Forums Latest Members

The Great Big Introductions Thread

1. Dawn Jan 14, 2019

Hi all!

I'm Matthew Dawn from Belgium. I stumbled unto this forum through Hodinkee, I normally spend most of my time over on r/Watches on Reddit. It has been years since I was on a forum, cool to see the format still lives on! I got into watches only about half a year ago. I had a 90's Timex but it broke a year ago due to water damage sustained from scootering through the rain whilst on a trip through Northern Vietnam. After that incident, I set out to find something more waterproof but never suspected that I'd tumble into a whole new world of luxury/tool watches. I thought Quartz were the only ones and mechanical ones were from like before the invention of batteries and anyone who paid more than a hundred bucks for a watch was just showing off.

I found what I needed in the Tudor BlackBay 58 but it didn't still the hunger for more watches. I spend some time at auctions and now I have a Universal Moonphase triple date too but it turns out to be too small for my liking so I'll be selling that one pretty soon.

I look forward to mingling with this community!

2. UHguy Jan 20, 2019

Hello all!

William from Texas here. I recently (2 days ago) acquired an Omega Seamaster Diver 300M. I set out to find my first mechanical watch in June if 2018 and finally decided on the Omega after looking at several other dive watches. The wave dial and ceramic bezel are what really sold me on the Seamaster. I have a son coming in April and hope to pass it on to him one day. I probably won't post a lot but figured I would stop in and say hello here.

garryboy likes this.
  3. hungdangnguyen23 Jan 23, 2019

Hi guys, a little late to the intro party here but I'm Hung from the Bay Area. Got introduced to the wild world of watches by my brother who's an Omega fan (the modern side at least with an Aqua Terra and a Planet Ocean). I fell hard for watches and quickly got into the buying/flipping frenzy. Hopefully, for my bank account's sake, that will slow down.

It's taken me a while, bouncing around from large Seiko divers to micro brands and modern lower end luxury like Tudor, before I've come into what I think will be my groove - 50s and 60s vintage watches. Part of the reason I've settled into vintage is by necessity (I have a skinny 6.25 inch wrist) and I simply appreciate vintage aesthetic and style more than big, brutish modern pieces.

The vintage side of my watchbox consists of:
    Omega Seamaster 166.032
    Omega Constellation 14393
    Universal Geneve Polerouter (Cal. 215)
    Jaeger LeCoultre Cal. K480
    Certina DS-1
    Seiko SARB027 & Seiko SARB029 (not vintage per se, but very much in the vintage spirit)

I hope to build my vintage collection and learn more from all of the experts on this amazing forum! Maybe some day, as I accumulate knowledge and experience, I'll be able to make my own contributions to this community as well.

GoldenDragon likes this.
  4. Mac5 Jan 23, 2019

Hi everybody. My name is Clint and I live in Florida . High school astronomy teacher, avid golfer to the point where it often gets me in trouble with the wife and twins. Also, obviously into the night sky and anything astronomy related. I got the Omega bug when I asked my Dad if I could fix his old 1967 Omega Speedmaster companion and wear it. I just purchased my second vintage 1952 Omega automatic (cal. 344) with a clous de Paris dial-waffle-honeycomb or whatever anyone else wants to call it. I don't know a lot about Omega watches but I love reading and researching all things Omega. But I must admit, it is a bit overwhelming. I also enjoying seeing the joy that a vintage Omega can bring to so many people. I'm grateful that there are so many experts out there that I can ask if I have questions. I will do my best not to ask stupid questions and research before I post. Here are the two watches. Dad's watch is first then my second purchase just this month. Thank you!

IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2068.JPG Watch 1.jpg Watch2.jpg
    pippy, ICONO, WurstEver and 2 others like this.
  5. OmegaSwordHands Jan 26, 2019

Hi all,

My names Guy from the UK.

Just brought my first Omega. Always been a Rolex man and have owned 7 of them in the past (I’m a bit of a watch flipper!) but thought I’d try something new.

Picked up this beautiful Seamaster 2254.50 which is s 2006 model and in excellent condition.

Here’s a pic:

39C21F35-0E6C-4EC4-B063-624919CA70ED.jpeg

Cheers all

Guy

pippy, Noddyman, ICONO and 2 others like this.
  6. Fretworker Jan 26, 2019

Hello Guy, a warm welcome to the Forum. We share an exact taste in Seamasters. It's my daily beater. I'll be surprised if it's the only Omega you acquire. Most members seem to succumb pretty quickly.

mydeafcat and OmegaSwordHands like this.
  7. OmegaSwordHands Jan 26, 2019

Thanks for the warm welcome! Can’t see me flipping this one, it’s a modern classic! So comfortable and quite an elegant watch for a diver!

All the best

8. Willbur Jan 26, 2019

Hi Everybody.

I'm collecting 70's Tissot from few years ago and notice some fans of this brand on this forum also.
    I have quite finalized my search and if one day I will go to another brand it would be Omega with a dynamic.

Regards

collec2018_1.jpg

Syzygy, cristos71, lillatroll and 2 others like this.
  9. TimtimeIntl Feb 2, 2019

Hello OF members,
    I've been an inactive member of only one other watch forum but always enjoy informative watch posts wherever I find them. Any brand. I had recently quit an engineering job in 95 and a wife's friend wanted 2 watches from a local watchmaker. My wife wanted 2 as well. He knew money was tight at the time so said if I can fix all four, then the 2 for wife were ours. I sat next to him for better part of a year till first son was born and found I liked watch repair. 5th watch I did was a LeCoultre SS 911 alarm with rare dial I ended up owning (and selling at a profit). My watchmaker friend would occasionally buy a walk-in watch, repair it and make a profit. That lead me to repairing, buying and selling all these years since. Because of that LeC alarm, they have been my favorite brand but living on the Space Coast and having designed rocket chambers for a living in the past I have always had a fondness for the space program et al. I like Speedmasters and all Omegas second to my LeCoultres. I found an OF member via an ebay auction and he cited some info posted on this site and I liked the community so much that here I am! I look forward to sharing information and hopefully buying and selling as well when I make 200. The 200 posts is a pain, but it also is what drew me in as it really makes me feel safer if I ever do buy something.
    Tim

ICONO likes this.
  10. Mauzer Feb 5, 2019

Hi Omegaforum!

For a while I've been active on local watch forum, horlogeforum.nl, under the same nickname. The dutch watch forum is an informal place to discuss a lot of things.

I found OF couple of years ago when searching for specific information about some watches. Thanks to the great level of expertise I Feld confident enough to buy my first vintage Omega here. I'm still under the impression that if some watch is being offered here where some details might be off, it will be in the ad or comments.

That was in the beginning of last year, my first vintage Omega was an Omega Geneve from '58 with cal. 491. I like the movement, dial, applied logo and many more... If only the clasp was an original as well! Ah well, everything on its own time.

Since then I've been watching this forum more and more. I've collected four more beautiful vintage watches from this forum. I'm still finding my way around this forum: what topic is placed where, who are the locals, what is the atmosphere around here, and so on.

I'm planning to write some topics about some of my watches with a bit of background story and information, but also to share some quick shots of watches, read about specific models and stroll around the market place drooling over some grails being offered every now and then.

Here some photo's of the Omega Gevene cal. 491

fullsizeoutput_2547.jpeg AaGLa1X5Quiv%LhzojtUtw.jpg

Greeting from the Netherlands!

Clint, pippy and ICONO like this.
  11. ara.hambone Feb 6, 2019

Been stalking Omega for a while. Finally pulled the trigger on a PO 600M 46mm steel on a bracelet, and it's a beautiful hunk of steel. I agonized between this watch the Blue Titanium version, still waffling and actually may swap. I love having an Omega in my "collection", which is just one other watch... a PAM320.

I work in Finance at Fitbit in San Francisco.

Sorry for the hair wrist shot, Armenian.
    Cheers,
    Ara

IMG_2929.jpg
    pippy, ICONO and Docjsw like this.
  12. kcbbq Feb 15, 2019

Hi all, my name is Scott. I live in Overland Park, KS and grew up in TX. I’ve admired the Omega Speedmaster since sometime in the late 80’s. In the interim family and life’s responsibilities have precluded a purchase. Now, however, the time has come to jump in and procure my first “nice” watch. I’ve been lurking for awhile and appreciate all the information available here. Little did I know everything that goes into selecting a timepiece. I’ve narrowed my search down to Speedmaster Professional or Speedmaster Racing. Hopefully, moving forward, as my knowledge grows, I can become a helpful contributor to the forum. In the meantime I’ll try not to ask too many dumb questions. Thanks to all for your help and contributions to this community!

13. Syzygy Feb 25, 2019

I seem to have fallen into this rabbit hole and have found it goes on and on forever! My name is John, I'm in a career where engineering is a focus and have learned most of what I do by just sticking my nose into everything. The Speedmaster grabbed my interest not only because of it's simple beauty, but the engineering and detail that went into the machine. I've been digging around the interwebs for as much information as possible and stumbled upon this community. By far...the.best.resource.for.knowledge...period! Thank you (and curse you!) all for enlightening me on what I do believe is a new found passion. After about 2 years of digging and searching, I made my first purchase of this little booger here! 3592.50 Apollo XI with display back (so I can peer into the marvelous engineering of the machine!) And so it begins... IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6086.JPG

pippy and ICONO like this.
  14. Fritzer Mar 3, 2019

Hello OF members,
    my name is Freek, 39 years old and from the Netherlands. I've been looking around here for quite a while now, and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. I've always been interested in watches, but until last year I was only looking at them (which still gives me great pleasure). The first "real" watch I bought was a Hamilton Jazzmaster thinline (now worn by my father, because I can't imagine wearing a 43mm watch ever again). Last year I got infected by the vintage-virus, and that's when an entire new world opened to me. The story behind the brands and individual watches, the better size for my wrists, but mostly the enthusiastic people collecting them. Currently I'm mostly active on the Dutch watch forum, but this community brings a lot of good information and watches for sale as wel. I hope to enjoy this place for a long time. These are the watches I bought last year, in chronological order:

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_3689.jpeg

IMG_5034-2.jpg

IMG_3744.jpeg
    pippy and ICONO like this.
  15. Hec Mar 12, 2019

Just wanted to say Hi!.

I have a few nice watches, but not any Omega... yet!

I have been trying to educate myself by reading a lot on this forum and I believe I am ready to buy my first Omega from a reputable seller here. I will post some pics as soon as I have it :):):):)

ICONO likes this.
  16. Shackles17 Mar 15, 2019

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris, and I am from Toronto, Canada. I have only been a member for a few days, but have thoroughly enjoyed reading through the informative posts, and discussions that this forum has to offer. I am admittedly new to the world of vintage watches, and can already tell that it is both a thrilling, and for me, a potentially dangerously addictive (in a good way) hobby. I am looking to obtain my first (of most likely several) vintage pieces for my wedding which is coming up in June, and am hoping to find a beautiful dress watch. My early preferences are leaning towards either the Seamaster Deville, or the Constellation, but will continue to study the great resources on the forum before making my decision. Thank you so much to all of the other members on here who offer such great advice, and share their vast knowledge. I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Chris

17. CommandoSwat Mar 18, 2019

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jeff. Just recently joined the forum after being a long time lurker. I have to say I'm blown away by the wealth of shared knowledge between fellow watch enthusiasts and would love to join the fray! My first great watch was the trusty Speedmaster Professional and I've been hooked ever since. Looking forward to being involved!

Jeff

18. Kral Mar 27, 2019

Hello OF,

New member from Sweden here.
    The watch that got me into watches was a Longines Flagship heritage. It was my first, and for several years only, watch. Still enjoy it! Took a few years to gain interest in vintage but finally got hooked. Impressed with the amount of knowledge available on forums like OF :)

Kral 28FF02DC-E1E9-4D99-9363-4274A7424F8F.jpeg

19. Waxtactic Mar 27, 2019

@Kral - welcome to the party pal! I'm still relatively new here as well, but it's a great group of people with a ridiculous amount of knowledge that they all use for the greater good. Enjoy your time here!

Kral likes this.
  20. Omega-Q Apr 2, 2019

Hi all...My name is Q, and I am an Air Force officer currently working in the Pentagon. I am a watch enthusiast, and very recently purchased my first Omega! I own a few watches: Casio G-Shock, Seiko Kinetic and PADI Diver LE, and a Cartier Tank XL. I feel like my first real foray into watch world was my purchase of the Cartier Tank (because a Tank should be in the collection)!

My father was issued an Omega when he attended flight training here in the U.S. He was serving in the S. Vietnamese AF at the time. He was able to come over as a refugee in 1974 with my mom. To this date, I have only seen that watch twice, and when I most recently inquired about it (wanted to send it in to Omega for a full service), they told me it was in the safe deposit box. I still have no idea what model it is, but circa 1970s. I've always wanted Omega since my father owned one.

I purchased the Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Titanium/Tantalum/Sedna Gold LE after seeing it in person at the OB. I had my heart set on the Diver 300M Steel on Steel with Grey Dial, but being able to see the LE changed my mind! Two different price points, but I feel like I made the right decision.

Anyways, I hope to learn a lot more about Omega's history, watches, and where it will go into the future. Additionally, as an Air Force guy (with upcoming Space Force), Omega brings a heritage like no other brand!

Longbow and Vaylalo like this.