Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 18, 2016

Welcome! Another Torontonian here. Apollo 11 30th? Got a pic?

2. golyaht Aug 18, 2016

Not yet. But I'll post upon delivery!

oddboy likes this.
  3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 21, 2016

Hello!

I suppose I should properly introduce myself since I've been spending a fair amount of time reading through this site. My name is Jake, I am 22 y/o, from Buffalo NY and I have recently graduated from college(undergraduate).

My fascination with watches started about a year and half ago with a (please forgive me, I feel dirty for saying this) Walmart watch. I bought it because I needed a watch as I was studying to become an EMT. I didn't know anything about watches at the time and I didn't want to spend too much money on something that was going to get puked on, bled on, and banged around at work. (I still wear a cheap watch for work and I hate it but it gets destroyed all the time so better safe than sorry).

Over this past year I have grown more and more interested in high quality watches and plan on starting my own collection in the future. Not the immediate future however, being recently out of college I can't afford to spend all my money on watches (I wish I could). My mom and girl friend have each bought me watches as gifts, but they are nothing special in comparison to the time pieces discusses here. They are just designer watches that the name carries "prestige" and the movement is unspecified or complete crap.

I have joined the forum to learn more about watches, movements, the history of watches and to get advice from those of you who are significantly more knowledgable than I am on the topic. I created a post yesterday regarding the restoration of my grandfathers watch (titled: Constellation 168.010; Looking for Advice :) ). I do apologize as I should have introduced myself here first.

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Genuinely,

Jake

Edited Aug 21, 2016
    Longbow, ahartfie and watchcollect like this.
  4. ivanknuckles Aug 21, 2016

Nice to be here.

5. wilson1811 Aug 23, 2016

Hi,

Very new to watch collecting... I haven't purchase one yet.... but I've got the bug and fortunately know a veteran watch enthusiast who lives close by (West Yorkshire, UK) so I can learn more about watches altogether.

Their site has been valuable already in helping me learn, long may it continue.

6. Soulbrass Aug 23, 2016

Hello All,

Nice to be here...long time reader...new member...first post...name is JJ. East Coast, USA.

Over the last 25 years, I've owned Omega, IWC, Rolex and TAG Heuer (3)...all eventually let me down for one reason or another and are sold with the exception of my Omega 3811.50. At 39mm, it has worn beautifully with everything from suits and sport coats (fits nicely under shirt cuffs) to polos with jeans and summer shorts on a variety of leather and nylon straps...and I constantly use the chrono (e.g., parking meters, french press coffee steep, etc.). I'm pretty sure it's with me for the long haul...just checks all my boxes. Except one.

I spend a lot of time in and on the water - fishing, surfing, swimming and sailing - and would love someday to own a watch (other than my beater Timex Triathlon) that is truly at home in wet environments. To that end, I've taken a fancy to a 2254.50 with the PlanPro mods...looks great on a variety of straps and is a stunner on its metal bracelet. The only [nagging] consideration that has kept me from pulling the trigger is the lack of chrono function. Not sure if I'll miss it or if the rotating bezel will be a suitable replacement. Still mulling it over...

Looking forward to making new friends, learning and sharing. Thanks for letting me play in your sandbox.

JJ

7. Waltesefalcon Aug 28, 2016

Hi, I'm Walter. I am a high school English teacher, I live in Fletcher Oklahoma and have four kids and currently no wife. I have been a watch enthusiast for many years now and own a number of pocket watches (mostly American). I do own several wrist watches, an old Lord Elgin 559 from 45, a Hamilton 987 from 28, a Bulova Accutron 218 from 67, a really old Omega from 1912, and an Omega Constellation 561 ref 168.005 from 66. I'm not exactly sure what direction I want my collection to go towards now, either into higher end American pocket watches or possibly into a couple more Omegas.

8. WatchWarlock Aug 28, 2016

Hi All,

I've been into watches since my father explained I had to "shake" his Titoni to keep it going. I was always interested in Swiss watches but did not seriously start collecting until over a year ago. Since then, I've jumped head first and started with a vintage Omega Seamaster. I didn't quite know what I was doing at the time, but got lucky it wasn't a franken and wasn't overpriced. Since then, I've must have gone through over 20 vintage Omegas, keeping the special ones and flipping the others at a profit to fund my collection (credit to my improved research/eBay skills coupled with my great watchmaker). I've since added a SMPc, a 3570.50 and 145.022, a Mark II along with many other pieces. After using this forum as a resource many times and being told to join by a fellow watch collector, I decided to join the community! Looking forward to learning and hopefully contributing as my collection evolves.

Missing a few, but most of them are captured below!

20160722_143822.jpg
    albertob likes this.
  9. Faz Aug 28, 2016

Welcome aboard! That is quite the spread. Well balanced collection of sports, dress, and vintage. Funny that so many collectors I know started out with a vintage Omega!

Cheers,

WatchWarlock likes this.
  10. WatchWarlock Aug 28, 2016

Thanks! Perhaps we can thank Don Draper for that. ;)

11. djper Sep 6, 2016

Hello all, I’m Dan, civil servant/vintage enthusiast, early 30s, based here in Manchester UK.
    Previous member, but recently managed to lock myself out after changing email accounts(!)

I currently only have one Omega to call my own - an early jumbo/waffle Seamaster that I bought through the forum several years ago. I love simple mid-century dress watches (even a date complication is too much for me), and generally being able to wear a small piece of mechanical art on my wrist... ::love::

12. jblau Sep 7, 2016

love the speedy's

13. martinzx Sep 18, 2016

I would like to introduce myself my name is Martin I am 50 something and a watch collector. I have been collecting watches about 6 years, I particularly like vintage Omega watches, I own several. I am active on some other forums, I use the same name and avatar. I joined here because it seems a great forum, I hope to learn more and contribute.
    I am not interested in selling watches.

Cheers Martin :)

ahartfie likes this.
  14. KeepTheSpeed Sep 21, 2016

image.jpeg Hello everyone, my name is Kelvin. I'm from the Far East. I've had, over the years a small collection of time pieces namely Panerai, Rolex, Breitling and Swatches (don't laugh). The Omega Speedmaster has always been a watch which I've always wanted to own because of it's links with Space travel. Always dreamed of getting up there but alas I've to settle with flying within our atmosphere. I made a huge mistake of not going straight for a Speedie instead of the other watches until now. But non the less, I am very happy with the Speedy 105.012 66cb which I picked up from a fellow member.

This is an amazing place. The wealth of information here is second to non and I hope to learn more from all of you.

ahartfie likes this.
  15. Couchflyer Sep 21, 2016

Hi, my name is Mike, I live in Minnesota. I currently do not own any Omega watches yet, however I really do want to get a Geneva Driver.

ahartfie likes this.
  16. Lapanouse Sep 26, 2016

Hi. I'm Jack from Chicago. I'm not a forum guy, generally but hope to contribute something to the Speedmaster community. I've been buying old Speedmasters since the mid 90s and have accumulated more than I probably need. I'm always looking for a 2915-3, 2998-1, and a 2998-62 in case anyone has a nice example and is willing to part with it. I'm an amateur watchmaker who is comfortable with simple movements but am not ready to tackle complications. Greetings all.

adam78 likes this.
  17. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 26, 2016

Welcome.
    Let's see some photos of those Speedmasters! I imagine there might be a member or two here that can help thin the herd...::stirthepot::

Jwit likes this.
  18. Number6 Sep 26, 2016

Hi all. I'm John from Richardson, TX. I have started to ramp up my collecting of watches recently and have really enjoyed reading this forum. It is filled with people with great advice and interesting takes on things including outside the watch world. I inherited two omega's from my Dad and find myself more and more interested in aquiring more interesting tool watches. Looking forward to contributing where I can.

19. jean_boris_h Sep 30, 2016

Hi to everyone,
    I'm Jean Boris. Not very experimented IN vintage watches. Really in love with vintage Ω
    I own a 30T and a 503 seamaster calendar. I also own a Breitling Navitimer Olympus.
    Just discovered last year the fantastic world of old time keeping devices.
    I'm fascinatined by the philosophy of the balance wheel : counts time and keeps it running at the same time....

Nice hours to every one.

Jean Boris HAMON

20. albertob Oct 6, 2016

Hi all,

My name is Alberto and I'm currently texting from Sweden, although I'm Italian.

I'm an engineer with a second MSc in business. I discovered the passion for watches since my grandfather gave me his Geneve Century, some time ago.
    Since then, I got a tissot seastar and I'm currently planning to increase the collection.

A big thank you to this amazing community.

Wish you all a good WE.

Alberto

Larry S likes this.