Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Rodmar Jan 7, 2017

Time to introduce myself as I'm now officially an owner. I've really been heavy into modifying my cars and collecting firearms for a few years now and for some reason, I decided out of the blue that it was time to get into the watch game. I've been wanting a sea master for quite some time as I've been a Bond fan since I'd say I could watch TV. With my time in Afghanistan I purchased a few fake omegas and breitling. I've never wore them but thought they were cool while I was there!

I'm hoping for a career change within the next 2 years to afford me the luxury of grabbing more.

I jumped head first into buying with my first SMP 300 this week. I plan to make a few more purchases this year when I find what I want.
    My short list is
    Breitling Navimeter
    Jupiter
    Omega speed master
    SMP 300 black dial
    Explorer isq

Kreindog24, oddboy and KingTriton32 like this.
  2. tempusfugit861 Jan 7, 2017

Hi. I'm Leigh, and I am a watch enthusiast with a handful of old watches. My husband got me involved in horology. I look forward to learning a lot from the members here and hopefully contributing something one of these days.

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 7, 2017

Welcome, George.

Heuer Monaco 1133B? First automatic chronograph?
    Just don't post that heresy on the Zenith subforum and we won't have any trouble. ;)

4. g-rex Jan 8, 2017

New guy here from Philadelphia. Been working on my collection for a few years but it's slow going since I chose the quality over quantity route. Currently have a Citizen Eco-Drive, Rolex Datejust, Omega 2535.80 Seamaster GMT, and a recently acquired Omega Seamaster 2577 vintage that isn't running. Trying to work on that..

Since nothing exists without pictures, here they are. :)

20170108_071437.jpg 20170108_071412.jpg
  5. marval Jan 9, 2017

Hi all...my name is Marc...nice to meet ya'll. I originally was joining to try to sell a watch but after lots of reading found that I won't be able to do that for a while. I was given a 40th Anniv Apollo 11 watch (Seamaster) by my ex as a birthday present a few years ago (the issue # is 3xx7/7969) as the launch date was my birthday in 1969. Reading through vintage collections here, I'm going to stick around for a bit, although I'll probably sell the current watch somewhere in the meantime :) I guess for my opening question...How important is it to have the original box and coin that came with the watch as it seems I probably won't be able to retrieve those from the ex-SO. Again nice to meet everyone

oddboy likes this.
  6. Allen Dreadmon Jan 9, 2017

Hello everyone,

My name is Gilbert, I'm 38 years old from Toronto, Canada. I'm a music producer and songwriter and work in television broadcasting.

The user name is just what I've used on shoe forums - it's a word play on Allen Edmonds. No, my name is not Allen (let's get that out of the way) :)

I recently caught the vintage Omega bug. I thought it was time to buy my first nice watch - one that would look great with my wedding ring (I'm getting married in May). I was immediately drawn to the vintage Omegas from the 50s and 60s due to their simplicity and clean lines. I bought my first Omega last week and absolutely love it. Planning to add more vintage Omegas in the near future. I really love the "coat hanger" S. From what I've read, it was used until 1963?

I will add photos of the watch once I figure out how to.

Looking forward to reading all about Omega and perhaps asking a question or two and taking advantage of the collective knowledge on this forum.

Cheers.

oddboy, KingTriton32 and Rodmar like this.
  7. KingTriton32 Jan 12, 2017

Hello OF,

My name is J.R., and I'm 27 years old. I am a real estate developer and I thoroughly enjoy omega watches. I celebrate milestones and achievements with watches, and with each purchase I write a note to the person that will inherit each watch. I was initially drawn to luxury watches in general after the sale of my first deal, but I find myself always gravitating back to omega.

I started small with my first watch, a speedy reduced 3510.50. A few months later I purchased a PO 2200.50. I also own a 2014 Seamaster 300m Chrono in the 44mm version. And, as I was typing this, just found out that I won a bid for a navy on navy stainless globemaster.

I enjoy reading all of your thoughts, and I hope to be able to contribute with what little I know.

Thanks,

JR

oddboy and Rodmar like this.
  8. Allen Dreadmon Jan 13, 2017

Hi J.R., welcome. Please post some pics of your Globemaster when it comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. KingTriton32 Jan 13, 2017

I certainly will. Shockingly, it is scheduled to be delivered today already... so maybe I'll have some pictures this afternoon.

10. marcn Enough space to say witty Jan 13, 2017

I should really have done this already...

I'm a web developer in northern California just outside Sacramento, 47 (born a few months before the moon landing), father of two - soon to be three - all boys.

I'm a lifelong watch enthusiast, not a collector per se, and a "serial monogamist" — I'm very happy to wear one watch, every day, usually about 5 years or until I'm just done with it. I almost never part with my watches, and love them and their inner wonders in ways I bet you all understand and share.

I'm a big believer in not buying things you can't or won't use the way they're intended. Getting that first scratch or ding is a relief, as it frees me up from admiring it as something in a state of perfection and moves me along to making it a total extension of me - warts and all.

Right now the only watch I'm wearing is a new Speedy Pro and before that a fantastically accurate PO with a 2500 movement, and before that an 18k yg De Ville that's about to go in - today actually - for full service.

Contemplating a big stupid spend for my 50th in a couple of years, perhaps a Lange.

Grail watch: Anything RWSmith, but that will just never happen, but a guy can dream, right?

Watch I could totally impulse buy, and know I'd never regret it: Explorer (2016)

First watch: pic attached — via google search, I don't actually have this watch any more. :)

Cheers.
    Marc

fonz_watch.jpg

11. KingTriton32 Jan 13, 2017

as requested :)

IMG_20170113_122812696_HDR.jpg IMG_20170113_122941002.jpg
  12. Allen Dreadmon Jan 13, 2017

Wow! It's breathtaking. Amazing blue dial!!

KingTriton32 likes this.
  13. KingTriton32 Jan 16, 2017

It really is great. Even better in person.

14. Allen Dreadmon Jan 16, 2017

I actually did see it in person (rose gold/blue) at an AD over the weekend! It's bigger and definitely heavier than my vintage Seamaster Special by comparison. But it is a killer watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. El Generalissimo Jan 16, 2017

Hello everyone, my name is Ben. I have been lurking around this website for a while, and I decided to join. I am looking forward to getting my first Speedy MW. Why? I am an engineer, and I have decided to get a Speedy because it's place in history. I hope to get a new one and build my own history with it, and pass this watch to my son, sometime in the distant future (I hope that I didn't jinx myself).

This is a great forum for information. On to the hunt for a Speedy.

oddboy and KingTriton32 like this.
  16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 16, 2017

Nice intro Ben. You'll enjoy it here. They're a nice helpful bunch. Lot of amusing witty banter but, (most important) they really know their stuff.

17. hudamang Jan 19, 2017

Hello! I've also been a lurker and have started reading watch articles about 6 months ago or so. Before that, I believed my iPhone was enough for a watch.

Last year, I bought a Nomos Tangomat as my first real watch. I really like it even though friends think their giant Nixon watches are way better.

Then I bought a 1972 Rolex Datejust from a friend. He didn't know if it was real or not and gave it to me for $400 since he said it was too small, even after finding out it was genuine. I took it for service and they replaced the lume, crown, etc. At first I was upset they didn't keep things original as I requested but I wear it and actually like that it looks new.

I also bought an Apple Watch v2, which I wear often now.

The speedmaster has always intrigued me. I'd probably buy a #speedytuesday version if I didn't live in the West Coast and woke up too late to reserve one. However, I recently saw a seamaster chronograph 321 that looked amazing. I'm hoping to pick one up if one comes available for not too much $$$$.

Other hobbies: Aspiring fisherman, Tropical aquariums, Wine, Bourbon (Including some vintage ones that are as old as some old watches I've seen on this forum! :)

Great forum and I'm hoping to be more active once I purchase my first Omega!

Kreindog24 and Jwit like this.
  18. domayotte Jan 21, 2017

Hello everyone! New member to the forum today. I have an older Omega Seamaster I acquired in a trade, and became enameled with the brand. That said, I love watches of all sorts, from vintage mechanical to atomic G-Shocks. I've appreciated the forum info for a while now, so thought I would join in!

19. alohatime Jan 21, 2017

Hello ! My name is Kai and I've caught the Speedmaster bug. I'm a huge fan of NASA and science and have read everything on the internet about watches in space and the Speedmasters history. My grail would be one of the Alaska Project watches. I saw one for sale on this site last December for $5,500. Although, the new Speedy Tuesday watch is making me rethink the 2008 LE 1970 release. Unfortunately I live in Hawaii, so by the time I woke up the ST had all sold out. :( Being Japanese, I am also a Seiko fan.

I look forward to having many discussions with all of you!

Jwit likes this.
  20. Amh82 Jan 22, 2017

Hi everyone, yet another newbie here!!

I have been into watch collecting for a few years now, as well as some fettling & modding! My collection is predominantly vintage Seiko, but I'm looking to branch out a little.

Have often thought of adding a Speedy Pro or maybe 2254 Seamaster my collection, maybe one day!

I'm currently looking for a vintage dress watch and my research often lead me to this great forum, so thought it would be nice to join up and hopefully learn from those who know best!!

cicindela and Rodmar like this.