Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on this refinished Speedy Mark II (and others!)

1. johnnylarue Nov 3, 2019

This auction has ended already (no bids), but I was wondering what the consensus collector opinion might be on a watch like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REFERENZ-1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What I see:

- very nice original dial
    - correct replacement hands
    - serviced movement (with a few replacement bits)
    - not-quite-Omega-grade (?) refinishing job on the case and bracelet

As my quest for a nice Mark II continues, I feel like I'm reaching a point where *any* refinishing is too much refinishing. I'd rather have all of the case's original metal there with scratches and dings than lose a gram to create the illusion of newness...

That said I can't deny this watch still looks pretty nice to me.

So: who would buy this and how much would you pay? ;)

2. OmegaRolex Nov 3, 2019

Out of curiosity, why would you pursue one of these over a Mark 4.5? The Mark 4.5 seems superior in every way.

3. johnnylarue Nov 3, 2019

The beautiful simplicity of the original Speedy dial pairs perfectly with this cushion case. It's the epitome functional Space Age class. (Also a bit cheaper/easier to service.)

I love Lemania 5100-powered watches (the other piece I'm considering is a Sinn 142), but the 4.5 dial just doesn't do it for me. Too cluttered, and IMO the busy 5100 dial layout really benefits from colour-coded hands for legibility. The Mark II dial really pops in black and white, whereas the Mark 4.5 feels drab in comparison.

I *do* like the Mark IV, though! I find just the elimination of the day window and 24-hr subdial makes for a better visual balance.

Lonestar and OmegaRolex like this.
  4. S.H. Nov 3, 2019

Would you mind uploading the pictures? When the ebay listing disappear, this thread will be useless...

felsby, airansun, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  5. johnnylarue Nov 3, 2019

6. johnnylarue Nov 3, 2019

Thanks for this reminder/suggestion. I was unwittingly about to commit a photobucket-esque crime against the Internet. ;)

7. S.H. Nov 3, 2019

Well, the caseback is ... polished. :D

ewand, Mac5, Lonestar and 6 others like this.
  8. johnnylarue Nov 3, 2019

Presumably if your face looks like a Hippocampus, you will see one faintly when looking at this caseback straight on!

DeepBlue, Lonestar, lando and 7 others like this.
  9. Claven2 Nov 3, 2019

The case back ruins that watch. It would need to go to bienne for a replacement. Sad.

10. johnnylarue Nov 3, 2019

I agree--the person who felt they were improving that caseback definitely has worse OCD than I do. ;)

11. cvrle1 Nov 3, 2019

No, No, that is the ultra rare, invisible hippo caseback :p

S.H. and johnnylarue like this.
  12. Nathan1967 Nov 3, 2019

A delrin brake on a Speedmaster Mk2 movement? Surely that doesn’t match the real age of the Watch?
    Seems like more than a possibility that the movement has been replaced. Likely from a mid 80s Speedmaster Pro.
    So I think this Watch is likely a parts bin special, Frankenstein special. What’s it worth? To me, nothing, that Watch is more trouble than it’s worth.

Edited Nov 3, 2019
  13. johnnylarue Nov 3, 2019

Good catch on the plastic brake. My eyes are great at spotting missing "gold parts" and mangled screws in these movements, but still tend to gloss over stuff like that.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  14. simonsays Nov 3, 2019

Very observant Nathan, but I know the later Flightmasters 911 had Delrin brakes, so I wouldn't rule it out on this alone. I am not sure when they stoped production on the Mk II? This 37 mil movement would put it around 1975 I think?

Also I don't know exactly when the Delrin brake came into use either, but I guess around 74/75?

I don't like that case though, so its a no from me.

johnnylarue likes this.
  15. Claven2 Nov 4, 2019

Isn't the deleon brake a replaceable part? Could it not be a service replacement part?

Honest question, not sure if the delrin piece is backwards compatible or not.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 4, 2019

Yes, could be, but I've never had to replace a steel 2-piece brake. These aren't exactly wear parts...they really never need replacing unless it's something like rust...

dan7800 and johnnylarue like this.
  17. johnnylarue Nov 4, 2019

I'm going to take this topic on a minor, self-indulgent detour--bear with me. ::yawn::

I've been actively shopping for a "good" Mark II for several months, as well as keeping an eye on them more passively for the past 3+ years. I know these are still considered a relative bargain/undervalued relative to the rest of the Speedmaster line, but I'm beginning to suspect the reason for this is simply because so few nice examples even exist! In other words, they're "cheap" because nearly every Mark II on the market these days is plagued by one or more of: lume rot, unscrupulously destructive polishing, conspicuous "correct" refinishing + Frankensteining, etc. Without exaggeration, I've probably scrutinized 50-100 of these over the last few years and possibly two watches out of the lot were genuinely nice examples with original good dials and hands, and unpolished cases with honest wear and priced to sell (as opposed to those ubiquitous "Hey Internet--look what I have! Want it? Gimme $5000" Buy It Now listings.)

Given the number of these produced and sold, I'm at a loss to explain how it can be that so few of them have survived intact, and am beginning to wonder whether pursuing one is even worth the effort at this point. I feel like I really missed the boat on this one.

End of rant.

septentrio likes this.
  18. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Nov 4, 2019

I don't think they're that hard to come by good ones, keep worth the search, don't get disheartened and you'll get yourself a nice one at a good price.

Over polished cases is the killer with these and yes very common, but when I was looking at least(think I finally purchased mine a great or two ago) there did seem plenty unmolested examples around.

johnnylarue and Nathan1967 like this.
  19. ConElPueblo Nov 4, 2019

A ridiculous amount of the watches in this thread are Mark IIs: https://omegaforums.net/threads/overpolished-pos-can-you-top-speedmasterfan88s-find.41194/

Nathan1967 and johnnylarue like this.
  20. Nathan1967 Nov 4, 2019

Funnily enough I bought one at the weekend on the back of an OF WTB ad. Perfect racing dial, solid case, service History. I do find that photos often don’t do these Watches justice though - worth seeing them in the metal if you can I think.

ewand likes this.