Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

Looks in good shape for a 14 year old daily worn watch, welcome Mr. Willy

2. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 23, 2012

Walter Lantz....a forgotten cartoon genius. Chilly Willy was actually symbolic of the icy relations between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. during the cold war era. Woody Woodpecker was symbolic of Castro...or something. You don't want to know about Heckyl and Jeckyl.

3. cigar-aficionado Aug 16, 2012

New to Omega but not to quality watches. Current collection includes a Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm, Speedmaster day/date, Breitling Chronomat Evolution steel and gold, Breitling Avenger blue face on blue leather and a Breitling Montbrilliant. Always chopping and changing the collection though as I always see something else I like as well :)

Live in Cornwall, sell fishing tackle and enjoy fine cigars and Caribbean travel

4. ulackfocus Aug 16, 2012

Cigars, watches, and fishing eh? Livin' the life! :thumbsup:

5. cigar-aficionado Aug 16, 2012

Something about a fine hand rolled cigar that complements wearing a good watch...or that's what I tell the wife when I need to buy more cigars or another watch

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2012

Maybe offer to let her play with your tackle in exchange

7. cigar-aficionado Aug 16, 2012

Nice one :D

8. Steve Aug 16, 2012

Welcome to the forum. There's a very popular thread on another watch forum combining cigars and watches, maybe you could indulge us in some photos of your watches and cigars ?.

Smiley-Welcome-01.gif

9. alam Aug 16, 2012

psst, hey you!.....yeah, you! forum Masters....here's another smiley to add to the smiley drop menu.....

Littleroger and Steve like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2012

Trev would never allow it being the design snob that he is, it'd ruin his Feng Shui :p

11. Steve Aug 16, 2012

bigstock_zipper_emoticon_14624360.jpg

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2012

I'm sure we've got about 50 new guys since this thread was last bumped

13. Ray916MN Sep 4, 2012

I can smell the end of motorcycle riding season, so it is time to start switching back to the watch hobby. Bought my 5th Omega of the year today and found this forum while doing some research. Some great content here and noticed some folks who I know from other forums so I thought I'd join.

Started out collecting high frequency watches and probably have about 100 of these, expanded to auto chronos and more recently to dive watches.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

Well in that case you definitely need to post some pics of the cool ones, especially the Omegas (and any Zenith EPs)

15. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 4, 2012

Hi all,

I didn't find an introduction of myself here, as I couldn't remember if I ever posted one. I've been here some time ago, but lacked time to stay active. I will try to change that from now on.

So, here's the introduction:

I am Robert-Jan, live in The Netherlands and have always been passionate about watches. My love for Omega is somewhat inherited, as my parents and grand-parents (and even their parents) have and have had Omega watches. Got my first Omega for my graduation in 1998 and that's when it really hit off.

I started in 1999 with this website called omega-addict.com (which I shamelessly didn't maintain since 2003 or so). In 2004 I started with a blog on watches called Fratellowatches and which I still have and actively maintain. There is a lot of Omega content on there, since that's the brand I like best. In any case I try to only write about brands that I like best. Since this year, I became full time occupied in the watch industry. Together with Chrono24 and Ebner Publising (WatchTime, Chronos, Uhren Magazine and so on) we started this company called Chronolytics to do some data mining and gather & analyze market data on watch consumers. We sell this data to watch manufacturers to show them the trends amongst watch consumers, demand in watch brands and models, desirable materials/diameters/complications and so on and to show them some competitive information (which brands do consumers compare per price range/category, what are they willing to spend on these watches etc). I am also freelance contributor to a number of watch magazines, and covered a lot of Omega related articles in there.

Anyway, you could say that my hobby became my work and it is also still my hobby :) (the danger of turning your passion into your profession).

As I previously said, I have a very weak spot for Omega. Luckily, Omega has been inviting me over to their museum, the Planet Ocean introduction in Capri, golf events and they even interviewed me on camera during BaselWorld 2011. They also send me over some watches for review on my blog (which I sadly have to return). So I guess we like eachother :)

In my personal watch collection are a few Omega watches. I've had more of them, but traded a lot of these vintage Seamasters and Constellations as I don't wear anything small anymore. Only the occasional wear of a 35mm Constellation or Seamaster Calendar or the Constellation DeLuxe II that I inherited from my Grandfather.

Most of the time I wear one of my Speedmasters, from vintage to new (very new, bought a fresh 3570.50 last week!). I also added a Speedmaster 125 this year, which I almost never wear but I did find it quite wearable (who would have thought so 10 years ago?) and very handsome (ditto).

[​IMG]

And to shamelessly plug Omega related content, keep an eye on this link. Every Tuesday it is Speedmaster Tuesday (click here) over at my blog. A strange Speedy, limited Speedy, regular Speedy with a cool story (or just any Speedy will do) is being put into the spotlight. Feel free to contribute.

I hope my story wasn't too long or boring, just think it helps if we know eachother on a forum like this and keep it nice & fun :)

Big compliments to the owners, the forum is very fast here unlike some of the 'other' big portals.

Robert-Jan

Trev likes this.
  16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

...and you definitely need to post some photos of your motorcycle(s) :)

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

Welcome Robert-Jan & thank you very much for omega-addict. Your website was a great help to me when I was buying a Speedmaster and I really love the bracelet article. :thumbsup: It's great to have you on the forum here.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

Yes, we need some updated Ducati pictures.:)

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

Nice to have you back RJ, btw ran into a Speedy 125 on TV not long ago worn by a developer, posted the pics on here and a few weeks later the man in the photos signed up to say Hi! http://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-on-island-news.1229

Your VERY old article now on obtaining and restoring over time your 145.012-67 was my earliest exposure to Speedmasters and the reason I ended up buying mine here: http://omegaforums.net/posts/17602/

Robert-Jan likes this.
  20. ulackfocus Sep 4, 2012

Hi Ray. Good to see you here.

Glad you'll be more active RJ.

Robert-Jan likes this.