Forums Latest Members

The Fortunate Imbecile? A Watch Tale.

1. Hoyt Dec 1, 2019

Fortunate: Favored by or involving good luck or fortune; lucky.
    Imbecile: A stupid person.

What is the biological imperative that compels us to suddenly seek out something we previously ignored?
    Where one day follows the next, until there comes a day that is…different.
    And away you go, down rabbit hole, taking every pill Alice has in her hands, searching for the white rabbit who is obsessed with the measurement of time.
    I don't know.
    I do know a couple of weeks ago I woke up and decided to go on a search for a watch.
    Which led me here.
    And to reading many things you have all written.
    And to buying a watch.
    Which this site helped me find by sharing copious knowledge online.
    Some of which I completely ignored and may regret.
    Disclaimer: I hold no one accountable except myself if this all goes to shit. Which it may.
    I don't consider myself a gambler but I am at times a risk taker.
    There’s a difference.
    I don’t get an adrenaline hit off of throwing caution to the wind and sometimes coming out on top.
    I do get a hit off of taking calculated risk, which could conceivably go bad.
    But probably won’t.
    Maybe.
    And if it does, it’s survivable.
    That being said, most gamblers would probably define their gambling in the same terms I used to define risk taking. Please allow me my artificial logic constructs.
    Back to the watch.
    When this watch was mentioned here I took a calculated risk.
    I wouldn't have done it if there weren’t some clues to follow from these two posts in particular. Thank you, gentlemen. I think.

Johnny Larue’s post -

https://omegaforums.net/threads/thoughts-on-this-refinished-speedy-mark-ii-and-others.104145/

And LouS Guide to Ebay gambling -

https://omegaforums.net/threads/guide-to-ebay-gambling-ug-edition.20338/

For a 2014 Mark ii, it has a story to tell. I'm not sure if it's a peaceful one either.
    I'm also not sure why there is copious fading and if I actually love that fading. (I think I might.) The fact it even arrived at my home is a minor miracle, the package had a huge hole in it and the watch was floating around the box completely liberated from the poorly employed bubble wrap. One on hand you could imagine the person who packed it had no idea of it's value. On the other hand, maybe they totally did hence the crap job.

I consider this watch my primary school education. At some point,when I know more it may lead to a vintage Speedmaster. But until then I’ll send it off to Nesbit’s, hope I don’t learn anything that makes my next post a soliloquy on the stupidity of neophyte horological risk taking, and thank you for letting me surf on your hard earned and freely shared knowledge.

PS. I got it at a great price. Maybe.

IMG_4157.JPG IMG_4159.JPG IMG_4188.JPG IMG_4185.JPG IMG_4181.JPG IMG_4183.JPG
    ahsposo and Nathan1967 like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 1, 2019

Looks pretty good. People can ruin these with a polishing wheel. I really wish folks would not use Priority Mail for watches. You got lucky for sure,