The future of the Constellation

I confess to not only owning a Connie of the Manhattan line, but also quite liking it, is it a fave……no, I don’t even wear it often ( the same goes with all my dressie watches, I’m not a suit sorta bloke. In fact haven’t worn a suit n tie for over 30 yrs and in no hurry do so again.
But have a bit an in your face manner and style, so a subtle classic dress watch is largely invisible on me, but the Connie is distinctive enough for me without a whole lotta sparkling shit hanging off it.
I have one too! I actually enjoy it for what it is and wear it in rotation. But, it was given to me and is not something I ever would have purchased. Its light, thin, comfortable, and keeps amazing time. But it’s still kind of a funky 80s thing and nowhere near the wow factor of my C-case.

As mentioned before…chatting to an Omega boutique in Japan and ladies watches out sell men’s 5-6 to 1. Also the Speedmaster at that time was the #1 seller in men’s followed by the PO. (This was lead up to the Tokyo Olympics)

As mentioned before…chatting to an Omega boutique in Japan and ladies watches out sell men’s 5-6 to 1. Also the Speedmaster at that time was the #1 seller in men’s followed by the PO. (This was lead up to the Tokyo Olympics)
I guess that’s one of my gripes too. It seems to have become more of a ladies watch. I’m not an Asian lady. Where is the Constellation for me!? 😁

Certainly not one of my favorite Omega lines. But this particular reference I would absolutely wear/own if I found it preowned and the price was right:
I kind of like a couple of them but not for that kind of money. Also, none of the references I like come on the bracelet. 🤦 This is my favorite with the linen dial vibes.

I kind of like a couple of them but not for that kind of money. Also, none of the references I like come on the bracelet. 🤦 This is my favorite with the linen dial vibes.

I actually quite like this integrated leather strap. It's certainly different. Did a little perusing for pre owned sale listings, and the asking prices seem unrealistically high.

This reminds me of that old thread that interviewed millennials about watches. They were asked which watches they thought attractive and to guess how much they cost. The responses weren't in line with what we watch people like. The interviewees had some strong negative reactions to some popular references.

There was another poll that asked women what they think about the men who wear certain watches. There were alot of 'old doucebag' comments.

Point is that women might have different taste in watches. It makes sense for a man to wear a watch that a woman finds attractive.

That's the only reason that explains to me the high sales numbers for these Constellations.

I agree with your sentiments. It’d be nice to see a reissue or interpreted reissue of the classic design.

The Asian market (particularly mainland China) is very status and brand conscious, the Connie Manhattan is quite distinctive, with the claws and bracelet design, so it's appeal to many will be that it is instantly recognisable, without having to get close enough to see it the logo.

Longines have their flagship heritage line. Omega should relaunch the 1960s Connie design in a similar way. Those are the most iconic and beautiful dress watches.

The Asian market (particularly mainland China) is very status and brand conscious, the Connie Manhattan is quite distinctive, with the claws and bracelet design, so it's appeal to many will be that it is instantly recognisable, without having to get close enough to see it the logo.
Maybe it's only popular in the Asian market because they still believe that the west still thinks the Connie Manhattan is still top tier.

I think this is a really interesting conversation. My thoughts are as follows:

1. The Manhattan-style Connie isn’t to my taste but it’s a design statement and clearly it still has a strong market. Although I quite like the Globemaster, it occupies a space for me in between a sports watch and a dress watch (a little like the Aqua Terra). I’m therefore not sure that Omega sees the Constellation in the same way that it was viewed in the 50s and 60s - i.e. as a high-end dress watch.

2. I would love to see a reissue of many of Omega's classic designs of the 1960s but I don’t feel the market is there for it, and that would probably mean a limited edition like the Seamaster 1948. Long waiting lists, high prices and there is bound to be something that disappoints or annoys those familiar with the original references (I personally hate the caseback of the Seamaster 1948).

3. The vintage Connie market is still strong and those pieces are still highly sought after. How many new members have we seen appearing on OF asking for advice about a pie-pan Connie as their first vintage Omega purchase? There is also a lot of C-case love on here (myself included). If you want to wear a nice dress watch, I personally feel that going vintage is more economical than buying contemporary - and more of a talking point, too. And under a shirt cuff, 34-36mm feels just right. 😀

So I’m not holding out for a rehash of the Connie but I’ll watch where Omega takes the line next with interest. And for now, I’m happy with my vintage dress watches!

I think this is a really interesting conversation. My thoughts are as follows:

1. The Manhattan-style Connie isn’t to my taste but it’s a design statement and clearly it still has a strong market. Although I quite like the Globemaster, it occupies a space for me in between a sports watch and a dress watch (a little like the Aqua Terra). I’m therefore not sure that Omega sees the Constellation in the same way that it was viewed in the 50s and 60s - i.e. as a high-end dress watch.

2. I would love to see a reissue of many of Omega's classic designs of the 1960s but I don’t feel the market is there for it, and that would probably mean a limited edition like the Seamaster 1948. Long waiting lists, high prices and there is bound to be something that disappoints or annoys those familiar with the original references (I personally hate the caseback of the Seamaster 1948).

3. The vintage Connie market is still strong and those pieces are still highly sought after. How many new members have we seen appearing on OF asking for advice about a pie-pan Connie as their first vintage Omega purchase? There is also a lot of C-case love on here (myself included). If you want to wear a nice dress watch, I personally feel that going vintage is more economical than buying contemporary - and more of a talking point, too. And under a shirt cuff, 34-36mm feels just right. 😀

So I’m not holding out for a rehash of the Connie but I’ll watch where Omega takes the line next with interest. And for now, I’m happy with my vintage dress watches!
Very well said. Good point that even if they did come out with a more appealing modern option the vintage pieces would still be more affordable. At least for now. And yes, C-Cases are awesome. 😀

I can understand if it’s a big money maker in Asia they don’t want to mess with it. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. But, many companies release different products in different markets. So, let Asia keep this thing and come out with some cool options for the Western markets. They’ve experimented with the Railmaster which has to live under the Seamaster line. I remember seeing an interview with Raynald Aeschlimann where he explained this by saying they have to focus on their existing lines and not get distracted. I just think the current Constellation is long in the tooth and they could do so much cooler stuff with this iconic line.

In the VERY limited circle of “watch folk” I know, three are recent era Constellation owners. Two are female, one is male, Both female owners have grey dials in ~34/36mm cases, all stainless. The male wears the big chunky one like the pic earlier in the thread. One female mid-30s, one female early mid-40s. Male late 30s.
Further, in a job that has me regularly interacting with the public on the street, I’ve seen two. One on 60+ Asian male ( all stainless ), and one on 60+ white male ( two tone ).
Five in the wild.
Now, I’m not a watch stalker, as some members are apt to be, but I’ve noticed, not counting my own, maybe two or three Speedmaster Pros, one SMP ceramic, and an AT or two ( not counting a couple of watch-centric gatherings I’ve been to ) when it comes to Omega.

The “Manhattan” Constellation, likely as not, pulls in second or third to the Submariner* and/or DJ/OP generic Rolex when it comes to recognizable watchspotting. Up there with the TAG’s variety of offerings.

Not especially scientific, but some more anecdotal evidence of this watch’s popularity.

*interestingly, I see a fair number of Tudor Subs on the wrists of obviously ( age appropriate ) original owners.

Do people really call it a Connie, or is that just here?

In any case, I was looking at a watch for my Chinese father in law and as soon as I saw the Constellation section in the display case, I skipped right over that section without hesitation.

The Aqua Terra watch to me (and to my father in law I believe) is more classic than the Constellation and more aesthetically balanced.

An experience and a thought:

- Late last summer, looking to burn a stormy afternoon before a dinner reservation, I improbably convinced my wife to go to the local, fancy mall to look at watch shops. Because there was a line out the door earlier, our last stop was the Omega boutique and she was, as you might expect, done with it. As I ogled a globemaster the SA asked if she wanted to look at anything. I encouraged her to and she first looked at a DeVille, which she found "too shiny." The SA (clearly a professional) said, "then try this one," handing her a steel and Sedna gold Constellation with a diamond bezel and aventurine dial. She relented, put the watch on and visibly melted. She fell in love with watches in that moment. We spent the next hour looking at all of the women's watches in the shop, learning all about chronometers and aventurine and Sedna, and thought we left without it, she was now horology-interested and I caught the benefit of my watch purchases suddenly seeming reasonable.

- I wonder how we could make this and other US/Western forums more welcoming to (probably English-speaking) asian watch collectors and enthusiasts? I think we would do well to understand the center of the world has already shifted - and not just because of the enormity of markets, but in the loci of creativity, innovation, technological capacities, and common work toward a shared future. Instead of thinking of one part of the world as the weirdos in love with a watch style we never liked, maybe we should consider that we're the backwater with an unhealthy obsession with getting Omega to reissue a modern attractive 70s throwback SM300.

KbItMvh.jpg

I have one too! I actually enjoy it for what it is and wear it in rotation. But, it was given to me and is not something I ever would have purchased. Its light, thin, comfortable, and keeps amazing time. But it’s still kind of a funky 80s thing and nowhere near the wow factor of my C-case.

I like that model, I say without fear. It actually got me interested in omega. Now that I now a little more there are others I prefer. I have no hard documented evidence but when I was in the OB in the Bund in China the new constellations seem to be a feature in both the window and display case and I did notice quite a few of them walking around the more upper class areas of hefei, Beijing and Shanghai and nanjing but that’s just personal observation. This was all precovid I don’t know if tastes have changed but I went regularly and would stay for up to a month at a time.

An experience and a thought:

Instead of thinking of one part of the world as the weirdos in love with a watch style we never liked, maybe we should consider that we're the backwater with an unhealthy obsession with getting Omega to reissue a modern attractive 70s throwback SM300.
Great story about your wife: sounds like we all need to take our better halves watch shopping!

I don't agree with your other comment though. No one is saying that they have weird tastes, just different. It's normal that different cultures have different tastes in clothing, furniture, art, music, food, architecture, jewelry, and watches. And thank goodness they do, otherwise the world would be pretty boring and travel would be pointless.

I don't agree with your other comment though. No one is saying that they have weird tastes, just different. It's normal that different cultures have different tastes in clothing, furniture, art, music, food, architecture, jewelry, and watches. And thank goodness they do, otherwise the world would be pretty boring and travel would be pointless.

I totally agree with you about differences. I guess I am reading a whole lot of othering asian consumers in this thread and I think there's a fundamental reshaping of center and periphery going on that we'd do well to think about.