Forums Latest Members
  1. BLOW UP Jul 18, 2023

No, I think tiebreaks are the best way to decide a set, although I do kind of miss the notion that a tiebreak in the fifth could go to 70-68 à la Mahut vs Isner:D

In terms of long three-set matches; it's more about the limited amount of opportunities to come back that I find so problematic; I absolutely love a fight back.

In terms of short attention span, we see a number of supposedly lengthy sports trying to cater to this; for example, in Formula 1 we now have sprint races at a number of circuits, its usually around a quarter to a third distance (time), funnily enough, I don't mind this so much as it doesn't impinge on the race distance of the Grand Prix itself, although what I find most interesting is that the sprint race can often impacts the Grand Prix in terms of strategies and the like; then there's Twenty20 cricket which is a significantly shortened game of cricket, that was apparently introduced in order to 'create a fast-paced game that would be attractive to spectators at the ground and viewers on television'

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2023

I don't think this applies to tennis really. It's more about scheduling than people's attention span.

But I'm sure we can agree to disagree on this...

3. BLOW UP Jul 18, 2023

Sure, but maybe you're right, maybe it's not so applicable to tennis..
    What do you think about tie breaks, also the changes that were made (at Wimbledon) after 2010?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2023

I have no problem with these changes. I’m not advocating for 3 sets across the board, but just being realistic on the prospect of the women moving to 5 sets...I don’t believe for a minute that is ever happening.

Keep in mind that Davis Cup used to be 5 set matches for men, and yes I’ve sat through 3 long days on a crappy seat for a Davis Cup tie with 5 set matches. It takes some dedication for that, trust me. But now it’s all 3 set matches, and I’m okay with that.

Here’s a photo I took back in 2019 when we finally made it back to our hotel in Melbourne...

FB81D668-CCCC-44CC-8FB5-3CA844F48581.jpeg

We were a 10 minute walk from Melbourne park, and it was after 1 am when we got back to the hotel. We left right after the last match ended on Rod Laver. Now keep in mind that once the players finish, they are mandated to be in the press room to do their conference within 30 minutes I think. Once that is over, they now have ice baths, physio, massage, etc. as part of the recovery process. They might not get out of there for 3+ hours after their match ends. This is the thing the casual fan might not be aware of. Do we want players leaving after the sun rises the next day?

I’ve seen late finishes in events with only 3 sets have a major impact on the match the next day...one arguably costing a player the match in the final last year. Making players so tired that they can’t perform isn’t a recipe for good tennis...

BLOW UP likes this.
  5. BLOW UP Jul 21, 2023

I agree, I don't believe it's happening either but I still hope for five-set parity in the singles.

Yes, games can potentially go on for much longer, but then five sets for men at Wimbledon for example, that has an 11 PM curfew (I think that's a good idea) has never really been too much of an issue in terms of exhausting players so much that they can't perform.

Limiting the final set to a 10-point tie-break is pretty helpful in that respect, although I do have some very fond memories of seemingly endless final sets.

As an aside, that vintage Seamaster 300 looks potentially very bright and lively.. Has it been completely restored?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 22, 2023

Grass is very different from other surfaces with regards to length of points, and I doubt NYC is going in for any curfews...the world is bigger than Wimbledon...

Watchco...

7. BLOW UP Jul 22, 2023

Yep, the world is certainly a lot bigger than Wimbledon..:D
    It just happens to be my absolute favorite tournament for so many reasons, but definitely not because it's local.

Watchco... Nice! :thumbsup:
    I'd really like one of these.. because of the restricted parts fiasco, they seem to be fetching quite a premium nowadays..
    Did you buy it directly from them ready assembled?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 22, 2023

Yes, a very long time ago...

BLOW UP likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2023

Well, after Canada won the Davis Cup last year, our women’s team all said it was a great inspiration to them. If the guys can do it, so can they.

Well, they made good on that today...winning the Billie Jean King Cup!

IMG_7446.jpg

World champions in both mean's and women's tennis. Who says our only sport up here is hockey?!

Have to give a shout out to Marnia Stakusic...18 years old, debut playing for Canada at the Billie Jean King cup, and she brought it.

Ranked 258th in the world...

IMG_7445.jpg

And she beat players ranked 65th, 63rd, and 43rd. Her only loss was to the 10th ranked Barbora Krejcikova. That loss was the only one Canada had through the group stage, semis, and final.

Everyone played well. Genie Bouchard played very well in 2 doubles matches. Gabby Dabrowski is always solid in doubles, being one of the best in the world. And of course Leylah Fernandez - went 8 and 0 in BJKC matches in 2023.

And since they were playing Italy in the final, no tensions in the household today! ;)

10. Poppyboy Nov 12, 2023

Just got back into it after several years away. A buddy of mine lives in the neighborhood who played in college, so I love playing with him. Even though we’re both in our early 50s, we try to play competitively. Picked up a Pure Aero, which is working out pretty well.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 13, 2023

This is my coach's court at his house...

[​IMG]

Took this last weekend, but we were also there yesterday for a 2 hour clinic. Only 3 degrees C when we got there, but the sun was out and it was very nice weather. Hopefully we will get another session or two there.

Also last weekend washing the car...

[​IMG]

You know you play a lot when your floor matts look like this...

[​IMG]

Ball fuzz from my shoes!

Cenzo, Duracuir1, apsm100 and 3 others like this.
  12. TimeODanaos Nov 19, 2023

Spoiler alert...

Congratulations for a great performance in Turin today go to

[To be continued after the break]

13. TimeODanaos Nov 19, 2023

I had a wonderful visit to headquarters the other day. Amid all the excitement of Davis Cup, the BJK, and the World Tour Finals, it was fun to see this place in real English weather when it's not all dressed up. It's warmer than Canada, but damp and miserable in a way that makes you not really want to play there!

Even without the TV cameras Fred Perry, the British male hero before Murray, gets a polish.
    Fred Perry.jpg

Whoever you are, just put your feet where we can see 'em, and step away from the grass right now.
    Keep off the Centre Court grass.jpg

One scoreboard is kept this way, as the last reminder of summer.
    The 2023 scoreboard.jpg

The Museum there is genuinely fascinating, and recommended. To conclude, here is an obligatory watch photo I couldn't help taking.
    20231103_173633.jpg

Duracuir1 and DrmexicoII like this.
  14. TimeODanaos Nov 19, 2023

ATP Finals - The Final - Final Spoiler Alert.

I am not a fanboy of this player, or of any of them, but I don't think he deserves all of the heat he gets for his (high-profile) mis-steps (although yes, a lot of it). Just for the tennis, I have to say well done Novak. He was good against Sinner today (apart from a couple of volleys that a clubbo like me would have put away), in a way that reminds you why he is at the top of the game. For a while, his serve accuracy was just uncanny, which seems yet another new tool in the box. And the mental strength was there as always. But yesterday against young Alcaraz (OK, my new post-Roger fave), he was for the key part of the second set just extraterrestrial - as he needed to be - with impossible gets and laser accuracy on groundstrokes. Then I look back to when I was 36 years old, and pushing two kids in a buggy up steep hills was my big achievement. Just astonishing, so congratulations again to Nole.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 19, 2023

Serving was fantastic - Roger like. I was hoping for a different result, but it is what it is...

apsm100 likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 26, 2023

Well, Canada was knocked out of the Davis Cup finals by a red hot Finland team. Felix wasn't healthy enough to play, so although Milos got us off to a great start, Gabe Dialo couldn't pull out the second singles match. In doubles the Finns played their hot player to great effect, and we were out just like that - disappointing.

In the semis yesterday, Jannick Sinner played an incredible singles match against Djokovic. He came from 3 match points down to win that game, then break Novak in the next to win the match and send it to the doubles. Interesting article on the repercussions of the match:

Novak Djokovic has not choked in a decade so will his Davis Cup meltdown leave a lasting scar? (tennis365.com)

If your country doesn't have a good team of dedicate3d doubles players, they often send in singles players to play doubles, which is always interesting. Some do very well, and some do not. Novak played in the doubles, which is understandable, but he's not really a doubles player and that was painfully obvious, as he watched balls go by him that were clearly his responsibility on the court, and they went down in straight sets.

Today Australia and Italy square off in the final. Of course given my wife's birthplace, we will be cheering for the Aussies. But first off to play tennis one more time - it's currently 2 degrees C, so will have the layers on for sure!

TimeODanaos and Spruce like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2024

Big upset at the Australian Open today - well not that big of an upset in my mind. Jannick Sinner beat Novak Djokovic in 4 sets (he actually had a match point in the 3rd set in the tie break). Sinner had won 2 of their last 3 meetings, so it wasn't completely out of the realm of possibility he could win. You could see that Djokovic was tense right from the start - I have a theory...

He's always wanted to get a Grand Slam in the calendar year - came close when Medvedev beat him in New York a few years ago - during that match when it was slipping away, he had a towel over his head at one change over and you could see he was sobbing due to the stress of it all. I think in addition to that goal, he would love nothing more than to get a Golden slam - winning all 4 majors and the Olympics in one year, something only 1 player has ever done - Steffi Graff. Very hard to do considering the Olympics is only every 4 years, and with his age, this was his very last chance at that.

So all of that was riding on this match, up against a player that has recently beaten him, and I think it was all too much...

Zman4eva and 64Wing like this.
  18. Poppyboy Jan 26, 2024

The biggest upset to me is no more Yastremska.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 29, 2024

Sinner wins - great result and big comeback from 2 sets down!

Medvedev loses another GS final after leading by 2 sets to love...that's gotta hurt.

20. TimeODanaos Jan 29, 2024

I still don't understand what happened. DM dominated 2 sets. Then JS dominated 3 sets. What changed? No idea! Pleased for the lad. We'll be seeing this match-up a lot more.