Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Furioso May 7, 2019

Hello

I am new to horolgy, did a bunch of research, fiance liked her ring, wanted to buy me a timepiece. I decided on the Aqua Terra, 8900. I have had it 5 days...read and watched videos, what not to do (overwind, bump, magnetize, etc.). Wore it most of 5 days, nothing out of ordinary. Stopped working! Can't wind it, shake it (only tried a bit, nothing violent), moved hands. Nothing works. Second hand is stopped. Movement half circle part visible through back (rotor?) was stuck, moving now when I shift the timepiece. Bought new from AD. Thoughts? Anybody else have these issues? I searched a bit, nothing came up. Big time bummer. $6k for this thing w tax and all, and I get a defective one? Please tell me I'm missing something simple. It's late for me here, I'm about off to sleep, thanks for any input.

2. Swissmister May 7, 2019

Thanks for having me. I'm Sam, and I've had a love for watches since I received my first Timex for Christmas as a boy of five or six. I've had few others since then, including the great little watch shown in my avatar. The eyes move. If only it kept good time.

3. Swissmister May 7, 2019

Sorry, I replied to the wrong post. New guy error.

4. Swissmister May 7, 2019

1. Keep fiance. 2. Get another watch.

Furioso likes this.
  5. Swissmister May 7, 2019

I'm no expert, but I believe taking the Omega to the dealer would be in order here, and I would ask for a new watch, not a service for the one that isn't working.

Furioso likes this.
  6. Lurk41 May 8, 2019

+1, go back to the AD and ask for replacement. A service will take several weeks (even if it is faster for watches under warranty), not a problem for me when it is a scheduled service but for a brand new watch and a gift, not sure I'd accept to wait that long.

Now for my presentation :)

Hello,

Sporadic reader of this forum, in which I already found lots of interesting information thanks to all of you, and I finally decided to join the party!

I am an IT engineer from France - please, pardon my English - I bought my first watch about 5 years ago but loved them since I was young. I still remember that I liked looking at the watch ads in the magazines (especially car magazines - cause I like cars too).
    I wanted to start with a small budget, with a mechanical or an auto but one search leading to another, I decided that the watch I truly wanted was the Speedmaster - there are worst choices to start a horological journey. Problem is I was still budget-limited, so I bought a Reduced from a well-known ebay vendor (about 1000$, while the "real" one was starting at 1500$, which was cheap compared to nowadays). Since, I never regretted my choice once. Even if I buy the Professional one day, not sure I'll sell it...
    One year later I found a De Ville coaxial GMT (same model than the one with the armadillo bracelet), still on ebay, and after having discussed with the seller, I decided to buy my second watch and my second Omega. As I was the sole bidder - high starting price and seller with only a few feedbacks - I had the chance to get it way below the market price. Beautiful model, I got compliments from friends, colleagues and several employees of my Omega Store (got one no longer than 2 hour ago when I got it back from service, the woman never saw that model - and when I brought it a few weeks ago, the person even asked a colleague to come see it!). I liked it when I saw it the first time, but the more I look at it, the more I love it and the more understand why people are so fond of it.
    And the third one (and last one for at least a few days) is an Hamilton Khaki Field 40mm with the H-10 caliber. Also my only first-hand watch (not for at least a few days :D). Like it very much, especially since I put it on a Swick MN strap.

All are "small" watches, but they all fit my equally small wrist (6 1/4")

Not sure of the next watch I'll have - too much models I like - but I know I'll have it soon. I'll have even two: one with flyback because I want it for timing my rest time during my cross training sessions, so either an unmodified Citizen Bullhead Octagon, a Seiko 701x, or... an Omega Polaris 1/100th! (plus it has a lap counter). And not sure for the second one but for sure also a vintage. I missed a Seamaster 176.007 recently for less than an hour (I'm still kicking myself for that one) and that is the model on top of my shortlist. The others are: Chronostop, Speedmaster Mk II, Constellation Pie Pan (14900, 167/8.005) or C-shaped preferably with a fluted bezel - looks like I have a thing with the Connies designed by Gerald Genta (and big thx to "Desmond" - not sure he is part of this forum but pretty sure all Connie fans know him because the content of his website is just amazing). And for the shortlisted non-Omega: Nivada CASD, UG Compax, UG Polerouter, Angelus Datalarm (with the big "A" on the dial), and maybe a Bremont S300 (damned, not a vintage!?). Did I already say I like too much models? :D

Cheers!

7. AT92 May 9, 2019

Hi guys,
    My name is Bas and I own a 2017 AT MC. I came to this forum to learn more about the possible bracelet options and part references.

8. photo41 May 9, 2019

hello, world :)
    It is good to be here.
    My name is Valentin, I am interested in pocket watches and I have an Omega from 1894
    Its serial is 1423658, I believe.
    I'd appreciate more information if possible[​IMG]

OMEGA.jpg
    Edited May 9, 2019
    Swissmister likes this.
  9. Furioso May 9, 2019

10. Furioso May 9, 2019

Dealer took it back no problem. Flabbergasted, but did the right thing right away. Refunded full price. I was very dismayed over the whole thing, watch was boxed, new, AD, but clearly defective. AD took a brief look at it, as I am new to nice timepieces, thought perhaps it needed to be wound, took about 30 seconds to figure out that was not the issue. Anyway, I felt the universe was just telling me the whole high end timepiece is not for me, so I took the refund, not sure if I'll ever buy again. That was the watch for me, for sure, that it went so strangely south is just too odd to ignore. Have fun guys, I'll stay on a couple weeks as I make my final decision, if you have any encouragement fir me to try another Seamaster, I'll be happy to read about it..

11. Lunar May 9, 2019

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here, finally got round to joining. I live in Hampshire, UK and work in London. Been interested in watches since saving up for a (now almost vintage) Tag Formula 1 - the original small one.

Treated myself to a Seamaster 2254 11 years ago which I loved. This was stolen last year and replaced with a black SMPC. This is smarter than the 2254 but wears smaller which I really like. The raised indices on the high gloss face really pop.

Would love a Speedy Pro at some point in the future.... Learning lots from the huge amount of expertise here - and enjoying the banter too!

Cheers all !

91A19EB9-D5DC-4850-9A48-0A4A4FE8F51A.jpeg

Swissmister and KeithS like this.
  12. Lurk41 May 9, 2019

@Furioso Pretty sure you were just unlucky, Omega is one of the biggest brand of the industry and one of the rare to offer 5 years warranty. They are selling reliable products but despit all the tests during the manufacturing process, it will never be a 100% success. It is something we have to keep in mind and it is the same whatever the industry. Sometime sh** happens, we just need to minimize them as much as we can, and be ready when it happens.

If you enjoyed your Aqua Terra during these 5 (short) days, I think you should give it another chance.
    Plus there is some extras when you start getting along with your dealer. For example, last december I was invited to a "watchmaking" introduction. Basically I spent an hour and a half all alone with the watchmaker: I disassembled a movement, learn the good method to remove the pieces and fasten the screws - and why all watchmaker at Omega are asked to do it this way and not another one - we discussed the brand history and its values, how the cases were built (and "smile" at the very plastic look of the White Side of the Moon even if it is a monobloc of ceramic), the novelties, how the watchmakers behind the scene are not always as "polite" :D as in front of the customer when they saw that "someone" tried to repair the watch by himself, the fact than thanks to 3D scanning they can now rebuild nearly all the parts of any watches built after the mid 50's (hence the now unique price for service)... And it ended up by taking some extra time to try some pieces, just for the pleasure of it (couldn't try a lot of them because I sadly needed to go back to work - I was only half an hour late in the end :whistling:).

For me, that kind of thing is part of what defines a high end brand. They are selling high end products, but also an experience

Furioso likes this.
  13. KeithS May 9, 2019

I'm sorry to hear that you had such an unfortunate/disappointing experience. I can definitely understand your hesitancy to try a second watch. However, if you really enjoyed having a special timepiece for the few days that your watch was working, then I think you should try again. I know I really appreciate being able to look down at my wrist every once in a while, smile, and think about how nice it is to be sporting a beautiful, well-made timepiece. That said, I do think it's a little ridiculous to be paying $6K for an Aqua Terra. Did the AD give you any sort of discount? If not, I would highly recommend working with one of the reputable dealers on the forums to get either a brand new or like new Aqua Terra at a considerable discount.

Furioso likes this.
  14. Furioso May 10, 2019

It was slightly under 6000, included 6.25% tax, and an additional warranty covering blemishes on the band, etc., for three years.

15. Furioso May 10, 2019

I did quite enjoy the watch, and it is still exactly what I would buy if I take the plunge again. What are people paying for them? AT 150, metal bracelet, 41mm...new...I'm in washington d.c. area, seems it's harder to get a deal around here. And Omega just raised prices, now lists for $5700. If could get one for about $4700, it'd be out the door with tax for under $5k, that might get me back to the table. When I went to Omega shop in Tysons they gave me a flat "no deals" when I was ready to purchase. I walked out, then had the next experience with a defective item. Again it just seems the universe is steering me away from a nice timepiece. I don't want to be superstitious, also don't want to be foolish. Radical acceptance is sometimes useful, no matter the seeming absurdity. Thanks again.

16. Swissmister May 11, 2019

Furioso, I would very much recommend buying one gently used for much less money. It is rare to have an issue like this. I always enjoy items I buy for half of retail much more than paying retail.

17. fast08 May 12, 2019

Hi there,

Regular lurker and poster over watchuseek finally decided to make an account here :) Over the years I found quite a bit of useful information here and decided to say hello...

Current collection after much trial and error

IMG_20190508_085736.jpg IMG_20190409_084951.jpg IMG_20190117_154626.jpg

yande likes this.
  18. Yester5 May 19, 2019

3F18CE96-3B52-4470-984F-0702870BE236.jpeg Hello from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania!
    I’m a 65 year old retiree and have always wanted a Seamaster. Yesterday the stars aligned and this 2054.50 will soon be added to my rotation. My other daily beaters are a Sinn U1 and a Seiko Tunacan. I’m totally new to the world of Omega, so any info you can give me about my Seamaster would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to learning as much as possible from this forum

DaveK and WurstEver like this.
  19. Furioso May 20, 2019

Okay, hello again, I was on a week or so ago re: Bnib seamaster AT 41mm from AD defective. I an interested to buy one from a trusted seller here, preferably Nib, valid warranty, etc. Looks like i have to have 200 substantive posts first. I hope I dont run afoul of posting in wrong place - wanted to start here as several helpful responses made some suggestions regarding my search, perhaps can help get to right place for leading into a sale exchange.

20. mmrols May 21, 2019

I'm Matt. I'm a 39 year attorney from Dallas, Texas. I started getting into vintage watches about a year ago and purchased a few old Seamasters. Recently pulled the trigger and bought a Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I'm hooked! Looking forward to being involved in this forum.

DaveK likes this.