Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Hijak Jul 8, 2015

Welcome Thien, you've come to the right place!:thumbsup: If you search SM 300MC in the forums here you will find lots of info and photos to help in you're search.

2. novina Jul 10, 2015

Hello, my name is Robert and I am starting to have a SWISS watch obsession. It all started with stories of Bulovas from long ago. Reminded me of a name in the back of my head for what seems to be 40 years. Where i heard this name or ever saw one, I know not. But I dived into Swiss watches with a Bulova Kirkwood Accutron Automatic. Beautiful watch, but it needs friends. Something my wife does not understand. But hope to have my first OMEGA soon. And then another and another..... Well you get it.

3. jzzmusician Jul 12, 2015

Greetings!

I'm delighted to have found this forum.

I'm a jazzhead, photographer, book junkie and a member of the Iron Butt Association. (Google that last bit.)

I've recently fallen in love with Omega watches and my first is a vintage Speedmaster in stainless. It was restored and I purchased it on Ebay. I don't know if I got a good deal or not. It could even be a fake. I don't know.

What I do know is that I love the look of the watch and now want to by an Aqua Terra with a stainless band. There is just no way I can afford a new one and I've been watching Ebay and Craigslist for some time now. I've also become aware of fakes, frankensteins and the like. I would like the collective assistance to help me find one. I've got a fairly small wrist at 6.75" so the 36mm - 39mm watches appeal to me more than the large ones. If I reach deep I could afford $2000 U.S.

What do you think? Am I dreaming or is my budget in the realm of possibility?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning here.

Bob

4. reficul_x Jul 13, 2015

I'm Jack Wong from Singapore. Pretty new onboard here.
    Been collecting my first real serious watch back in '04. So yes, I'm relatively new overall to the watch collecting versus many of the old-timers here.

As a day job, I slave for the finance industry.

Having fun here so far. ;)

5. reficul_x Jul 13, 2015

Well we all started small and I must say your 2k budget definitely does and possible go a long way from here.

Vintage omegas are still undervalued for many pieces and stay around read more on the forums and that will shape your next purchase wiser. :)

6. Fer Seamaster Jul 16, 2015

Well, I know it is a bit late, after one year of membership and several posts over there to introduce myself. In any case, sorry for the delay. Anyhow, never is late if you carry good news...so I am here.

My name is Fernando and I have been an active member in some other forums, specially Spanish-speaking forums, which is logical taking into account I am a Spaniard.

My first "important" watch as a Seamaster 2254 my mother gave me as a present when finishing my Civil Engineerig Degree, so that is one which shall never leave my collection. With this watch began my love for the brand...

The second one was a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera my wife gave me as a present before our wedding. I like it very much as it gets a lot of flavour from the mythical Carrera 2447, with raised indexes, clean dial, etc. I would have liked being given a Speedmaster, but its bracelet looked so similar to the SM 2254 that she did not liked it... Finally, a couple of years later, I got a 145.012-67 in a 1039 bracelet!!

Since then, "the family has grown" and now I am the proud owner of a 20 watches collection including both vintage and current models, all of them trying to have some "horological" meaning for me.

My objective is enjoying this passion as much as we can, that is why I like a lot being in this forum, as the watches we usually discuss on are so beautiful and the taste of most members is so similar to mine, that I enjoy a lot reading and stumbling over here.

7. aap Jul 16, 2015

Hey guys, I'm Aaron from the Philippines. I just got into watches a few months ago. I have a few Seikos (some generously given by a good friend of mine). Soon, I found myself really liking Omegas. I finally got my first Omega (SM 300) last week with @the future helping me decide among the various options I had. He's also helping me source our some replacement parts. I'm eager to share with you guys the result of my first Omega project once it's done.

8. Dombo63 Jul 19, 2015

Hi, I'm Dom from the UK. First off I'd like to say this is a great site. Next to Fratellowatches it has recently become a favourite.

Hard to believe, but 3 months ago I had never even heard of the Speedmaster. I knew of Omega, seen the old ads with Cindy Crawford, Clooney sitting on a cool boat (Riva I think); and a bloke at work had a large waterproof thing that I now know to be a Seamaster that he alternated with a Rolex, but that was it.
    I bought my first decent watch in '93, an automatic Tag Heuer 2000 which has pretty much never come off my wrist. Dial and hands were replaced about 10 years ago when they started looking a bit scabby - turned out I hadn't tightened the crown enough when diving. It keeps ok time, 3 minutes fast now having zeroed it on the 1st July, and my teenage son is making covetous noises about it, so thoughts are turning to a replacement.

Anyway, 3 things happened 2 months ago - FT newspaper ran an article on Baselworld 2015 and the new Silver Snoopy watch and its importance in getting Apollo 13 back home safely; the Tom Hanks film was on TV; and I found an old school book from 1970 where we used to write news, what we'd done in the holidays or weekends etc.

Only one entry for Wednesday 15th April by my 7-year old self "Appollo (sic) is in danger. To-day (sic) we will say a prayer for the Astronaut's (sic) safe return".

The Snoopy watch caught my interest and after some research and much umming and ahhing I got on the waiting list for one, not thinking for a moment I'd actually get one. Obviously not as rare or sought after as I first thought, I was called by the boutique and upgraded to one of the lucky chosen 1,970 few due to get one in a couple of months.

This will be a keeper, one of those really nice to have things like a classic car, vintage firearm or painting, but my research into all things Speedy made me realise what a great watch a classic Moonwatch Professional would be as my "proper" everyday wearer. This may sound strange to those outside this forum, but there's just something about the "standard" hesalite version. It just looks right, and when I put one on in the shop it seemed to have soul.

So my search begins. Funds cannot run to another brand new Speedmaster in addition to the Snoopy so I am scouring Ebay, for-sales on here, and Chrono 24. A holiday to Greece later this year may result in a bargain if that country's economy continues its journey down the tubes, who knows.

I have set my budget around the just under £2,000 mark. A 5 -year old mint Sapphire Sandwich with all papers and box just went for that on eBay so I may get lucky. Thanks in advance for any help and advice on my journey to Speedy-ownership. Photos will certainly follow.

9. nightowl Jul 21, 2015

European, Swedish. Taking my first steps.

Up until one or two years ago, I was quite sceptical of the idea of carrying around what I felt was a symbol of ostentatious traditionalism and conservatism. I do however love modern design and kind of fell in love with a watch designed by one of Audis top designers. That opened the flood gates, and I quickly fell in love with the classic Omega Constellation from the 50s and 60s. Something of nerd at heart, learning is fun, and I dove into this new subject with gusto. To my chagrin I have yet to make my first acquisition of a collectable piece, partially since I proceeding with a bit of caution.

So far, I'm all for a descrete wrist watch with black tie (and as far as our American friends are concerned, never to black tie wedding, which in itself is a weird thing). I probably will end up owning a Rolex or two, despite their in your faceiness. Although right now, I'm anxious to wear my first, very own, Connie.

10. Wing Zero Jul 22, 2015

JC from USA.
    my first watch was an Omega SMP 2531.80 in 1999.
    Sold my 2531.80 in 2013 to get a Omega SMP Ceramic
    purchased a Rolex 1680 5.1 mil in 2014
    purchased a 2531.80 last week because I missed it too much
    Found this forum.

11. NewCollector Jul 23, 2015

Hello All. Found the forum by finally doing a bit of online research for a vintage Seamaster I have had for about a year. I am a newbie in regards to Omega but I do like the look of them and hope to expand my knowledge on here and share some of my knowledge base - which is in Rolex and a few other higher end brands.

I live in PA and do a good amount of vetting Rolex watches for inquiries of real v fake. And wow have I got some good stories to share! So many fakes out there... but pretty easily outed.

I work in the legal field and I am a huge Miami Dolphins football fan. Looking forward to some good exchanges in the forums. Thank you. :)

12. bugwriter Jul 29, 2015

Hi Everyone. I'm Kevin from the USA (California).

I just purchased my first (and last according to my wife) Swiss mechanical watch two days ago; an Omega Seamaster 300m Regatta. I'm very happy with it so far. It's nice an heavy and has a lot of presence. I took a gamble and purchased through Jomashop.
    P1010731.JPG P1010738.JPG

13. jln319 Aug 6, 2015

Hi Everyone,

Joined a couple years ago but mostly lurking... Thought it was time to post an intro... I just purchased a Skywalker to go along with my PO and Speedmaster. I'm a technical writer but was a software engineer for about 25 years before. Originally from Nebraska but transplanted in California for work a long time ago. I've been collecting watches for quite a while but mostly vintage Seiko divers. Looking forward to being around here more... -jeff

noelekal likes this.
  14. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 6, 2015

Welcome Jeff. Quite a few of us based here in California.

15. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Aug 6, 2015

Welcome Jeff. Husker (80-84) here as well. In Texas now. Post some cool Seikos when you get a chance!

16. jln319 Aug 6, 2015

Here is a couple:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BrianMcKay, Mad Dog and RawArcher like this.
  17. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 13, 2015

Hello,

Name is Robert, I am a professionally trained and qualified watchmaker with British Horological Institute certification.

Located in south western France, not specialized in any particular brand, what my speciality is the repair, restoration, and conservation of watches, pocket and wrist alike.

I'll share some of the work that I do every now and then, as time permits.

Looking forward to a positive experience.

Robert MBHI

18. Jonatan Aug 13, 2015

Wow didn't know this page existed. Posted a few times but it's about time I introduce myself.

My name is Jonatan, I'm french Canadian but moved to Switzerland four years ago to do a Ph.D. in molecular plant biology but I'm an agronomist by trade.

I started getting into watches about two Christmases ago when I learned that my girlfriend family used to own a watch company. I started reading about it and really got into it (along with oenology and viticulture).

I don't have an Omega but they are starting to get to me!

I'm here to learn (been at university for 17 years so I guess it's what I was born to do).

19. Fretworker Aug 13, 2015

Hi Robert, I'm not sure every experience here will be positive, it'll certainly be enlightening one way or another , especially if you catch up with the joke thread, some dubious humour there

20. Fretworker Aug 13, 2015

Hi Jonaton, welcome to the forum, used to own a watch company ??? Hmm you're not going to get away with that remark unless you explain