Forums Latest Members
  1. MTROIS Jan 22, 2017

Fellows, here is my new (to me) 145.013!!

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

Overall, the watch is in great shape but has a couple of items that make me pause to decide whether I will send it in for a service:

- the gasket between the case and the case back is new but there is a small gap between the two. In other terms, the case back is not making full contact with the case.

- also, at the 5 min location, there is a "stain" on the bezel from what seems some kind of oil.

- the watches is about +16s/day, so it could use a service (movement looks new so it has never been serviced) but I don't care for precision.

- and overall, the o-ring below the crystal could surely be replaced.

On the other hand, i am worried that servicing the watch will lead to losing the original pushers and I am also wondering if the hands will have to be removed, thus removing the original orange paint where they make contact with the axis.

Any thoughts? Any advice? Also for a place that could perform this TLC work??

Thank you!!

Samir, dcj, thegrailwatch and 6 others like this.
  2. ATWG Jan 22, 2017

This is a very fine example. I would venture a guess that the case is unpolished as I still see some remnant of the original purple factory film on the edges close to the pushers. I would get the watch serviced and not change any of the pushers or original hardware. Taking out the pushers won't damage the paint, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as it's handled by a qualified watchmaker. The gaskets should most defiantly be replaced as they will turn into goo if not addressed.

Here is my NOS 911 with it's original factory film....

IMG_3868.JPG
    dcj, propervinyl, Etp095 and 5 others like this.
  3. LeCorb Mar 2, 2017

Hi,

although collecting vintage (Omega) watches for quite a while, today is my first day as member omegaforums.
    Great to have this Flightmaster thread here!
    The 145.026 is one of my favorite watches in my collection

FM911_2.jpg

What I realized recently is that for the 911 at least two different dial variants were used.

FM911_dials.jpg
    This one has the angular shaped "3" in the hour register (like the 910) and small scale numbers in the second register on the left.
    In contradiction the second dial variant has a round "3" and a bigger sized font in the second register and can be found quite often in the internet.
    Unfortunately although checking various flightmaster forums I couldn't find any explanation so far.
    So facts or assumptions highly appreciated!

dcj, tikkathree, Flatfoot and 2 others like this.
  4. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Mar 2, 2017

Hi it's a transition dial, everything will be explained in the future Flightmaster Only

5. LeCorb Mar 2, 2017

Sounds great, thanks a lot for that info

6. MTROIS Mar 2, 2017

Welcome to Omega Forum!!

LeCorb likes this.
  7. jaguar11 Mar 2, 2017

Finally arrived back!!!!!!!!! Call from STS yesterday saying she was on her way home. Just the news I needed as I have been unwell for the past week or so. Even the Duke is sitting there on her own devoid of all cambelts.... Anyway, I need some thoughts as I am not quite happy with the finish on the case. I have tried to show in my pictures but the grinding marks on the lugs sweep to the right rather than being at a right angle to the top of the case where the crystal seats. From what I have observed this is incorrect. I can't compare from what she was like previously as the finish had polished to a shine but I have been looking at other pictures here and like I say for £640 I am not quite happy... Perhaps in my current state I am being a little too pedantic and this is normal given what I am sure is the technical difficulties of refinishing the cases on these watches!

My other less serious gripe is that the case back has not been refinished as part of the service. I can live with this and can only assume STS do not refinish case backs. My last experience of a service with STS was for my straight lug speedy when I specifically requested no case refinishing to be carried out. The case back on my flighty has scratches on it around the side from a previous half arse numb skull attempt to remove it (not guilty BTW). Can anyone enlighten me as to whether my assumption is correct? It just seems strange not to refinish the case back.

Thoughts on the above would be most appreciated before I wade in and feeling the way I do right now I am a little short of patience... The pictures are not the best but the most I could achieve in my rush to get back to bed!

1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG
  8. JrMartins Mar 2, 2017

What's Flightmaster Only? Thanks

9. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Mar 2, 2017

The cousin of Moonwatch Only

10. ATWG Mar 2, 2017

Hi - having own/ed my fair share of 910/1's, I wouldn't be happy with that case refinish either, that would really bother me quite bit. It doesn't look any where near the factory finish.

I'm sorry if I'm being blunt.

Best.

Edited Mar 2, 2017
    tikkathree and jaguar11 like this.
  11. JrMartins Mar 3, 2017

First of all, hope you get well soon! I'd get in touch with STS by phone and ask to speak with Simon Freese and express your dissatisfaction with him, I would think they will make it right.

Samir and jaguar11 like this.
  12. MTROIS Mar 3, 2017

IMO, what you describe is very very faint and would personally not bother me. It would bother me much more to send it back to the grinder and not have it for several more weeks but that is just me.
    Let us know what you decide... but get well first.
    Cheers!

Samir likes this.
  13. jaguar11 Mar 5, 2017

Spoke to Simon and he has asked me to return the watch for remedial action. Very pleasant chap indeed! Thank you for your response. Best wishes.

Samir, BrianMcKay and Etp095 like this.
  14. jaguar11 Mar 5, 2017

Thank you for you response. I have been asked to return the watch so hopeful the matter will be resolved. Best wishes.

Etp095 likes this.
  15. ATWG Mar 5, 2017

Good luck to you, please keep us posted.

16. jaguar11 Mar 5, 2017

I did discuss with Simon as a poster advised and he seem to think they can do better. It is not right and I am hoping I will be happy when it reruns. Thank you for your response and best wishes.

MTROIS likes this.
  17. JrMartins Mar 29, 2017

Any update on your Flightmaster?

18. jaguar11 Mar 29, 2017

Arrived back in my hands yesterday and she is looking so VERY much better!!!! I am going to get some pictures up at weekend showing her with the rest of the gang. Thanks for asking. Best wishes.

tikkathree and Etp095 like this.
  19. JrMartins Mar 30, 2017

That's great news!! looking forward to the pics.

Etp095 likes this.
  20. jaguar11 Apr 2, 2017

Here she is! I do apolgise about the quality of the pictures...

Edited Feb 9, 2021
    dcj, tikkathree, inchpincher and 3 others like this.