The future of the Constellation

If they would make a modern Connie, piepan dial, 35 or 36mm case, dogleg lugs, thin profile, chronometer automatic, comfortable & light BoR bracelet, I ‘m in. Just a modern clone of the original one. I would happily pay 8k.

But they need to do it right; good proportions, dial very high in the case, and so on. The movement does not have to be state of art for me, but a nice chronometer of course.
Edited:

Interestingly, the 2023 version represents an improvement over the 1982 one : the date wheel's colour matches that of the dial and there's an index under the date window ️😎

Now if only Omega could do the very same with its modern Aqua Terra line... 🙄

I went to the Omega AD in Ann Arbor and inquired about getting the blue dial globemaster. I was told they were getting one in a month if I wanted to come in and look at it. But they also told me that it was going to be discontinued soon. Not enough sales and interest in the market for it.
That’s really interesting. I saw a blue dial Globemaster in the OB in Florence yesterday and although beautiful, its original USP (the Master Chronometer status) has now been rolled out across the range (even the new Speedmasters). I thought to myself at the time that if it was a straight choice between the Globemaster and an Aqua Terra, I’d go for the AT in a heartbeat. It just feels to me like it occupies an uncomfortable space in the Omega range so, if true, I could see why it would be discontinued.

I went to the Omega AD in Ann Arbor and inquired about getting the blue dial globemaster. I was told they were getting one in a month if I wanted to come in and look at it. But they also told me that it was going to be discontinued soon. Not enough sales and interest in the market for it.
Yea I saw your other post saying this too. Not good news for hoping for a new Constellation or more variants if it’s true. They essentially gave us a pie pan variant and we didn’t buy it.

Yea I saw your other post saying this too. Not good news for hoping for a new Constellation or more variants if it’s true. They essentially gave us a pie pan variant and we didn’t buy it.
Technically true, but if Omega writes off one of their most successful design features, that's on them. Tudor released the P01, and while it had features that a lot of Rolex and Tudor fans enjoy, it was just too bizarre of a watch to appeal to most. Arguably, the Globemaster, with its odd combination of C-case and pie-pan, rendered in a beefy, sporty case, placed itself into one of those 'grey areas' that interested many, but satisfied few. The inclusion of a fluted bezel also inevitably drew comparisons to the Datejust, which were only exacerbated by the lack of public awareness of the C-case and other companies' use of the design feature.

Ultimately though, I think one of the reasons Omega hasn't released a new Pie Pan, dog-leg watch is because they can't. The original cases were black polished (lapped), and to my knowledge, none of the modern cases from Omega use anything more precise than a soft polishing wheel. Show me a modern Omega that can match this finishing:

If they would make a modern Connie, piepan dial, 35 or 36mm case, dogleg lugs, thin profile, chronometer automatic, comfortable & light BoR bracelet, I ‘m in. Just a modern clone of the original one. I would happily pay 8k.

But they need to do it right; good proportions, dial very high in the case, and so on. The movement does not have to be state of art for me.

If they can do it for the 321 Speedmaster, then they could surely do the same with a new model based on a classic Constellation? It’s just the market though, they won’t do anything unless they know they can make money from it. And it would have to have the latest chronometer movement, they’re not likely to do this with a quartz or current automatic movement.

Arguably, the Globemaster, with its odd combination of C-case and pie-pan, rendered in a beefy, sporty case, placed itself into one of those 'grey areas' that interested many, but satisfied few.

Show me a modern Omega that can match this finishing:
^ ^
Absolutely this. And you, sir, have a dogleg pie-pan that even I must concede is totally stunning! 👍

Ain’t nothing like the real thing …
This is from the guy who just bought a modern interpretation of a vintage Seamaster. 😉

This is from the guy who just bought a modern interpretation of a vintage Seamaster. 😉
True, but I have a half dozen or so REAL vintage Seamasters too! 😀

Technically true, but if Omega writes off one of their most successful design features, that's on them. Tudor released the P01, and while it had features that a lot of Rolex and Tudor fans enjoy, it was just too bizarre of a watch to appeal to most. Arguably, the Globemaster, with its odd combination of C-case and pie-pan, rendered in a beefy, sporty case, placed itself into one of those 'grey areas' that interested many, but satisfied few. The inclusion of a fluted bezel also inevitably drew comparisons to the Datejust, which were only exacerbated by the lack of public awareness of the C-case and other companies' use of the design feature.

Ultimately though, I think one of the reasons Omega hasn't released a new Pie Pan, dog-leg watch is because they can't. The original cases were black polished (lapped), and to my knowledge, none of the modern cases from Omega use anything more precise than a soft polishing wheel. Show me a modern Omega that can match this finishing:
I agree with your assessment of the Globemaster. Very nice pie-pan. Those lugs are crazy sharp!

IMHO it seems to me that Longines is finding enough homes for all its re issues. They get by with some fairly hum drum movements. I think part of the problem is thickness of current omega movements . This also seems to be driving up. size to keep proportions. logically I shouldnt want it but I am more interested in the idea of an at2500 at 11 mm than the newer version
.. which is too thick. I think this is group politics where omegas niche is movements of high sophistication. also rolex arent doing it and they cant because other than stupid colours the design language hasnt changed for 40 years other than size. lol
Addendum tried to interest wife in a watch - no dice w any ladies range esp constellation even though it is the only one that comes auto in 30mm. eventually got a 33mm de ville prestige mop which is very restrained but the newer version was 34mm and thicker.

An experience and a thought:

- Late last summer, looking to burn a stormy afternoon before a dinner reservation, I improbably convinced my wife to go to the local, fancy mall to look at watch shops. Because there was a line out the door earlier, our last stop was the Omega boutique and she was, as you might expect, done with it. As I ogled a globemaster the SA asked if she wanted to look at anything. I encouraged her to and she first looked at a DeVille, which she found "too shiny." The SA (clearly a professional) said, "then try this one," handing her a steel and Sedna gold Constellation with a diamond bezel and aventurine dial. She relented, put the watch on and visibly melted. She fell in love with watches in that moment. We spent the next hour looking at all of the women's watches in the shop, learning all about chronometers and aventurine and Sedna, and thought we left without it, she was now horology-interested and I caught the benefit of my watch purchases suddenly seeming reasonable.

- I wonder how we could make this and other US/Western forums more welcoming to (probably English-speaking) asian watch collectors and enthusiasts? I think we would do well to understand the center of the world has already shifted - and not just because of the enormity of markets, but in the loci of creativity, innovation, technological capacities, and common work toward a shared future. Instead of thinking of one part of the world as the weirdos in love with a watch style we never liked, maybe we should consider that we're the backwater with an unhealthy obsession with getting Omega to reissue a modern attractive 70s throwback SM300.

KbItMvh.jpg

Ok - I have to confess that I am a fan of the constellation (smaller size for women), and I really like the aventurine face. It has actually unleashed a watch obsession in me, particularly automatics that have a smaller case diameter. I have to say there aren't that many out there in that category.

I have not splurged on anything fancy just yet, but a 29 mm constellation is still high on my list. While I get why they aren't that popular for men, I don't quite understand the cristism for the ladies' styles. And of course, if the roman numeral bezel is a problem, you can always go for the diamond bezel - that solves the problem!

An experience and a thought:

- Late last summer, looking to burn a stormy afternoon before a dinner reservation, I improbably convinced my wife to go to the local, fancy mall to look at watch shops. Because there was a line out the door earlier, our last stop was the Omega boutique and she was, as you might expect, done with it. As I ogled a globemaster the SA asked if she wanted to look at anything. I encouraged her to and she first looked at a DeVille, which she found "too shiny." The SA (clearly a professional) said, "then try this one," handing her a steel and Sedna gold Constellation with a diamond bezel and aventurine dial. She relented, put the watch on and visibly melted. She fell in love with watches in that moment. We spent the next hour looking at all of the women's watches in the shop, learning all about chronometers and aventurine and Sedna, and thought we left without it, she was now horology-interested and I caught the benefit of my watch purchases suddenly seeming reasonable.

- I wonder how we could make this and other US/Western forums more welcoming to (probably English-speaking) asian watch collectors and enthusiasts? I think we would do well to understand the center of the world has already shifted - and not just because of the enormity of markets, but in the loci of creativity, innovation, technological capacities, and common work toward a shared future. Instead of thinking of one part of the world as the weirdos in love with a watch style we never liked, maybe we should consider that we're the backwater with an unhealthy obsession with getting Omega to reissue a modern attractive 70s throwback SM300.

KbItMvh.jpg
Yes! Ilike those also, though I think the diamond bezel, two tone metal and aventurine all in one is a bit busy, I do like the look of those.

I see them. Mostly with ladies. More often than not they are the quartz versions. They stick out to me since my wife has one of the automatic versions so I notice them. I like the design. It’s one of the few ladies watches in that size that work in my view. My wife would never wear anything bigger/a men’s watch.

My little Connie, bought recently. I have a small wrist, and this watch fits perfectly on it. And I love it: it's thin, it's accurate (about -1sec/day). And it was also affordable (950€). It's from 1999.

My little Connie, bought recently. I have a small wrist, and this watch fits perfectly on it. And I love it: it's thin, it's accurate (about -1sec/day). And it was also affordable (950€). It's from 1999.

That’s a nice one. I really like the dauphine hands and applied logo. Agree they are very thin and comfy and mine from late 80s also keeps incredible time.

I want to clarify that I’m not trying to knock on other people’s tastes or say the Manhattan design is total garbage. In my opinion it’s just an okay design. Kind of a funky 80s thing. I think the previous designs were much better. So it’s weird to me why the Manhattan has stuck for 40 years. I understand if it’s selling great in other markets and with the ladies models there is no incentive to change it. After all, Omega can only make so many watches in a year and they are obviously focused elsewhere.