Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Vikingnova23 Apr 3, 2019

Hi OF,

After almost two years of making pit stops at this forum to learn and to drool over SMP’s that I couldn’t afford, I decided to be be a member. My love for the brand started with my family’s passion for Bond, which resulted in my father purchasing a 2531.80 for himself. Unlucky for me, I’m pretty sure my twin will be the one to inherit it (SOB).

Which brings me to why I’m here. I’m here to learn and to eventually purchase my first SMP (either 2265.80 or 2254.50) I’m in no rush, but I will only purchase from a reputable member. I have zero interest in selling. My goal is to create a new tradition with eventually handing down a SMP to my son when the time is right. I look forward to interacting with you all.

Cheers!

Edited Apr 5, 2019
  2. Millenary Watches Apr 5, 2019

Välkommen!:)

Kral likes this.
  3. Anex Apr 7, 2019

Hi OF-

Been lurking for awhile, but decided it was finally time to join in. Here to read and learn as much as I can. Don’t own an Omega yet, but have always appreciated vintage speedmasters. I look forward to purchasing one for myself someday soon, but have lots to learn.

About me: I am currently a resident physician in interventional radiology based out of Houston. My wife would tell you I have too many hobbies: guitar, coffee, knives, antique shaving gear, watches, and chasing around my 9 year old Belgian Malinois.... the list seems to go on. I look forward to learning from you all.

Kind regards,
    Tom

4. archmagenmr Apr 9, 2019

Hi OF,

This is CK hailing from Taiwan. I stumbled upon the forum when doing some research for my first mechanical watch purchase - and my first watch purchase in close to 30 years. Just bought a Seamaster AT (ref. 220.13.41.21.03.001) after much deliberation. The point that swayed me to buy an Omega was probably the anti-magnetic movement: I am a nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopist by trade and routinely use machines with magnetic fields up to 18 Teslas (180,000 Gauss) at the core and stray fields of ~1 Tesla outside the machine.

I am still getting used to the feeling of having a wristwatch again, and hope to learn much more about horology in general and Omega in particular from you all.

5. Nocaster Apr 9, 2019

Hi OF,

I'm Joe, originally from Scotland, currently living in England, but working in Strasbourg. I have a couple of nice watches, which started with an Ebel classic wave in steel, date, black face and roman numerals. My most recent purchase, which I was, and still consider myself, very fortunate to get was the 'Hulk' sub. I hadn't intended to buy that watch, I had my heart set on the black, but they dealer didn't have one. It's only looking back, that I consider how lucky I was to get that particular watch. I've joined here, hoping for some advice about getting an Omega (my wife has a constellation) I'm looking at SpeedMaster Professional or Planet Ocean GMT. I love the craftsmanship that goes in to a watch, especially anything made before laser cutters and CAD.

Regards
    Joe

6. mrs_LA Apr 9, 2019

Hi OF,

New to the forums but I have been around on other forums for a while now. I have always owned watches dear to me in the last 10 years, but only in the last 2 years did I start serious watch collecting (mostly vintage!). Looking forward to having some nice discussions over vintage and modern watches over here at OF - I have heard many great things about the forum.

7. SC1 Apr 15, 2019

Didn't see this thread until now -- and after I already said Hello in a separate post, so... Hello again!

55 year old jazz musician/writer of a manuscript (that can't seem to find its way to being acceptable to a demanding yet patient agent), husband and dad, servant to a miniature Dachshund and huge fan of Omega timepieces (and very soon, hoping to have one on my wrist).

Glad to have found this corner of the internet so I can learn and chat amongst other Omega'ians!

8. RemiWM Apr 17, 2019

Hi OF!

New member from Norway.
    Been lurking around this great forum a couple of years.

A little about me:
    Age 36, married, 1 kid, live just outside of Oslo, work in the elevator and escalator business.
    My collecting started in 2014. Started slow with Orient, Seiko etc. My dream was to own a Speedy within 5 years (2019). It took only 6 months and my first Speedy was bought new. Since then it has only escalated. Currently my collection is Rolex Explorer 1 - 214270, Seiko chronograph from Dec. 1982 (birthyear and month!), Orient, Certina, Victorinox Inox, and so on. I sold my second Speedy Pro last year to start saving for the 50th Apollo 11 Speedmaster. Can’t wait to see the watch in mid May!

SC1 likes this.
  9. christopherchiou Apr 21, 2019

Hello fellow OF members!

Just found this thread even though I’ve been on for a few months now but wanted to formally introduce myself! I’m Chris, originally from the SF Bay Area but moved round a bit for school, initially to LA, and then now to NYC and have been here for the past three years. I’m an architect and work on various types of buildings from residential to commercial, but now focus heavily on luxury retail. Our office has a long standing history with the Richemont group and worked on stores for various watch brands under their umbrella. We have also done numerous flagships along 5th Avenue including the Hublot and Tag Heuer stores. I feel lucky that I can bring my passion for watches into my everyday duties at work!

I originally caught the bug back in 2016. It’s funny because I remember my friend showing me his new JLC MUT he got and I didn’t think much of it. Nice watch, but I couldn’t fathom having something on my wrist all the time as I hated the feeling. Fast forward 3 years later to 2016 and I’m knee deep into this fascinating world of tiny mechanical machines. I started off with a Nomos Orion as a safe play. Due to the Bauhaus styling and simple design, new as well, and relatively affordable, I thought it was a good starting point. It was also a treat to myself for starting grad school. I wore it for about a year and this caught the vintage steel sports watch bug, and it was all downhill from there. Never looked back. Have a few pieces including a pre-moon Speedy, 90s IWC Fleiger, and a 80s Tudor sub lollipop I just picked up. Have been eyeing the Rolex Pepsi GMT for ages and will hopefully pick it up sooner than later!

I’m glad I’ve stumbled across this forum as it seems to be the only place where I can share my constant obsession for these little buggers and I won’t seem crazy!

10. Saturn V Apr 22, 2019

Hi guys,

This is my first words here!
    Some about me: I'm from the far NE Italy, near 50, I work as engineer in private company, with a past of jewel designer with specialization in lost wax casting.
    I've been in love with watchmaking since I was 16, so... many decades ago: my first love was Zenith, closely followed by Longines, then Rolex, Panerai, IWC, so Glashutte Original (this is a brand I really like a lot) and Omega in the last ten years. I'm not a collector, I just bought some watches from various brand during the years: the only common line between them is that I bought only what I like, other features are not for me.

Thank you for welcoming me to this group.

Best,

S.V

Mcvictory likes this.
  11. Observer I know nothing! Apr 22, 2019

Hello,
    Been here a couple weeks and have learned most of what I know about watch collecting in that time.
    My father loved his watches, and the first watch I came to appreciate was his Speedmaster that would have been from '50s-early '60s. No idea what became of it, he passed from Alzheimers a couple years ago and it may be somewhere in my Mom's house, but who knows. I did inherit a couple other watches from him that are the core of my small (but growing) collection. I wear his old Seamaster regularly, as it's in good but worn condition. The other watch of his that I own is a first execution Heuer Carrera that I wore a few times, but no longer do since I realized the importance of preserving it in its current condition.
    Now I'm absorbing knowledge from forum postings, and keeping an eye out for watches that will build a decently well-rounded collection: a bumper watch, a Constellation, maybe at some point graduate to a 321 Speedmaster (but I'm not eager to learn any expensive lessons there).
    Thanks to the OF gurus for sharing their expertise and having so much patience with a rookie!

12. Violawit Apr 22, 2019

Hi Guys,
    I've always had a bit of a fascination with watches, and finally in a place where I can indulge a bit here and there.
    I'm a 36 year old American living in Germany, and I'm an orchestral musician. My first 'nice' automatic watch was a seiko starlight I bought for the beauty of the dial, and since I've acquired a beautiful mechanical seiko Marvel from the late 1950s. I've wanted an Omega for a long time, and through a friend who I didn't know until recently was a huge collector, I acquired an original, good condition seamaster from about 1970.
    Reading through the forums here has been fascinating, there is a ton of information and I look forward to posting!
    Cheers, Chris

WatchShopping likes this.
  13. wiem0014 Apr 22, 2019

What's going on everyone. Newer member here and just saw this thread.

38 year old software salesman from MN that has fallen DEEP down the rabbit hole. Currently have two watches (Planet Ocean 600m and Speedy DSotM) with a Speedy Tuesday 1 on the way this week (thanks to these forums!).

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge and being so nice to us new guys!

WatchShopping likes this.
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 22, 2019

Post photos or it's your word against ours.

15. Knife21 Apr 23, 2019

Disclaimer- my talents aren’t in posting great intros.

So here goes. Up until five years ago I thought my smartwatch was the bees knees. When the battery died and I was quoted $200 to fix it from the manufacturer, I smelled a bad deal and decided a legitimate watch was a good idea.

So I bought a Fossil. This was a mistake, the scope of which wasn’t clear until two more years elapsed. Tripped across an “homage” maker on Instagram and ordered a Dan Henry 1964 - while the piece was qualitatively better then the Fossil, the fact it was a replica of classic pieces meant it was in fact another step backwards .

Further research opened my eyes to the world of classic and good watches from brands like Omega. Of all the watches out there by Omega I didn’t find one which spoke to me ...until I opened a random email ad and noticed the 39mm Speedmaster Date .

I’m finished making mistakes, ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for hosting this forum and I look forward to future interactions with fellow watch fans.
    [​IMG]

16. Frank1962 Apr 23, 2019

I posted my “hello” elsewhere but wanted to be included here. I am in DC. We have a well-run OB in Tyson’s Corner. I have the Seamaster in my profile pic and the Speedmaster posted here. Thank you for letting me “watch” and learn. Frank 6257EBE6-546A-40AF-8F5D-FCFE074817C7.jpeg

17. Violawit Apr 24, 2019

IMG_20190422_103728.jpg IMG_20190422_103719.jpg IMG_20190422_103708.jpg IMG_20190420_140023.jpg IMG_20190420_140011.jpg
    Here you go!

Hell’s Teeth and efauser like this.
  18. Hell’s Teeth Apr 27, 2019

Hello OF members
    I’ve been lurking & learning for a while now so thought it was time to introduce myself. I live in the UK and admire and covet mechanical watches particularly Omega.

My first Omega was a 2254.50 300m Seamaster Professional which I purchased from a then AD in New York back in 2004. From memory I paid just shy of £1000, the AD did me a great deal as we were making simultaneous purchases of jewellery for my wife. Although the 2254 is a great (potentially classic) watch, which has now had x2 OB services (so clearly authentic) I still kick myself that I didn’t instead opt for the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch which I could have had for a similar price. However, at the time my heart was set on having a ‘Diver’ and if I’m totally honest I didn’t then fully know/understand the heritage of the Moonwatch.

My next Omega was the 4832.31.32 De Ville Power Reserve on leather as depicted in my avatar as I wanted something formal, followed by an 231.10.42.21.02.001 Aqua Terra covering both casual and formal.

I remain drawn to the Speedmaster having previously pragmatically resisted it in favour of the above watches all of which I had from new. However 2019 now marking both the Moonwatch and my 50th Earth anniversary I do feel a romantic sentimentality towards finally making a Moonwatch purchase this year.

My username describes the exclamation my mother made when I first showed her all 3 Omega’s sat beside each other in the Omega triple watch box as per photo. (apologies for the poor quality)

I very much enjoy the community spirit of the forum for sharing knowledge, expertise history, heritage and views for all things Omega and horological and hope to learn and contribute where and when I can.

Cheers

96B470AD-ABC2-449C-959A-63556DDDA947.jpeg

blacka01 likes this.
  19. blacka01 Apr 28, 2019

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and learner on here and very grateful for all the knowledge imparted by the forum experts. I’m currently located in Switzerland near Geneva (which I guess is convenient for this hobby) but originally from Ireland.

I have purchased two new Omegas this year. The first is a sapphire sandwich Speedy, grey market off Chrono24 (but with dealer stamps and full Omega warranty). I know it’s not the most authentic choice but the added durability and visibility of the nicely finished movement swayed the decision.

The second is a 8900 orange accented PO purchased from the Omega boutique in Geneva. I paid top dollar of course for the boutique experience but they threw in a nice black/orange rubber strap to slightly sweeten the deal. It’s a big watch but I have a large enough wrist for it, I think. With this one I really appreciate the quality (bracelet, ceramic dial/bezel, applied indices, etc) and the accuracy (on average gaining less than a second a day).

Next purchase will definitely be a vintage (50’s, 60’s) Seamaster, or maybe a Connie. But boy what a minefield. Thanks to all the experts contributing on the vintage sub forum that have already steered me away from the innumerable obvious redials and over polished junk pieces on the market. Lot’s more learning and research to do I think before pulling any triggers.

Thanks again and looking forward to future learnings and maybe even contributions at some stage

20. Ralph971 Apr 30, 2019

Hi there, 

my Name is Ralph. I live in Germany, am in my fourties und work as a lawyer. I am a big Vintage and, thus, Omega-Fan (although none in my Box yet). I am a regular of the German "Uhrforum" for years now. I am looking forward to read and learn and contribute as much as possible. Having read along now for a while, I enjoyed the very friendly atmosphere and now decided to join.

As a positive side effect, I hope to improve my englisch. My postgraduate in Scotland seems ages ago, so please be patient. ;)

In short, I am really happy to be part of the community now :)

All the best
    Ralph

Edited Apr 30, 2019
    Passover likes this.