Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Bennykwa Nov 1, 2016

Hi hi, I'm Ben. Born in Germany. Raised in NYC. S
    I was a tank mechanic With the USMC. Moved to Europe thirteen years ago with a marketing job and I can't imagine moving back.

I love tinkering with watches. It calms me. Sort of like knitting for some.

Funnily, I have owned many Omega but have none currently left in the collection (for the time being)

My "collection" consists mostly of military and vintage pieces. Trying to clean house and be happy with only 4 watches, but that is proving more difficult than expected.

Glad to be here.

2. Bennykwa Nov 1, 2016

here's one I sort of miss:

image.jpeg
  3. ScottyCameronNut Nov 1, 2016

Hello,

Eric from ND here. Just bought my first Omega last week and already have a few more on the want list!

Just joined the site and am looking forward to getting to know the members here and learning about these amazing watches.

4. PowerChucker Nov 3, 2016

Hi! Im Adam, im 42, a watch nut, and have been in IT for about 13 years, and was an auto mechanic for about 10 years before that. I have 3 young boys, and they are a handful to say the least! Im trying to get them into watches at an early age. Im trying to explain how they work and so far I think they are getting it.
    I dont have any nice watches, only affordable Micro brand divers, but one day I really want to own a black or Blue SMPc.
    but what I have now is
    Karlskrona Baltic Shield
    Helm Vanuatu V2
    SKX009 (in mail on way to me)
    Casio MDV-106 (Marlin 200m diver)
    I got turned on to watch trading about 4-5 months ago, and have been obsessed with finding perfect divers, I have gone through over a dozen watches since then, had as many as 10 in my collection at one time, to now a bare minimum of cool divers. helm2.JPG kbs1.JPG helm6.JPG marlin1.JPG

5. christer12 Nov 6, 2016

Hi all,

Christer here from Sweden. Have always tought that buying expensive watches is eh, not to smart, and buying more than one is plain stupid. That was before I bought my first mechanical watch a year ago, a Seiko Skx007. In almost the same time I got a bunch of old watches from my father that he hadn't used for 50 years. As I didn't know anything about watches and especially nothing about vintage watches I started asking questions on a Swedish forum. There I learned that my fathers watches was quite rare so my first instinct was to sell them. But the more I read and learned the more hooked I got. Making a long story short, I didn't sell any of the watches instead I bought a lot more watches (stupid me ;)).

Here's a couple of the watches I got from my father and started all this madness:

upload_2016-11-6_22-23-57.png

and here is my latest (with valuable help from guys here):
    upload_2016-11-6_22-28-45.png

but this is my favorite:
    upload_2016-11-6_22-33-57.png

//Christer

roryoc11 and Jwit like this.
  6. Buster Nov 9, 2016

Hello,
    In 1968 when I was 13 years old my father bought me an Omega Seamaster which unfortunately was stolen from my gym locker at school that year. In February of this year I fulfilled a long time wish to own another one. I bought an Omega Seamaster Auqa Terre from the OB on Fifth Avenue in New York City.

7. psk31 Nov 10, 2016

Just a short word to say hello, and to thank the forum mods and contributors for providing such an informative and addictive community concerning all things Omega.
    I've oogled the Seamaster line since I was tall enough to smear up the glass display at our local jewellers, but only recently had the enough loose change and an excuse to actually purchase one. For this I squarely blame the Omega Forums, and in particular Matt (mdgrwl) who answered all my noobile questions and made me feel at home here.
    So here we are. Its only been ~3 weeks actively reading everything sm and I have a 300 SMPc on its way to its first home.
    I look forward to the journey, and hope to learn much with all your help.

Best regards,

psk31
    (Calgary)

demollo, Jwit, mdgrwl and 5 others like this.
  8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 10, 2016

Welcome, and if you have been lurking for a while you should by now realise that pictures are mandatory once your first omega arrives

9. psk31 Nov 11, 2016

Roger that. I've been looking for the appropriate "wrist model" who's arm hair won't clash with the SM-blue face.

10. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Nov 11, 2016

Welcome to the forum:thumbsup:
    You will need a lot more loose change once that first watch arrives...

Greatpa likes this.
  11. Greatpa Nov 14, 2016

And the same with the excuses :)

12. Omega1 Nov 14, 2016

Welcome to the madhouse.. and one watch is NEVER enough...

Greatpa likes this.
  13. psk31 Nov 14, 2016

Thanks guys, but your starting to worry me. Is there a Timex forum on the net? ;)

14. tab10 Nov 14, 2016

Good evening,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now, but just decided to join. My fiance gave me my first automatic watch as gift which has sparked an interest in watches.

Anyways, I'll be getting my first Omega within a couple of months. I'm going to get the hesalite Moonwatch (311.30.42.30.01.005)

Great site ya'll got here!

15. G-Web Nov 16, 2016

Hi Folks,

I'm Grant. I've been active on TZ since 2004, and more recently TRF over the last few years. While I'm more of a Rolex guy generally speaking, there will always be a special place in my heart for Speedmasters. My first big watch purchase was in the late 90's, I was returning from some time spent in Japan. I can't remember whether it was Kansai or Narita, but I drooled over the Omega case at duty free for an hour or so before cracking my piggy bank open on a Speedmaster Professional (must have been a 3570.50). If I recall correctly, it was right around $1750 at the time.

Sadly I sold that one as I began to get more into watches, but over the years I've bought and sold a number of Speedmaster Pros. Recently I was lucky enough to acquire a couple of hot LE's (pictures below). While I certainly enjoyed these, I think the straight-up, off-the-rack moon watch is simply unbeatable. Lately I've been getting more interested in 145.022 and 145.012, and I'm starting to get a sense for just how much I've got to learn. Which brings me here. As I get more into Speedmasters, and think about picking up some older pieces, I look forward to learning from the good people here.

So thanks in advance, and cheers. It's good to be here.

-Grant

Gone but not forgotten.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jwit, gostang9, dlg and 1 other person like this.
  16. mdgrwl Nov 17, 2016

Thanks Kirby - I appreciate the kind words.

17. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2016

I like the new guy. He installs an avatar and DIDN'T buy a Speedmaster. :thumbsup:

18. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 17, 2016

Yet :D

kkt, ulackfocus and Jwit like this.
  19. BFunky Nov 18, 2016

Hello to all,

My name is Bas, im from 'The Netherlands' .
    Couple of days ago, my dad gave me his old watch, a mark 4.5.
    So the Omega fever has gotten me.
    Now my mission will be to find a new bracelet, the old one has some worn out spots.
    And maybe give this beauty a new sunburst polish.

IMG_20161118_190108.jpg

ahartfie, Jwit and Taddyangle like this.
  20. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 18, 2016

Great looking watch man! Welcome to OF!

Many here will tell you not to have it polished. Original & unpolished is what many strive for here, and often that gives it the most value. I like to think of all the scratches, dings, and dents as a story of the watches life, and in this case your father's life as well!
    However beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Wear it in good health!

-Jake

ahartfie likes this.