Forums Latest Members
  1. BlackTulip Sep 23, 2019

I know it's been beaten to death, but 200 just seems like an arbitrarily high number - especially for members that aren't chatterboxes. I love Omega watches and originally joined so I could post a WTB, I'm looking for a rare women's omega model for my wife but at the rate I post she'll never get it in this lifetime :(.

[​IMG][​IMG]

timecube likes this.
  2. gostang9 Sep 23, 2019

Why not start a new thread, highlight the model you’re interested, list details you’ve researched, share pictures you’ve found, explain why you want it, who you want it for, how you’ve tried finding one so far, then ask members for advice how to find one?

This could bring value to the forum, could bring ideas forward, and just might result in a good lead on where to find one?

The 200 post rule precludes you from posing a WTB or FS ad in the related sub-forum, but it doesn’t stop you from starting a meaningful thread and getting feedback.

Edited Sep 23, 2019
  3. BlackTulip Sep 23, 2019

Whenever someone does that they always get outed for trying to get around the 200 post limit

timecube and Bizcut1 like this.
  4. gostang9 Sep 23, 2019

No, if you create a genuine thread and discuss all of the details about the watch, why it’s important to you, how you’ve tried to find it, and simply ask others for ideas, it won’t be a WTB thread and should be okay. When people simply open a thread as a thinly disguised WTB without any added value, that’s what gets called out.

WatchCor, NGO1, KingCrouchy and 6 others like this.
  5. gostang9 Sep 23, 2019

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 23, 2019

Nor does it stop you from contacting a member by private mail ("PM") if you see a watch for sale in which you are interested.
    gatorcpa

7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 23, 2019

A higher post count can be legitimately achieved by making some posts that take on some of the heavy lifting that the core members usually do: correcting new members on how to make their crappy first post better, advising them to include photos, or to include a mvmt shot, ref # etc. This type of posting / guidance are things that I have seen the pros needing to make 1000 times. This, I believe, adds value to the forum and helps the members to get to know you. This makes sense to me at least...

timecube and JwRosenthal like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 23, 2019

You'll never get anywhere without an Avatar, start there!

BlackTulip, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. BlackTulip Sep 23, 2019

Lol how can it be a genuine thread when in the end all I really want IS a WTB thread. How about a "HMF" help me find thread instead ?

;-)

I'm only half joking. My wife isn't into watches but one day she saw a picture of a black tulip and went nuts over it. I've been searching online for months and can't find anything. I did find one but it was in terrible shape...

10. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

watchdaddy1 likes this.
  11. BlackTulip Sep 23, 2019

12. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

Start a new thread as suggested and find out if anyone owns these, what they think of them, if anyone has seen on out for sale...etc. that’s a very honest thread

BlackTulip likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

This also reminds me of the TV Seamaster’s from the early 70’s. If she likes the form factor and can’t find a Tulip, perhaps the Seamaster would be to her taste.

7542636D-5665-4CDE-BF39-2CBEA2DB9716.jpeg

BlackTulip likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

I think he was indeed half joking- black tulip has been active in several threads.

I think we all come here with an agenda initially, some to learn, some to buy something specific, some to sell- but when it works out as intended, we stick around and become part of the community and enjoy the friendships and education.

NGO1, LeighC, Sidnos and 3 others like this.
  15. BlackTulip Sep 23, 2019

I love those 70's Seamasters but she has her heart set on a Black Tulip.

16. BlackTulip Sep 23, 2019

As an enthusiast I only comment when I actually have something interesting to contribute. I originally joined OF after not finding anything on eBay or chrono24 - I figured maybe someone on here might have one or know someone who has one that might be interested in selling it. Now that I'm here I contribute when I can but I don't post for the sake of posting so It's going to take years before I get to 200.

As to the limit working, even if I had nothing to contribute a WTB is mutually beneficial. I think the rule is more of a way of establishing credibility and limiting scams, but there should be a better way.

17. Bizcut1 Sep 23, 2019

I think the 200 post minimum is arbitrary and capricious.

And I should get some credit for using the word capricious, too.

18. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

I think the 200 threshold is excellent. It doesn’t just keep away the day traders, but it forces one to get involved in the community. I’m sure if you were to poll the collective on how many people honestly just came here to post a WTB or WTS originally and have ended up becoming part of the community- it would be a fairly large number.
    And yes, your use of capricious is laudable.

OmegaP99, Canuck and DaveK like this.
  19. larryganz The cable guy Sep 23, 2019

I joined the arsTechnica forum to comment about an eBike article - new users can only post once a day until they have ten posts. Then i guess it’s okay to spam their forum...

20. rob#1 Sep 23, 2019

Love this - that’s my Seamaster :)