Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Furioso May 21, 2019

I am not having much success figuring out the 'trusted sellers' here...saw the bit about 200 post minimum, sales are actually on other sites, etc. If it not against forum rules, can you help me figure out who to contact regarding interest in a like new or new AT? Thanks in advance...

2. KeithS May 21, 2019

Look in the "Watches for Sale" section and pick someone that has good feedback (check in either the "Seller Profiles and Reviews" section or some sellers even have links to reviews in their listings). Send one or more of the sellers a private message, text message, or just call (they usually have emails and phone numbers listed in the descriptions of watches they are selling) and tell them what you are looking for and ask if they can help you find it.

3. Furioso May 21, 2019

Thanks! Just discovered how to access my alerts and replies. .getting there!

4. Twehttam May 23, 2019

Hi, OF’ers, thanks for creating this awesome community of content and camaraderie. I’m in my 40s and have always been drawn to the Speedmaster Pro. My grail is a Snoopy or Alaska but, alas, those are out of my budget so I’ll admire from afar. :)

I am concentrating on a Speedy Pro or FOIS as my daily and, ideally, my “one” watch. Trying to simplify in a lot of areas in life. I’ll be keeping my Weiss Field Watch, though, as it was a gift from my wife. But, that’s it.

So... big decision to make, but I’m close. Wish me luck!

Nice to meet you all.

DaveK likes this.
  5. Furioso May 24, 2019

SO - to follow up my initial post (above), less than 2 weeks after my poor experience entering the world of luxury timepieces, I am giving it another try. With mdgrwl's assistance/ support/ service, I took delivery this morning of a nib Rolex Datejust 41mm Jubilee smooth bezel stainless black dial. Already posted on the positive seller's feedback thread. Day 1 - we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your supportive comments, and enjoy your weekends!

6. josh_a May 24, 2019

Greetings All!

So happy to have found this fantastic website. My name is Joshua, 35 year old consultant currently residing in the mountains of North Carolina, USA. I was bitten by the bug early, so to speak. I inherited my grandfather's gold Bulova when I was 10 years old. That watch was a gift for 25 years of service with South Central Bell, and dates from the mid 70's. It's in all-original, unpolished condition and is cherished.

After school and landing my first 'real' job I gifted myself a Seamaster 300 Co-Axial in 2008. Still wear it to this day! Since then I have added a Planet Ocean 232.30.42.21.01.0001, a 1971 Accutron Spaceview (Chapter Ring), a birth-year Rolex DJ in white gold with a denim dial, and most recently an Omega FOIS Speedmaster. Love them all!

Extremely excited about joining the community, and look forward to learning from you all!

Cheers, and a happy weekend to everyone!

7. josh_a May 24, 2019

Twettham,

I was in a similar spot recently and went with a FOIS. It really is stunning, I absolutely love it. Waiting on an 1125 bracelet as we speak! It's been getting the majority of wrist time for a month now. Let me know if you have any questions!

Best of luck!

Twehttam likes this.
  8. Twehttam May 24, 2019

Thanks, @josh_a ! I pulled the trigger on the FOIS today. :) Let's see that steel when you get it... might be tempting!

9. DiiQue I don't believe that is possible. May 24, 2019

Didn't even know this thread existed until it popped up in "latest" view, so my intro is sorely late...

Hello fellow OFers! My name is Jeff and I am currently located in Doha, Qatar, though my family and I will be leaving for our onward assignment - Canberra, Australia in a few months. I'm an IT professional working for the State Department, so we move from country to country every 2 to 3 years.

I just got bit with the watch bug late last year and now frequent this site on an hourly basis. Hehe. I've enjoyed reading and learning from you all and look forward to learning something new!

My current collection consists of a Tudor BB black, an Air King, a Longines Legend Diver and my favorite - the CK2998 Pulsometer.

Thanks for reading!

Twehttam likes this.
  10. Nivka May 26, 2019

Hello, OF. I’m nick, a 39 year old doctor in residency in Australia. Married with 2 kids, 2 and 4 years. I’ve been into watches for around 6 years. Have a 2017 116610ln, skx007 and a 1973 geneve. Hoping to add a speed master pro next...maybe a hesalite sandwich.

A74D4D79-788F-4E96-8AC5-20BF17446E4F.jpeg
    Twehttam and WurstEver like this.
  11. Furioso May 26, 2019

A hesalite sandwich? Is that vegamite's new vegan version, mate? AWWWWW YEH YEH YEH.....

Apologies, couldn't resist. Welcome, and enjoy!

12. Martin_J_N May 28, 2019

Hi, just want to introduce myself, my name is Martin and currently based in the south-east of the UK. On Saturday I purchased my second Omega watch the gorgeous Moonwatch, this was 9 years after my first the Seamaster 300 professional. I had no idea that this forum existed until yesterday so I thought I had better join, I am thoroughly enjoying the content and finding out loads about Omega watches.

Here is my Moonwatch.

upload_2019-5-28_22-14-41.jpeg

Twehttam and WurstEver like this.
  13. mmrols May 28, 2019

Welcome and conrats on your fantastic looking Seamaster

14. mmrols May 28, 2019

Beautiful collection!

15. mmrols May 28, 2019

Awesome looking collection, and welcome! I have to say I'm a bit jealous!

16. mmrols May 28, 2019

Welcome Gary! For that leather strap, I recommend Watch Gecko. They also have lots of cool alternative steel bracelets and natos that look great on Speedmasters.

17. BoostedStig Jun 4, 2019

Hello,

I'm Anthony, semi truck driver from the Chicago area.

I like to think my grandparents started me into watches well before I was old enough to understand what I was getting into. My grandfather always wore and still does wear watches, and I used to watch James Bond movies with my grandmother on weekends as a kid and of course Bond always had watches. As far as I was concerned, the two coolest guys I knew always had a watch and I needed one too. When I was 10, Goldeneye came out and all I could think about what that blue Seamaster with the laser that Bond had! 2 years later the Nintendo64 Goldeneye game came out and anyone around my age will remember that the Seamaster was a huge part of the entire user interface for the game.

Fast forward 20ish years and I finally got that blue faced Seamaster Professional, not the most recent one with the wave dial, but the one it replaced. I followed that up with a Planet Ocean GMT, the reference escapes me at the moment but it's the one with the black and white ceramic bezel. I'm a new member to the forum here but I've been lurking for a while. Aside from my two Omegas, I've got a handful of Citizen quartz watches and a Seiko automatic from their vintage inspired re-craft line. Who knows what's next for me, but it might just be a Speedy Pro.

Anyway, glad to be here. See you all around!

Twehttam likes this.
  18. staytuned Jun 5, 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm Dylan, another long time WUS lurker from the western NC area.
    For the past few years, I've been trying out various watches, ending up with a rotation of a few Hamilton, Tissot, and Steinhart.

2019 is the year that I've decided to finally pull the trigger and add a Speedy to my humble collection, and figured it's time to sign up for an account here.

Looking foward to learning more, and finally getting my dream Omega. :thumbsup:

KingCrouchy and Twehttam like this.
  19. goedie Jun 8, 2019

I guess it is the right time to introduce myself!
    I've been a long time lurker at OF and other international forums yet, only genuinely active on the Dutch "horlogeforum". I'm a 22-years old Dutch student with a passion for watches since I was around six years old. At that time, my grandpa passed away and left me a watch. It was a 36mm two-tone Pontiac watch that was made to look like a Rolex Datejust. Back then, I was as proud as can be with a piece that belonged to my grandfather around my wrist.
    About ten years passed, and I collected a few simple watches down the road. Yet, the true passion started again when I was around 15 years of age. After I worked my butt off at a bakery in my school holidays, I wanted to buy something special. A true icon that would keep its value and would give me a feeling of accomplishment for my work. I bought myself a vintage Speedmaster Professional.

When I bought it, I thought it would be my daily wearer for my whole school career. Man, I was wrong....
    In the last five years, I have had a wide range of watches: several Submariners, Datejusts, Day-Dates, Seamasters, etc. etc.

At the moment, I have about a dozen pieces left. I am most proud of my Zenith trio and my Jaeger-leCoultre's. I love these two brands in particular because of their killer movements.

I attached some pics of my collection. I sold the Day-Dates to be able to afford the JLC's from the first pic.

I would love to contribute a bit to this community. Besides, I am working towards a new acquisition, and when the time comes, I think I might need some help from the community.

Rainy regards from the Netherlands! 93485e83524c65059ee0163282742f70b212733e.jpeg c015777dc80c27a92082443231b0120138b0017f.jpeg 7A5D29D4-0F41-4F83-9D56-3CA5550BF0F4.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-03-21 at 12.26.47.jpeg

20. joe1845 Jun 8, 2019

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, infrequent question-asker here. I'm a 37-year old librarian from Ireland, living near Dublin. Have been bitten by the vintage Omega bug, much like many of the rest of you! Recently dipped my toe into the vintage market for the first time and bought the 1972 Geneve below... I absolutely love it, much more than any of my 'modern' watches. Only fly in the ointment is a slight warp in one of the centre links where it joins the body of the watch, but I don't mind that too much. Have found the forum super-helpful in terms of advice and what to look out for. However, now have a strange urge to acquire more vintage Omegas... who would have thought that could happen?? 20190603_164557.jpg 20190603_164557-1.jpg 20190603_164957-1.jpg 20190603_165500-1.jpg 20190603_165259.jpg

DaveK likes this.