthy of spending on watches!)

Based in Australia, so good to see that this forum is Aus-hosted.

PS does anyone know of how to change usernames on here? Thank you!

20. EdistoJim Feb 12, 2017

Allow me the formality of introducing myself: I'm a down home southern youngster with a keen interest in Omega, I even saw a Speedmaster
    in the wild yesterday. Fascinating. Thanks in advance for a nice site.

pitpro and MikiJ like this.