Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. NemesisR6 Jun 22, 2020

Hello. Name's Ryan.

Been researching candidates for my 40th birthday gift to myself and settled on the Speedmaster Pro.

Growing up here in Florida on the Space Coast, I've been obsessed with space exploration since I can remember, and it's the only watch brand/series that "connected" with me at all. Everything else just seemed too impersonal........though many are very marvelous to look at and admire for their craftsmanship.

After countless hours poring over brands/models/videos/reviews/historical accounts, I decided on the sapphire sandwich version. I realize that purists will contend it's not a "true" moonwatch, but honestly that doesn't really matter to me. Neither does that fact that there is very little chance it will ever be a true collectors item. This is something that I could see owning for the rest of my life, and someday leaving to my son, who is cut from the same space-crazy cloth. Again, I can't say the same for anything else I've looked at.

I don't anticipate becoming much of a collector (I have too many other expensive hobbies!), but I do find the idea of a man having a nice wristwatch that can be passed down to be a very romantic notion, indeed.

Thanks for all the fantastic information on this site that helped me in my decision!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matchlock Jun 23, 2020

OptionZ, looks like we share the same good taste.:) I see that you have the box, does the paperwork give any clue to date or model number? these are front openers so not so easy to see inside.
    Mel.

3. shiloh_101 Jun 23, 2020

Okay here goes.

I got somewhere in the vicinity of drunk this past Saturday and decided that I could damn well afford to get myself a used Seamaster. Always wanted one, had some extra money so I started poking around for used Omega sales. I at least had the wherewithal to realize that Ebay would be a jungle of fakes and questionable pieces so I ended up on Chrono24. I filtered a search for Seamaster Midsize (yes, I'm dainty) from Dealers in the US, automatic, blue dial. Found one I liked for a price I could swallow, read through the reviews for the dealer and suddenly found myself clicking "Buy". <sigh> I know enough about watches to know the difference between a quartz watch and an automatic and I have a couple of Seiko 5 autos but I had no business dropping this money on something like this with so little research. I usually investigate something to the point where I lose interest in it before I even make a purchase, but by God I wasn't gonna let that happen this time. Chrono24 looks reliable, dealer seems legit.....BAM! Anyhow, I went to bed excited and woke up horrified. The hell did I just do? That sense of dread is what prompted me to do the rather cursory Google search that led me to this fine place. If only it had occurred to me on Saturday instead of Sunday. In my defense, it would never have crossed my mind that there would be a community as helpful as this one. One that would be willing to look at listing and do its best to keep a noob from making a mistake. Most places are more along the lines of "do your own research and take your chances". Had I only known.

Anyway, the watch is in transit so I don't have it yet. I think there's a reasonably good chance I'll be perfectly happy with it. I bought it to wear it. I'm not a collector (yet..hehehe) nor an investor. I've wanted an Omega timepiece since I first became aware of high end watches and what they are about. As long as it's real, is as nice looking as the pictures and keeps reasonable time. I'll be thrilled.

I'll post up pics and details when it gets here so you guys can make fun of me. I'm looking forward to hanging around here and learning some things.

EDIT: Added photo.
    IMG_2888-xl.jpeg

--Elliott--

Edited Jul 10, 2020
    janice&fred, pete91m and 140dave like this.
  4. DirkM Jun 28, 2020

Hi All

My names Dirk, I live in the North East and recently acquired my dad's watch which was his Dads.
    Know nothing about it apart from its an Omega (I assume kosher)
    I've read you can get the serial number or model number (identifying number) from inside the watch but wouldn't know how to begin opening it up
    I'd be interested to know as much information as possible as I'd like to get a strap that suits the watch and have it as near to how it was when made
    Any advice and opinions received with thanks

IMG_20200627_151758.jpg
    janice&fred likes this.
  5. RonJ Jun 28, 2020

Hello, my name is Ron and I live in Northern Virginia. I like watches, cars, planes, and guitars.

For over 10 years, I owned a Speedmaster Professional 145.022-69 ST watch which I liked very much.
    It was a pre-Moon watch with only the Hippocampus Sea Creature on the back.
    I ended up selling it back to the prior owner (a friend) for non-financial reasons (it had sentimental value to him).

So, after a while, I made the "mistake" of looking at various Speedmaster watches for sale.
    And, as you can suspect, I found one I really liked. It was one year older.
    So now I have a 145.022-68 ST watch with the same pre-Moon caseback.
    It is very similar to my old watch but it has the DON Bezel and applied Omega logo on the dial.

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to luxury or vintage watches but I do like this website for learning more about them.

IMG_7088-sm.jpg
    pdxleaf and Omegafanman like this.
  6. zagato125 Jul 3, 2020

Hello all:

Gabe here. I've been a long time WUS member.

Pilot and huge James Bond fan, so you know where this goes.

Joined this forum after being told by a few friends to just do it.

I finally got myself my very first "expensive watch", an SMP 300m Chronometer. Love the damn thing. The most comfortable and versatile watch I have owned.

[​IMG]

I have not worn it in a bit since it needs a service but I am definitely hesitant to send it to Omega as I've heard a few interesting stories. My usual watchmaker is not taking on Omega's after their latest parts ban.

My next Omega will be a Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich. There it is on my wrist after visiting it a few times at the Omega Boutique in Orlando.

[​IMG]

Omegafanman and pete91m like this.
  7. dchapma1 Jul 10, 2020

Fantastic choice! Congratulations.

8. dchapma1 Jul 10, 2020

Very nice. Beautiful patina on the lume and DON is pretty rare.

9. Bluedial Jul 10, 2020

Greetings from Cape Town. Been a member for a while but decided it was time to get involved.

I have a small collection of Seikos and a few Omegas.

Look forward to enjoying the forum

WP_20160120_007.jpg user37457_pic87298_1442601960.jpg 20190828_095656_HDR_Film1.jpg 20190828_095456_HDR_Film1.jpg
    PauloSummer, OmegaP99, Moroz and 3 others like this.
  10. killer67 Jul 10, 2020

Nice collection and welcome @Bluedial
    Dibs on the blue 6139 if you sell

Bluedial likes this.
  11. Bluedial Jul 11, 2020

Thank you.
    I'll try and remember that

12. Moroz Jul 13, 2020

Hello everyone. My name is Steven. I'm new to the forum but I've been on WUS for a long time. My collection is mostly divers and chronographs. My only Omega is a Speedmaster, and I hope to add an older Seamaster at some point in the future. Looking forward to spending more time here!

IMG_3852.jpg

Bluedial likes this.
  13. OmegaP99 Jul 13, 2020

Greetings from Portland, Oregon! I am a long time Omega enthusiast, got my first vintage and NOS pieces as a high schooler and have never looked back. I don't maintain a large collection, but keep a few favorites at a time. I used to be very active in watch forums such as TZ & MWR many years ago, then took a break for about a decade because life happened, and recently decided to jump back into the forums after assisting a buddy in buying his dream watch, and first "real" watch, a MK2 Speedy Pro w racing dial, gave me the bug again. Quite a bit has changed in the watch world and among manufacturers in that short time I'm seeing, so I'm working to catch back up. I revived my old user name from previous forums in the event some of you may remember me, and yes I still have the same IWC 3706 I was showing off back then, it's been my daily for over 15-years and you WILL get sick of seeing it. I also have and love wearing my Flightmaster Ca. 911 that was a "living inheritance" from my father so he could see me enjoying it, and I have it on my wrist as I type this. My other piece is a Seiko Turtle SRP777 that I got to play in the water with.

Past Omegas no longer in my possession have included a PloProf, a few Dynamic Chronographs (should have kept one), Seamster 120, MK40 reduced (another I should have kept), another Flightmaster 911 or two, bumper Seamasters, pocket watches, & some 1930's cushion pieces among others I'm probably forgetting. Have also had Girard Perregaux, other IWCs such as vintage dress pieces and an titanium AT, Hamilton, Rolex, Tudor, and the other usual suspects. I prefer stainless steel pilot and diver pieces, or tool watches, and have a special affinity for vintage Omega chronographs in general, the brighter the better. I have small wrists but love big watches. Other interests include old cars, road trips, vintage racing (watching, not participating), classic films, beer, and rescuing pups who need a forever home.

Oh yeah, I found this forum after joining WUS a few months back and realizing that I was yearning for more Omega content than I could get even there, so yes, I am utterly obsessed with the Omega brand and cannot wait to learn more from the other experts and owners out there.

My current pieces, minus the MK2 as stated.

IMG_9843.jpg
    pdxleaf and Stewart A like this.
  14. tmalco Jul 15, 2020

Hi all,

DC-based researcher getting into mechanical watches. I've been powering through Seinfeld seasons during quarantine, hence the avatar. Posting here because I think the Moonwatch will be my first big purchase. On the lookout for a 3590.50. Right now, I'm alternating between a Casio World Time (for running) and a Steinhart OVM (for everything else). They've served me well, but I could use an upgrade. unnamed - Copy.jpg unnamed2 - Copy.jpg

OmegaP99 likes this.
  15. dstfno Jul 16, 2020

Hello, my name is Steve and I’m from Belgium. I’ve been checking out this forum and its many interesting topics for a long time now. As I feel that I might have some things to add more often than not, I finally decided to register.

I bought my first luxury watch in 2016, an Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. It has kept me company through many travels and important life events for 4 years. I’ve also used it in its natural habitat (diving) more than once. As after trying some other watches I started getting the feeling it is too thick and too big for me I sold it a month ago. Even though I still think that the design is one of Omega's best. It also carried some memories of some not so good things that happened in these last years, which only recently got sorted out, so I thought it was a good time to let it go.

In the meantime I’ve also owned a Speedmaster First Omega in Space. A watch that I still admire but I couldn’t really bond with and also couldn’t get used to winding it every day, so I sold it only a few months after purchasing it.

The watch that probably got me the bug is the Seamaster that Pierce Brosnan wore in the Bond movies. At the time it was absolutely unobtainable for me (a 10 year old kid) and I thought it was the most amazing watch in the whole world. 21 years later I managed to find one in good condition and I keep it more as a token, only wearing it on special occasions.

Looking forward to exchange experiences and knowledge here!

Untitled.png Untitled2.png

Martin_J_N and OmegaP99 like this.
  16. jcon1913 Jul 17, 2020

Hi Everyone, I have just come across this thread, so.....

I got a watch from my mother which had been my father's. The watch was broken in an accident which took his life and she had bought the watch for him as an engagement present. So.....anyway she asked me to get the watch repaired, I trudged around to a few watchmakers but so far no joy. Fast forward a good few years, I'm the go-to guy in the family to get jewellery repaired, cleaned, valued, coz I know a few jewellers and watchmakers.

Anyway to shorten the story, I recently decided I'd like to have a decent watch of my own to pass on to my children - this has now blossomed in to a slight obsession - my third Omega is due to arrive in the next few days / weeks ( thanks Royal Mail ) and I'll start to put up my vintage watches here when I get a chance and get decent pictures. Collection is too big a word but I have a few basic watches.

Thanks everyone on here - I didn't know so many people shared this particular obsession of mine.

pdxleaf, OmegaP99 and pete91m like this.
  17. roseskunk Jul 23, 2020

Hi guys. My name is Vaughn, been on watchuseek forever, but figured I should join this forum as I get tired of hearing about Rolex. I don't mind them, but honestly, I prefer Omega as well as other brands. I own about two-dozen watches, the most recent a Tudor BB58. I own a Speedy, a Planet Ocean, and a vintage Omega, among my others. I'm really looking to downsize some, maybe five good watches, the Speedy, BB58, Seamaster 300 or Railmaster from the trilogy, an IWC Mark 16, and maybe an Explorer 2 if the prices return to earth. A GS would be another nice option.

I'm an art prof by profession, a few years before I can retire. Am I looking forward to it? Yup.

APC_2397 copy.jpg

18. mattisok Jul 24, 2020

Hi all,

I'm Matt. I'm a software engineer based out of California and I've been a watch fan since I was young. I got into serious collecting in the past 3 years or so and own ~15 pieces, but my true luxury pieces are all currently Omega.

I bought my first Omega 2 years ago while on a business trip to Tokyo from an Omega boutique in Ginza. Driven by my love for Bond films, the connection the first film has with Japan, and the connection they have overall with my father, I purchased a Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. After that I really caught the bug, and to celebrate some accomplishments at work I was lucky enough to find and purchase a Speed Tuesday edition Speedmaster which I've placed on a 1957/957 bracelet to match the vintage logo. This is definitely my current heavy-hitter and one that always finds its way onto my wrist. Finally, for my birthday this past year I picked up a Globemaster with blue dial on a bracelet. I'm a huge fan of the pie-pan dial callback to the original Constellation models and love the simple and elegant look of that piece. Now that I've been lucky enough to amass what I think is the perfect 3-watch collection (diver, chrono, dress) I'm looking to expand into a GMT, but we'll see how that goes.

Happy to be a new member of the forums!

12C3602E-6C47-4E66-A356-2DD9E4706F8D.jpeg E63D06DA-81EA-40AA-AE18-51A23A01289B.jpeg IMG_1968.jpeg

19. PlainVanilla Jul 26, 2020

Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum because I'm looking for my first vintage Omega - preferably a solid gold Geneve but I'll get back to it in the WTB section later. I live in Paris, France, and I'm a photographer amongst other things. I have a solid passion for photography and I mainly shoot film Leica cameras, for the ones here who know about them. I have absolutely no experience with Omega watches so far and I'm looking for some good sources of information about vintage Omega watches. Well, I think that's all for now. Cheers!

nimzotech and OmegaP99 like this.
  20. Martin_J_N Jul 26, 2020

Great trilogy of Omega's, congratulations.