Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. bigmatt17073 Dec 21, 2020

Hello Everybody,

I'm Matt from S.E. Michigan and have a watch problem. First time posting on here as I've been lurking and learning for a little while and finally joined. I'm a member of some other watch forums as well. I don't own an Omega, but that will hopefully change in 2021. I visited an Omega AD last week to narrow down what my first Omega purchase might be and fell in love with the Hesalite Speedmaster. I just need to save up some and decide on the current model or wait for the more expensive Coaxial Speedy.

As to my watch collection I started out with a number of affordable watches to try and figure out what I like. This past year was spent consolidating some of those and moving up the price scale. Some notables that I have in the collection: Tudor Black Bay 58, Tudor BB 41, Tudor Oysterdate Jumbo, Oris Aquis, Sinn 556A, Maurice Lacroix Aikon, Seiko SARX055, CW C65 Trident diver manual wind, CW C5 Malvern 595, Lorier Falcon II, Vario Eclipse, Silver Archetype 1, Steinhart OVM, Ball Fireman Enterprise, Hamiliton Khaki Field Auto, Reise Resolute, Seagull 1963, and a couple of Casios (Duro, 5600 square, GA2100 CasiOak, and a Protrek).

Duracuir1, Ron_W and simon87 like this.
  2. Passover Dec 21, 2020

Hi Matt! :)

3. DougE Dec 30, 2020

Greetings all. New here and at the bottom of the watch collecting hill. Some of you have probably forgotten
    more than I may ever know. I got bit by this after restoring my Dad's old Wittnauer Revue and his Bulova Accutron.
    I probably spent more on the restoration work than they are "worth", but they were my Dad's and can't be replaced.
    When I researched restoring his Hamilton electric is when I discovered Hamilton's with asymmetric cases. And then I
    discovered Omega Constellations with the pie pan dial. So my interest isn't exclusive to the Omegas, I have bought
    one book on Omega watches and I'm working my way through it. The forum here is a wealth of information and I'm sure it will
    take a while before I can ever offer valuable and insightful contributions, I've already learned a bit, and I'm grateful to
    those who so freely share their expertise and passion. The sagely advice to own a few stunningly beautiful pieces vs.
    owning more "clunkers" is one I'm going to try and apply.

Duracuir1, Ron_W and Passover like this.
  4. Charlemagne1333 Dec 31, 2020

This is one instance where it’s impossible to spend too much money on a watch

Welcome to the forum Doug

simon87 likes this.
  5. Passover Dec 31, 2020

6. DougE Dec 31, 2020

7. AlexJ52 Jan 1, 2021

Hi all!
    I've been lurking around for about a month now, and somehow never managed to notice this thread until now...
    You can call me Alex and I'm from South Korea, where I'm a college student studying English literature. I recently finished my mandatory two years of military service in my country's army, where I served as an English interpreter on the western frontline.
    I've always been a fan of Omegas (the Moonwatch has been my dream watch since junior high), although obviously due to my age I never thought I could afford one. However not long ago, I found that vintage Omegas could be had for much less than I'd expected, some even being as cheap as my Seiko! I decided to get one as a gift to myself for finishing my service.
    I quickly found a target within my budget(a dressy Seamaster with a 30mm caliber), and was luckily able to get one that checked the boxes from fellow OF member @donkii.
    Although my first motif for vintage watches was the cheap prices compared to its name, I have to admit that I'm getting quite fascinated by their charm and not their price tag. Now I have to stop myself everyday from cashing out on my stock investments for a Piepan Connie or a Polerouter...
    Anyway, thanks for all the incredible knowledge here and happy 2021!

8. BeginnerSeeker Jan 16, 2021

Hello everyone!

Long time Omega owner here, bought a 2209.50 PO back in 2010 but that's been my only Omega. I'm a bit further along in my professional career now so I'm looking to start building out the collection a little bit. I've always wanted to get a vintage Constellation which I've been browsing around for. That said, I'm probably a bit brand agnostic as I've also got an IWC Big Pilot and looking to pick up the IWC Pilot Mark XVIII Heritage or even a Rolex GMT (though I'm not keen on buying the hype).

Looking forward to having great discussions!

Fallout Boy and Ron_W like this.
  9. RPC Jan 16, 2021

Hello.

New to the forum. I’ve always appreciated watches, have owned a number of Seiko automatics and purchased an Omega Speedmaster Professional “Sapphire Sandwich” from a local AD yesterday as my foray into watches beyond Seiko.

I subscribe to an unhealthy number of other special-interest forums (knife, flashlight, firearm, EDC, etc.), learn a ton in those and am looking forward to learning from you all as well, hopefully contributing some along the way.

-Rex

10. Ron_W Jan 18, 2021

Hi All,
    My name is Ron and l am longtime watchfan and a visitor here for some time now, so i thought with my lattest arrivel it is also time for an intro. I wear my watches so i am not a collector, usualy i have 5 or 6 in rotation. Some vintage valoux 22, some military inspired such as Adanac, a lot of IWC`s went through - still my favorite brand i think - mostly Portugieser and a few Omega`s as the one in my avatar that i miss a little.
    And my new one, a very colorful piece that sparks off conversations easy, with the most beautiful blued hands i have ever seen. i did see a de Bethune once so i can compare. The Big Eye from massena wears very nice !!
    Thanks !!

20201224_134514 klein.jpg 20201224_134904.jpg Massena Lab 2.jpg
    Fallout Boy and marcn like this.
  11. Leejon Jan 21, 2021

Hi all, Lee here, been a member for a while but never really engaged. Always liked a nice watch and had a few decent looking Seiko over the years. Couple of years ago I pulled the trigger on a fairly nice Raymond Weil and that was it, I decided on my 50th it was time for an Omega, I'd always admired them and the Seamaster PO was the one I was after. Was in Japan for my 50th and there it was and bought it a couple of days before my birthday... little did I realise the box was LARGE! Otherwise I'm after another at some stage, really like the detail on the Aqua Terra Worldtimer so maybe another trip to Japan on the cards....

12. DahMan Jan 21, 2021

Hi everyone,
    New to the Forum, my name is Arthur, I am a recent retired guy, ending my carrier as a commercial sales manager, large German company.. retired to Florida Gulf.
    I currently rotate between, the Speedy BA, Rolex Sub C date, Rolex Day/Date Tridor, and an Oris diver.
    Omega is by far my Fave, have gone thru a Deville St Moritz, Speedy Mark II,(2) Speedy dates, 2 Speedy Pro’s, and an older quartz Seamaster. The BA ticks all the boxes. It’s hard for me to rotate between the current four, always tempted to buy another ..
    I am really enjoying the level of intel and expertise from this Forum. I’m out of TRF, I had enuff, and apparently, so did they, Onto a round of Golf, and cocktails.
    Best
    DaHMan

Fallout Boy, Ron_W and Leejon like this.
  13. 99Tjadams Feb 19, 2021

Hello from the great white north
    I have been into watches for many years now.
    Finally purchased my first omega a few months ago and loving it. Seamaster with sword hands 2254.50

Got a nice wristie this morning with some elk in the background.

18CAF1FD-2CB6-4B91-B826-547C3FB8B95C.jpeg
    Fallout Boy, Ron_W, Stewart A and 2 others like this.
  14. Leejon Feb 19, 2021

Great pic!

99Tjadams likes this.
  15. imfagent449 Feb 19, 2021

I don't think that I have posted on here.

I am a scientist (genetics). I live in Los Angeles. I mostly collect Longines watches but I seem to have a small collection of IWC watches that I wear more regularly.

I have a passing interest in a whole range of things from clothing to food etc..

I particularly love 30l watches. I also like the 280 calibre.

This has turned out strangely like a dating profile...

Fallout Boy likes this.
  16. Ron_W Feb 19, 2021

Very nice capture !

99Tjadams likes this.
  17. yle Apr 3, 2021

Let me introduce myself.

I live in Switzerland. I believe I have been into watches since I can remember. I recall pressing my nose against the windows of the boutiques in Bahnhofstrasse in Zürich, wishing I could have one of those perpetual calendar watches (I believe they were PPs). Of course, my dad was not thrilled about the idea of giving a 9 year old such an expensive thing.

I got my first real watch when I was twelve. It was an automatic Tissot with a beautiful dial that changed color depending on the angle you looked at it. It was expensive for the time (something like CHF 300 or so, if I remember correctly). Unfortunately, this watch has been lost sometime during puberty. I've been wearing Swatches when they came out, and had for the longest time a mechanical Certina pocket watch. That's right, a pocket watch, with a chain, fixed to my jeans that were full of holes...

Somehow, I forgot about watches for quite some time after that. I have rediscovered them a few years ago, and have been seriously collecting since then. My taste is evolving, but I a basic trend that was there with me from the beginning is the dress watch ... and the Moonwatch, because I did see the first moon landing as a small child (we were in vacation in France, I remember vividly those blurry pictures on the TV screen), and that was a defining moment for my generation.

My two favourite watches in my collection of (I don't know, 50 or so?) are an anonymous (possible from the brand "Election") rectangular gold watch with exploded Breguet numerals, and a Speedy 145-012 with chocolate dial.

I look forward to engage with the forum, learn a lot, and possible help other members.

Cheers!

IMG_5543.JPG IMG_5562.JPG
    Edited Apr 3, 2021
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2021

Welcome mate, very nice dial on that Speedy Pro!

yle likes this.
  19. Ron_W Apr 4, 2021

Very nice introduction and those are lovely Breguet numbers !

yle likes this.
  20. yle Apr 4, 2021

Thank you, dsio. I love it, and I wear it often :)