The Flightmaster thread

Buy the book

I don't think that's a requirement. Many of us have bought flightmasters long before the book existed.

any advice for first time buyer

Decide which model you would like, decide what your budget is, look at lots of examples, buy the best you can afford in the condition that you are happiest with.

I would also suggest trying all three versions on, as they all wear differently and they aren't all for everyone.

Good luck.

I have a nice one. The things that were important to me, apart from general functioning etc was the case still having the sunburst brushed finish (many have been polished and have lost the right look). Secondly, and this is hard, the pushers should have the original colored enamel on their tops. They can be re-enameled I expect but originality is important, even if they are a little distressed, equivalent to patina on the dial. Most of the dials have beautiful chocolate brown finish now, sometimes a little spotty. Also decide if you want the yellow or orange chrono hands. Lastly, decide if you prefer the original variant with the night/day sub dial or running seconds at 9 o’clock . Good luck, let us know how it works out. (The book is a great guide but pricey).

I don't think that's a requirement. Many of us have bought flightmasters long before the book existed.

Didn't say it was a requirement, but he asked for advice.
For someone that wants to know about Flightmasters its a no brainer. It might not have existed when you bought yours but it does now and its an amazing resource that is pretty cheap (I got mine for $99USD) that will fully educate you about all the small differences as well as how to pick service parts etc if that is important to you.
Like the Moonwatch Only book, its so useful having all the info you need in one place.

When you find the one you love, keep it!
I'm on my third after foolishly selling two previous examples I had when I was much more into "buy and try" with my watches. Thankfully my father bought one and handed it off to me a few years ago, it's a keeper now.

Didn't say it was a requirement, but he asked for advice.
For someone that wants to know about Flightmasters its a no brainer. It might not have existed when you bought yours but it does now and its an amazing resource that is pretty cheap (I got mine for $99USD) that will fully educate you about all the small differences as well as how to pick service parts etc if that is important to you.
Like the Moonwatch Only book, its so useful having all the info you need in one place.

flightmaster. Not Flightmaster.

Owning that book is clearly paying off.😉

I’m messing - and you’re right, the book is a helpful resource.

If I purchase an average example are they still able to be overhauled by omega. (Dial hands etc) and will I get to keep the vintage dial for value purposes.

No photos in two months!

20230704_094412.jpg

Looks absolutely amazing. I very hope to find such a piece in the future, too.

Is a 'Baby' flightmaster allowed?

I mean, allowed is a difficult word... appropriate in this context/on this thread might be a better turn of phrase. 👍

On the forum and in the world in general? Yes of course! 👍

On a thread about flightmasters when it is not a flightmaster? Not so much. 👎

A thread about a specific thing tends to lose value if we start including other things that share elements of it, but are not said thing. 😕

First post here.

My current watch collection is a Rolex Explorer and a JLC Reverso Grande Date. Both took me years to buy as I enjoy taking a lot of time to reflect on what I want in watches - brand, type, model, etc. - and am particularly interested in watches with a history to it and not necessarily the most obvious / popular models.

For some time I have now been considering adding a chronograph. I was thinking of a Breguet Type XX for a while, recently got excited by the new Rolex Daytona (but don't want more than one watch per brand in my collection) and have started to really warm up to the Omega flightmaster more recently incl. by looking through this thread. Really like the design, how technology advanced it was, the 1970's vibe, etc. and that it's not too popular.

I will buy the Flightmaster Only book for Xmas so I can assess which specific type I'd like to acquire and will then start to hunt to get mine. I am curious, aside from Chrono24 / ebay / dealers, are there any specific places to look for a high quality flightmaster (i'd like to get one in very good condition, with box/paperwork, all original parts). Thanks

Update, I ended up getting a Rolex Daytona after seeing that Rolex was about to introduce a new design. So now I have an Explorer 1, Daytona black dial and JLC Grande Date.

Still want to get a flightmaster 145.013 in great condition (and with yellow hands) as my 4th watch and then (over time) probably a Vacheron as my pure dress watch. If I really warm up to the 145.013, i could imagine also starting a hunt for a gold flightmaster (with leather strap). That'll undoubtedly require patience and keeping a close eye on auctions. Dreaming far in advance and the hunt itself are a large part of the fun of collecting (not just watches) for me.

Will be paying close attention on this forum as I struggle with Chrono24/eBay/etc.

Do have a question, anybody have an idea why so many of the flightmasters for sale on Chrono24 are located in Japan?
Edited:

For people of means and/or with positions of importance, anything was obtainable in the USSR, even in the darkest days of the Soviet regime. I remember seeing electronic calculators from makers such as Texas Instruments and Casio, on display for purchase at a department store in East Berlin in 1981. When I did the currency conversions in my head I realized the calculators were selling for 10x what they sold for just a few blocks away on the other side of The Wall. I was so fascinated that I began to snap photos of the calculator display case, only to see what looked like store security personnel hustling toward me. I ducked out of the store in a flash, probably avoiding having my camera confiscated and maybe even avoiding a trip to jail. Nevertheless, I still ended up being detained later that night by the East German Secret Police...but that's another story.
Not much has changed. I was travelling in North Korea several years ago and there as well the elite has their benefits (e.g. Mercedes). Same in Yemen, Iran, etc. - different models, but similar outcome.

Hi guys
I spotted this watch with a black centre on the seconds hand as opposed to the usual all white. Is this a later replacement or a watch repairer looking to mimic the style of the hour and minute hands?

Regards
Chris
IMG_8942.jpeg

Hi guys
I spotted this watch with a black centre on the seconds hand as opposed to the usual all white. Is this a later replacement or a watch repairer looking to mimic the style of the hour and minute hands?

Regards
Chris
IMG_8942.jpeg
I observed a couple which spotted on ebay in the past years. In my opinion it may be original.

I observed a couple which spotted on ebay in the past years. In my opinion it may be original.

Thanks for the reply. Just found this one as well.

IMG_8944.jpeg

Hi guys

Regards
Chris
IMG_8942.jpeg
I’ve looked it up in “Flightmaster Only” from Rossier and Marquié.

I can’t find a second hand with black center in the book: neither in all the models, or in the section about dial and hand. This configuration is also not mentioned in transition/replace part.

I could have missed it in the book, or the book isn’t stating it.

There are a couple a pictures where the eitje of the second hand in the center is more damaged compared. Maybe “creative” watchmakers solved this problem bij making the center black? Just a random idea.

3AA2782E-2044-416B-9A46-DA2B0849C30F.jpeg