Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. TimeODanaos Jul 29, 2020

Welcome, Chris! Sounds like your better half gives great Christmas presents!
    Are you anywhere up near Kapuskasing?

2. Sterling Archer Jul 29, 2020

Just realized I never did an introduction.

I'll keep it brief and get to know you guys through the many threads. I have been an Omega fan for many years. My family have worn the watches for generations. In fact, both sets of grandparents all wore Omega. My first luxury watch was the Speedy MOTM. I then proceeded to buy the original Planet Ocean 2500 XL. Eventually, I moved onto Rolex where for years I was firmly in that camp. Bought and sold, and have refined my tastes. Recently, I purchased an Omega Spectre to compliment my Rolex 16710 GMT. It really brought my Omega love back. Next purchase is hopefully the 50th anniversary Snoopy, which I think would make a killer 3 watch combo.

I'm pretty much a sports watch guy. I do love haute horology dress watches but I'm not really at that budget or stage in my life to get one. I had a DAY-DATE for a short period of time, objectively really was my most comfortable and best watch but it didn't really fit with my personality. I use my watches and while they've evolved into shells of their toolishselves, I still like to think of them as my trust sidekicks, telling the time and making me smile during my daily adventures.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  3. Zapatta Jul 30, 2020

Hello, guys. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Tom (30) and my love with watches started with my father’s Daydate with an onyx dial.::love::

I’m a big fan of vintage watches so practically all my watches are vintage. There is an exception here and there.
    But let’s be real, I have no idea about vntg watches even though I think I know something.::book::

I am fascinated with Constellations but I have so much to learn. I currently own a solid gold 2943 and don’t intend to stop there. I am very attracted to SS Pie Pans, but not doglegs. With them, its a love/hate story.:whistling:

After seeing that there is no group about Constellations on Facebook, I made one and already has about 700 members in 3 months and many many pictures. I asked your colleague Hoi to be a moderator and to try to answer people’s questions that I, or someone else couldn’t give them. You can always join if you want and share your beautiful Connies. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and maybe I'm going to ask you "stupid" questions but it's all part of the learning process, right? ::bleh::

Best regards

jcon1913 and OmegaP99 like this.
  4. stevenyoo Aug 1, 2020

I'm Steve. I'm a doctor living in the greater Boston, MA area.

I became enamored with watches when my great uncle gave me his Casio W50U (digital world timer that is now discontinued) when I was around 12. I wore that watch for years straight, until the battery died and I placed it in a drawer, never to be found again.

The bug bit again around 2013 and I started buying Nixon and Michael Kors watches.

In 2017 I got my first Omega, a Planet Ocean 43.5mm in steel and haven't looked back since!

There's been a ton of turnover, but current collection is at:
    - A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1 Moonphase
    - Rolex GMT Master II two-tone root beer (current gen)
    - Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 60th Anniversary
    - vintage 1960s Omega dress watch with rare brown dial, Cal 711
    - currently waiting on a Seamaster Ploprof 1200m to arrive!

OmegaP99 likes this.
  5. man winding Aug 2, 2020

Hi everyone!

I’m James, from the UK. I have been a watch enthusiast since my grandfather left me his c.1960 Eterna-Matic 30 years ago, before I had even learned to tell the time. That watch made me appreciate the passion and the skill that goes into making watches and how personal they become.

I made my first “proper” watch purchase about ten years ago and now have a small number of Speedies, both old and new, which I love for their history and their stories. I seem to be attracted to the more unusual ones and wear them all. My very understanding wife asks how many watches is "enough" and I don't know what to tell her.

A lot of what I know about the Speedies I own I have learned over the past couple of years from this forum so thank you all for the knowledge and advice you have shared so freely here. I still have a lot to learn but I am really looking forward to being part of the discussion and, hopefully, meeting many of you at T4AP in the future.

jcon1913 and OmegaP99 like this.
  6. TimeODanaos Aug 5, 2020

So, local then! ;)
    I am actually 4000 miles east of you, it's still pretty early for breakfast, and if I'm quick I still might quit reading OF and catch a few more zzzs...
    Years ago now, my late uncle had a concession to run the airfield up at Kap, and I'll never forget a boyhood fishing trip when uncle, my dad and some guys flew further north and made some holes in the ice - wow! Seems a very long time ago now - that branch of the family have mainly disappeared into metro Trunno now. It's good to know that the good ship Omega has made it up to your area, and I hope you enjoy OF - careful now though - can be addictive!

7. TimeODanaos Aug 5, 2020

Welcome, James! I recognise half of that situation... :D

8. Twocats Married... with children Aug 16, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I am Karl from Luxembourg. I have always been a watch fan for as long as I can remember. My first watch back in the 1980’s was a Casio calculator watch and I thought nothing would ever top it

The years went past, I left school and became an aircraft mechanic which meant no watches during work hours for fear of getting caught on something in the plane. I basically stopped wearing watches because of this until I met my wife who is a massive watch fan and that re-ignited the spark for me.

My first big spend was a Breitling Transocean Chono in 2011, it was a limited edition of 2000 pieces and I loved it. Today I know where Breitling is on the totem pole but back then it went hand in hand with my love of aviation.

In the years that have passed I have made most of the mistakes a newbie does and I have had quite a high turnover of watches that I Lusted after, purchased and thought Not for me. Then I discovered Fratello Watches and fell in love with the speedy because of the articles. My Speedy is my number one watch, closely followed by my Seiko Prospex turtles.

I still have a great deal to learn and am a little wiser now with my purchases. I don’t buy what everyone raves about and maybe that’s part of my high turnover but I like what I like for the time I like it

Currently I have 6x Turtles a Speedy Pro, FOIS, Breitling Transocean, Dodane Type 23, Bremont Wright Flyer and a Tudor BB 58 Navy Blue.

The wife has a much bigger collection than me but she is a keeper not a flipper.

Cheers

Karl

hyperhad, OmegaP99 and TimeODanaos like this.
  9. OmegaRody Aug 16, 2020

Nice to have your significant other a watch fan like us.
    Welcome!

10. Twocats Married... with children Aug 17, 2020

Thanks, the wife also loves cars, I end up coming off second best in The Who drives what category at home :)

OmegaP99 likes this.
  11. Twocats Married... with children Aug 17, 2020

Thanks for the welcome, glad to know I am not alone with my purchase mistakes. With all the experience on these pages it would be possible to put together a pocket guide to watch buying.

my biggest mistake was not understanding how case diameter worked in relation to a small flat wrist, I paid for that one.

hyperhad likes this.
  12. Flashgordon80 Aug 17, 2020

Hello there,
    They say “never turn a hobby into a profession”, that is not entirely true. For me the hobby has come back after 10 years, and I’m still a professional watchmaker:)
    I’m located in Sweden, Wostep trained. I specialize in vintage Omega, and this is also what I enjoy playing with on my spare time.
    You could say that I have a “liberal” view on the topic of originality. Some would use the term modify, I like to think of it as refining and craftsmanship bordering on art;) As long as one is honest about what has been done.
    I work all day with these incredibly beautiful movements that are hidden and out of sight, just to show themselves to a watchmaker now and then when in need of service. This is why I enjoy making open case backs for these old watches, they deserve to be on display!
    My instagram account is bsufm (if it is ok to inform), there you can see some of my work.

I hope I can contribute, I certainly enjoy reading and learning from the forum.

See you!

43AE4C6B-0686-4193-A7C8-FFD277E4EAC2.jpeg
    BD80DA2D-1EA9-471C-97A9-A8A8DECA9424.jpeg
    584916FA-E1A4-49E9-AE5C-0D69C2199790.jpeg

Edited Aug 17, 2020
    YYTIN, yande, jcon1913 and 2 others like this.
  13. OmegaP99 Aug 17, 2020

Welcome! I am of a similar mind when it comes to display backs, no harm since it can very easily be made correct in 2-minutes. The beauty of these copper colored movements is well worthy of showing them off. I just bought one of the german made display backs for my MKII, and it's great fun to take in the work that went in to creating these beautiful, tiny machines.
    Are yours mineral, sapphire?

14. Flashgordon80 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you, well I make the open case back out of the original, the cut out “medallion” comes with the watch. Generally I will use sapphire, although it works well with mineral, no real wear on the back side.
    The dynamic in the picture is a monocoque, on that watch the case it self needed opened up.
    BB9A7BB5-3F84-4FDB-A2E2-18AD8DBEF8D6.jpeg E198958D-F2D8-4FC6-AA53-BC97D6AC70A9.jpeg

yande and OmegaP99 like this.
  15. OmegaP99 Aug 17, 2020

I think personally I'd prefer to keep the original case back with the watch and buy a new one to be cut. I do love the idea of sending the "medallion" with the watch, or even drill a small hole and attach a jump ring so it can be used as a pendant or key ring.
    Thank you for explaining your process!

Flashgordon80 likes this.
  16. Twocats Married... with children Aug 18, 2020

The Challenger is such an iconic car, they sell for major money here in Europe. I would love one as a weekend toy.

17. ScottieDarin Aug 18, 2020

Hello everyone,
    This is Scott from Taiwan. I'm not really a watch guy until very recently. I've been a fountain pen fanatic for over seven years, and I ventured into the realms of Wristwatches in search of my perfect 30-year-old birthday gift to myself. I'm currently quite torn between an Omega Speedmaster Golden Gate Chronograph (175.0034 Issued in 1990) and an Eterna Les Historiques Full Calendar Moonphase watch.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  18. Pro Diver Aug 23, 2020

Hello everyone. Thank you for allowing me to enter this forum. I have been collecting watches for many years and just recently added a Speedmaster Professional to my collection. I also own a Seamaster Professional as well. I started out collecting dive watches and have transitioned to chronographs. I live in western New York and am a retired college professor.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  19. C4L18R3 Aug 25, 2020

Hello! I may or may not have introduced myself when I first got here in.... 2014.... so I'm doing it now. I've been collecting for some time now but due to time constraints I was only really active at WUS and spend some time in 2 Seiko forums. Nonetheless I love Speedmasters and peek here for most of the past 6 years. Chronographs with a classic/vintage look is my favorite type of watch and pilots as well. I have yet to own a Seamaster mostly because I always gravitate towards getting another Speedy (I like the 70s models). I was able to grab a really nice Aqua Terra once... quartz 39mm with the white textured dial... but the wife took it!

OmegaP99 likes this.
  20. dazed1 Aug 27, 2020

Hello all! I found this forum while researching and drooling over pictures of a new Planet Ocean 8900 which I now own due to the excellent write ups and discussion found here. I have been an avid watch enthusiast for quite a while. I also am a guitar / amp gear head and a full time IT "professional" lol.