The 7077 Bracelet Explained.

Adding a bit to this very informative thread, I believe the changeover to the engraved 7912 occurred in the 3rd quarter of 1961. Below is a pic of both the blank 3-61 (call it a late 7077, pre 7912 or watch ever suits you:)) and the engraved 3-61 reference 7912. Notice also that these 3-61 have different types of spring links.
D9B63DBD-A90F-4E1D-ABBD-6E8B463451A6.jpeg

Like 8
I almost thought that was a geometer!

great thread, thanks to all who have contributed.

Like 1
When did the solid links transformed into the later folded fixed links (the difference you can easily see from the side)?
Did the solid links only came on the 7077 bracelet or did the early 7912/1506 bracelets also have solid links (not folded sides)?

A 2/ 63 and a 1/64 7912...
bbbbracelet6a-jpg.416354

Note that these spring links are non "Quick remove" links and require tools to speard open the links in order to remove them and adjust the length of the bracelet (i.e. pain in the ass).

Many thanks for the write-up @ndgal. Do you refer to any specific tools for this exercise? I brought mine to my regular independent WM who I painfully observed for 5 mins or so how he tried to pry open the links with different sizes of screwdrivers (in vain) before I asked him to stop.

We all know Omega's first generation spring bracelet which was used since 1957 on the early Seamaster 300, Railmaster, & Speedmaster references.
In this post I will try to cover some additional info that is not found in the "Moonwatch Only" book.

There are four types of 7077 bracelet.

Type A (Short buckle/Double spring links):

This first-generation 7077 bracelet has 5 spring links. Two on the front side of the buckle, and tree on the back end of the buckle.
Each side of the bracelet has eight solid links.

First-generation "Short buckle"

*Even though I have seen a couple of 2915-1 Speedmasters that had the earlier split short buckle (bottom). I have yet to see a true 100% "Barn find" 2915-1 on that bracelet, so I cannot say with absolute confidence that these were not fitted to these watches at a later point.

The very early ones (1957/58) were not dated. The buckle dates began in the last part of 1958. (4th quarter).
The Type A 7077 bracelet can be observed until the 4th quarter of 1960 (CK2998-2).

Type B (Short buckle/Non quick remove single spring links):

In the first quarter of 1961 we can observe the first change to the 7077 bracelet.
The double spring links are now gone and replaced by single spring links. Four on the front side of the buckle, and six on the back end of the buckle.

Note that these spring links are non "Quick remove" links and require tools to speard open the links in order to remove them and adjust the length of the bracelet (i.e. pain in the ass).

The short buckle still remains on this 2nd generation of the 7077 bracelet.

Type C (Long buckle/Non quick remove single spring links):

During the same first quarter of 1961, yet another change is observed.
The buckle top is now long.

The "Non quick" single spring links remain.

Type D (Long buckle/Quick remove single spring links):

During the second quarter of 1961, yet another step in the evolution of the 7077 bracelet.
The "Non-quick remove" single spring links are replaced with the removable spring links which lasted all the way until the end of the flat link bracelet era (1039/1035) in the mid 70's.

I hope this post is found helpful to any OF members who might have not been familiar with all of the nuances and steps in the evolution of the 7077 bracelet, and if there is something I missed or got wrong, feel free to add or correct.

And here's just a cool picture to sign off this post

I am astonished by the beauty of those watches

My other 18kt 7077's are dated 4 57 and 2 60 respectively. I'm curious if anybody has earlier?
I have 1 that is dated 2 51 and also has a 4 stamped on each part of the bracelet that connects to the face.My great Grandfather was gifted it in the 1950s in Nigeria.

I have 1 that is dated 2 51 and also has a 4 stamped on each part of the bracelet that connects to the face.My great Grandfather was gifted it in the 1950s in Nigeria.

The date is most likely 61. This steel bracelet was introduced in 1957..

Like 1

I think that's more likely 2 61

Like 1
Very educational and informative thread. I enjoyed learning as I read through it. Thank you to all who posted and the OP for starting it.