Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 22, 2014

New member to the forum and a neophyte watch collector. I bought a Tag Professional Sports a few years ago because I liked that the crown is on the left side of the case. I have to say it's been a great watch. Recently I wanted to get a mechanical watch and bought a Breitling SuperOcean GMT. I just bought a used Seamaster Professional 300 and absolutely love it. Now I'm on the hunt for a Speedmaster 57 and I'm sure a Submariner in the near future.

I've learned a ton from this forum already and especially appreciate the posts from ulackfocus, CanberraOmega and dsio. Seems like no question is too dumb (well, almost no question) and it's obvious you guys know your stuff.

Thanks

2. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people that ask questions." - Chris Berman, 1997 in a commercial for ESPN's NFL Countdown show.

Welcome! You were on the list of members about to receive an assigned avatar, but I see you've set an appropriate one. In a few days, you would have had this:

tuna.png

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 23, 2014

That's great! Thanks.

4. basieboy Jan 28, 2014

Hey. My name's Richard and I'm a lawyer and entrepreneur in Washington DC. I've been hanging out for a bit, but just noticed this thread and thought add some detail.

I've collected a small number of mechanical watches over the past dozen years or so. Nothing wild - a few Gruen Curvexes and half a dozen Harwoods, which i love the simplicity of. They're all pretty small, however (pics of few of the Harwoods are below), and I a few years ago decided it was time for a few larger watches to add to the collection. So, in short order I bought a Waldan International Retro Alarm, which is a beautifully made watch, but heavy as hell on the wrist, and a POS quartz chrono, neither of which see much wrist time.

I came across the forum in early December when looking for some advice about a Seamaster chrono I was contemplating putting a bid on. Thankfully, I was steered away from bidding because of all of the flaws, and started reading more of the posts to get an idea of what was out there and what to look out for. Since then, I've taken the leap a few times - as evidenced by the below picture of the six I've acquired of late.

I'm obviously going to have to quit hanging out here - you guys make such binge acquisitions seem almost normal.

At least the watches are easier to sneak past the wife then the wine that's the other current hobby (obsession?).

Thanks for the free advise!

photo 2.jpeg

photo 1.jpeg

photo.jpeg

Nova1978 and epl108 like this.
  5. ctime3 Jan 28, 2014

Hi Richard, Welcome to the forum. Very nice collection. Charlie

6. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Jan 29, 2014

Hi all,I'm From Just outside London,UK,Got a couple of watches(Breitling aerospace & TAG monoco)and feel it is time to have an Omega in my life aswell :) was originally going to go vintage but i have fallen in love with the Omega seamaster GMT 'Great white' (not sure it is quite vintage yet?)which i think will compliment the watches i already own,just got to track a good one down now.looking forward to the hunt & hopefully can get some advice/help here.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 29, 2014

Excellent choice. The great white is already out of production and demand is high, so its value increasing. It falls in modern rather than vintage category. It is not rare so from time to time you would find in ebay as well as in forum sales here.
    Please do ask advice here rather than sorry later. Good luck with your hunt.

8. HereToLearn studying, and more studying Jan 30, 2014

Hello all,
    I'm from the Philadelphia area. I've grown up in the jewelry industry and there for watches. I have always admired vintage omegas and have been looking at them more and more and trying to learn what I can. This seems like a great forum and have already learned a few things from looking around.

9. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2014

10. musicman Feb 7, 2014

Hello all,

My name is Keith and I'm a retired music teacher.

I currently don't have a nice watch, but the bug is into me in a big way and it won't be long now. I spend a couple of hours a day looking at the Omega site and feel very lucky to have found this forum. After a couple of weeks of study I'm beginning to appreciate how much I don't know - which is quite a bit.

I think I've got my choice narrowed down to a Seamaster. I really like the Aqua Terra, maybe a Diver or Golf (although it seems the green color on the Golf doesn't get a lot of love here).

As I am one of the few retired music teachers who is not wealthy it seems a used watch is a better fit to start my collection. I am so relieved to find a group of trusted sellers on this forum as that was one of my big concerns.

Thanks in advance for everything I learn here.

11. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 7, 2014

Welcome Keith, straight in with a cracking avatar now that's a great start :thumbsup:

Sure you will enjoy the company of like minded individuals, plenty of information and advice always available.

Oh and some nonsense now and then, we can't be serious all of the time.

12. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2014

Hi Keith, welcome to ΩFs.

:D Yeah, a bit of nonsense already. I usually don't do avatars for members that just joined, but Keith's screen name was irresistible.

Alpha likes this.
  13. musicman Feb 7, 2014

Thanks for the avatar. I have a question from my reading this AM. How to weight the difference between automatic and winding (I hope that's acceptable nomenclature) when shopping for a watch?

14. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2014

No thanks necessary. Setting avatars actually amuses me sometimes.

We use 'manual' for hand winding movements.

It comes down to personal preference really. If the functions are the same (i.e.: 3 hand, time with date), automatics cost a little more to service because of the extra maintenance needed, but it's not a big difference usually. Manual wind calibers are usually thinner and better for dress watches since they tuck under a cuff, and automatics are more convenient since they wind themselves while you wear them.

15. Watchguy31-us Feb 13, 2014

My name is Mark and I have a mechanical watch addiction.

It's nice to "meet" you all. I had a couple Rolexes (high school, undergrad presents), a JLC ultra thin (present to myself for getting into grad school) as well as an AT (engagement present) and a seamaster 300 (I just love James Bond). My AT was stolen a few weeks ago and I received my insurance check last week.

Instead of replacing it, I am "investing" in vintage Omegas...as I love the brand and would like to start collecting.

I actually sold the rolexes as well, as I don't really like them so I have some capital to start a pretty nice vintage collection :)

16. ulackfocus Feb 13, 2014

[/quote]

A collective "HI MARK!" from the forum.

Ooooo, we're gonna have some fun spending other people's money! Where's gatorcpa or cicindela when you need them? :p

17. Watchguy31-us Feb 13, 2014

Northernmann has been the recipient of some of my funds already!

What I really want is one of the original seamaster calendar watches...black dial. I LOVE that watch.

18. ulackfocus Feb 13, 2014

Plain with the date at 3 or waffle style dial with the date at 6?

19. Watchguy31-us Feb 13, 2014

The latter.

20. Jimmy Jim Feb 13, 2014

Hello all. New to the forum and a brand new Omega owner. It is nice to see such an amazing community as I have lurked here for a while gathering information on what ended up being my first of many Omegas. I recently purchased the Deville Chronoscope 4550.3 and am going back to the boutique this afternoon for a possible purchase a Speedmaster. Like some others on here have said, I am now a full on addict and am ready to start my collection of timepieces. Once I get the Moonwatch I have always had my eye on, I will venture into the world of vintage.

Privateday7 likes this.