Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. yle Apr 4, 2021

Thanks, Ron_W. I totally agree. Exploded Brequets numbers are almost always fantastic, and the red 12 is the cherry on top. There is so much to enjoy in vintage pieces. And it does not (necessarily) have to be expensive.

2. harbottle Apr 4, 2021

Hello OF.

Who am I? I've been fond of watches ever since I bought my first wind-up Timex when I was 10 or 11 years old. I saved up the money over the months from my paper route <--- (remember these?).

I'm not a serious watch collector, but have an assortment of watches over the years for wear in different occasions.
    If I see a watch I like that I would wear, I would consider buying it. Personally, I don't think watches should be stashed away and left unworn.
    Part of the pleasure is wearing the watch, liking how it feels on your wrist and the joy in looking at the dial when checking the time! Not to mention the old watch memories! Every watch that is worn has a story.

I prefer simple dials and slim watches.... having said this, I won't ever wear a chronometer... too complicated. Case in point, I have a vintage Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust stainless steel (around 1967-1972 I think) that was given to me as a gift. I wore it once when I got it and it felt too BIG and HEAVY. After that, it got stashed in my drawer and hasn't seen the day of light.
    I have some cheap $10 quartz watches that I wear when doing manual labour type work that I don't care if the watch gets damaged.

My daily wearable collection that gets rotated from time to time: old Bulova, Seiko, Longine, Zenith. All mechanical wind from the 1960s+, no automatics. Thinking of adding a vintage mechanical wind Omega from 1960s+ also in the rotation.

:cool: h.

Ron_W and Mediocre like this.
  3. Mediocre Jul 25, 2021

This thread could use a bump. New here. Username describes me well. On some other watch forums, and I have heard good things about OF. Thought I should give it a try.

No Omega in my smattering of watches yet. Look forward to learning here and seeing loads of pics to help me find the right one.

Missed out on a 4832.40.31 recently, keeping my eyes peeled. Not sure exactly what it is about it, but I like it

Duracuir1, Ron_W and Spruce like this.
  4. Kuby Jul 25, 2021

Hi, I thought it time to introduce myself too. Like many here I have had a fascination with watches since childhood and now into my 64th year I can best describe myself as a collector. My collection is a reflection of my life, each watch has a personal story to tell. I’m not wedded to any one particular brand although I do enjoy some more than others, including OMEGA. My most recent addition is a TRIBUS, a watch that I had a small hand in bringing about. I look forward to making a contribution here too.

Ron_W likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 24, 2022

Worth a bump for new members to say hello :thumbsup:

LesXL, pdxleaf, UncleBuck and 2 others like this.
  6. Waltesefalcon Nov 24, 2022

I thought this one was a sticky.

PastorChris likes this.
  7. PastorChris Jan 7, 2023

My name is Chris and during the pandemic, I took the leap of appreciating mechanics watches from the dial side and started taking them apart and putting them back together again.

I have enjoyed the quest for knowledge, tools, and parts. I’ve failed to improve many, utterly destroyed a few, and now the successes outnumber the failures by and large. Always on a quest for knowledge and everything I learn shows me how much more there is to learn.

I especially like vintage stuff and divers at that. My journey began with a 1984 Seiko 6309-7040. I also enjoy watches used by military, wether issue or not.

64Wing, noelekal, Stewart A and 9 others like this.
  8. Ron_W Jan 7, 2023

Hi Chris, enjoy the ride !!

9. DrmexicoII Mar 10, 2023

Hello, found this thread whilst reading many others and thought I'd introduce myself as a new member. I'm Nathan, I live in the UK, work in IT (doesn't everyone?) and have recently rediscovered my love of watches in the last few years. Bought myself a Longines Spirit nearly 2 years ago and an Omega CK859 (which I adore) last year. I'm currently obsessed with vintage Omegas (and Longines, and UG, and...) which is how I ended up here. Currently looking for a no date dressy vintage Omega to celebrate a (small) bonus at work and finding the Private Sales and Ebay advice forums both informative, overwhelming and very tempting! Can't believe this place exists, thanks for letting me join.

pdxleaf, Aroxx, hansaboy and 5 others like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 10, 2023

Hi Nathan - Welcome from Los Angeles. Yes, this is a wonderful place filled with an amazing group of people. You will find that this is much more than just a watch forum as well.

Duracuir1, DrmexicoII and SC1 like this.
  11. 64Wing Mar 10, 2023

Welcome, Nathan! We've a fine group here. Happy to have you join us

pdxleaf and DrmexicoII like this.
  12. Jeeper Mar 11, 2023

Welcome from Wigan

DrmexicoII likes this.
  13. PlainVanilla Mar 11, 2023

Welcome to the madhouse!

DrmexicoII likes this.
  14. Ron_W Mar 11, 2023

Hi Nathan,

welcome !!

DrmexicoII likes this.
  15. pbook4g5 Mar 13, 2023

Howdy, OmegaForums! Long time lurker, first time poster, or something like that. I've been into watches since I was in grade school... took apart a couple of manual watches back when I was 10-13 years old and loved trying to get them back together. I did get an old Seiko running again. Sadly, I fell out of favor with watches when I went to college, but quickly got back into them when I made it to grad school. Picked up my first "big kid" watch when a friend sold me his Tag Formula 1 because he was buying a new car and needed the cash. For 15 years, that was really the only watch I had.

I worked in Higher Education in the US from 2004 - 2022, but left the industry last year to go work as a contractor for the Air Force. I'm a gigantic space nerd (Go Space Hipsters!), so I was always in love with the Speedmaster from an early age. With my signing bonus, I went and picked up an Speedmaster Professional with the hesalite crystal and the 3861 movement. I love everything about it. And my wife wishes my love for watches stopped there. But it didn't.

I dug out an old Bulova Acutron that was my great grandfathers, and then I picked up the new Bulova Lunar Pilot. And when I recently switched from contractor to civilian employee, I picked up a Hamilton Khaki Field (manual wind). I don't really want to get into watch collecting, but I will be looking for one or two vintage Omegas here in the next year, which is how I found the forums. I look forward to interacting with everyone. I've attached a photo of my small collection. Thanks for having me!

IMG_9800.JPG
    64Wing, Paedipod, Aroxx and 8 others like this.
  16. pdxleaf ... Mar 14, 2023

Space nerd?! Love the Speedmaster?!!

Welcome home. We've been waiting for you.

Here's a great little introductory thread (yes, it is addicting.)

https://omegaforums.net/threads/houston-discovery-for-the-final-time-wheels-stop.140682/

Ron_W likes this.
  17. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Mar 14, 2023

Welcome

18. ghce Mar 14, 2023

Sorry, too late you already have.

And welcome :D

pdxleaf likes this.
  19. Ron_W Mar 14, 2023

Welcome, nice to have you here !!