Forums Latest Members
  1. TimeODanaos Sep 11, 2021

Passover likes this.
  2. MRC Sep 11, 2021

Arrrgh! They are at game point, one game from match. Not my my normal Saturday evening entertainment but I'm glued to the radio.

3. MRC Sep 11, 2021

Wow! Match win with an Ace serve. :thumbsup:

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 11, 2021

Disappointed here, but still very glad to see Fernandez come so far. The first serve deserted her today, and it was still competitive. These two will likely be playing in each other in many more finals.

Pip and TimeODanaos like this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 11, 2021

Splendid match, congratulations to Ms Raducanu.

Born in Canada
    Romanian father
    Chinese mother.

Another marvellous victory for Great Britain!

These two play great tennis and hopefully will be a joy to watch for many years to come.

Pip, Archer and TimeODanaos like this.
  6. kev1976t Sep 11, 2021

That final was absolutely amazing,
    Coming from nowhere and to win without dropping a set.

Just wow, and such an inspiration !!

Pip likes this.
  7. gbesq Sep 12, 2021

8. TimeODanaos Sep 12, 2021

Great stuff - with the blue-lit rooftops, I guess it was (so to speak) the "best" night to be up high in Manhattan. Enjoy the matches!(jealous, moi?) Don't forget the wrist shots from Flushing!

sonicosa and Archer like this.
  9. gbesq Sep 12, 2021

The video doesn’t do the view justice. Considering the date and Covid, the city seems very much back to normal, although proof of full full vaccination is required everywhere. Dined outdoors last night and it was very pleasant. It’s great to be here.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  10. JetLinks Sep 12, 2021

When I heard Radacanu made the semi's I was hooked and it was absolutely brilliant to see her come through and win for Great Britain! Really cool to see a Canada-GB final and huge credit to Fernandez for making the final too! She deserves just as much praise, alas there can only be one winner, but as @Archer said, this is just the beginning of their battles.

Picking up a $2.5M winners check is nothing compared to all the endorsement deals she'll receive, so my question is, which sponsors will she go with and what timepiece will she be wearing next year?

TimeODanaos likes this.
  11. gbesq Sep 12, 2021

Here we are! And the obligatory wrist shot.
    A8347116-A032-4906-839C-604695399041.jpeg CBC25ECA-AAC1-4A25-96BC-180A9A610214.jpeg

Pip, YY77, Waltesefalcon and 2 others like this.
  12. TimeODanaos Sep 12, 2021

:D C'mon, Coco!::popcorn:: C'mon, Sam! :D
    Have a great afternoon+evening!

STANDY likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 12, 2021

Congrats to Sam and her partner! Having an Australian wife, there was no question who we were cheering for! :thumbsup:

And I’ll say it...go Novak! Looking to see some history made today.

STANDY likes this.
  14. Omegafanman Sep 13, 2021

Her family moved to England when she was two years old.Raducanu started playing tennis at the age of five...so

Born in Canada
    Romanian father
    Chinese mother.
    Made in Britain :0)

Pip likes this.
  15. TimeODanaos Sep 13, 2021

Yep - the number of recent British pros not born in Britain (Edmund, Norrie, Watson, Robson, Konta) is quite remarkable, and a major strength. Looks like the good old country still has a lot of pulling power for families with international careers. Talking of international ties, it was a really nice touch that the Queen herself name-checked that other rising Commonwealth tennis star Leylah Fernandez in her congratulations message.

Btw I laughed aloud when I heard that young Emma will need a wild card for Indian Wells, because her ranking wasn't high enough! :p She'll probably get one...

Ah well - thanks Flushing for a super USO 2021 (OK, sorry for Novak though). Back to earth now, and repairing the nets, painting the lockers, resolving the 12U court-reservations clash, and making the coffee...

Pip and Archer like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2021

So, Novak felt the pressure - both of the moment and from stellar play by Medvedev. I recall seeing him play in person back in 2018 at the then Roger's Cup in Toronto. No indication at all that he was headed for the heights he has achieved, other than perhaps that he was a very good mover for someone that tall.

17. TimeODanaos Sep 13, 2021

Sorry - my bad :unsure:

Archer likes this.
  18. gbesq Sep 13, 2021

Even the best players can have a bad day. Medvedev simply played a better game than Djokovic. His play was calm, meticulous and very efficient - no wasted effort, very little emotion. It was clear early into the match that the pressure had rattled Djokovic. He became increasingly frustrated with his own play and that didn't help matters. His first serve percentage was dreadful and there were a number of times that I noticed that he wasn't making as much of an effort to chase down and return volleys as I would have expected given his past performance. The more points he lost, the worse it became. I was hoping for a better match given that I was there in person, but still glad that I attended.

Edited Sep 13, 2021
    Pip, TimeODanaos and Archer like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2021

Novak looked very tentative at times, which is unlike him. I've seen him fall behind so many times and come back from it*, but this felt different, even in the first set. They say that when the tension mounts, the first thing to go is the movement, and that appeared to be what was happening there. He was missing what were essentially just rally balls at times, and the shots he was hitting didn't appear to have clear purpose a lot of the time. If the strategy was to out last Medvedev in rallies, it was a poor one.

But all credit goes to Medvedev, who was solid as a rock, except for the last part of the third set when he was serving for it at 5-3. I do wish the crowds in NY were a little more respectful of the players - it seems to be the worst event on tour for the yahoos yelling out at the wrong time. ::facepalm2::

In the end I was happy to see either win, but would have preferred to see the calendar slam completed.

What I'm curious about now, is how Novak will fare going forward. He's a great champion so I have confidence he will recover, but there is a small part of me that wonders if this will hurt enough to throw him off, at least for a while. He was very invested in this win.

You see people lose and react very differently to it. For example Fernandez was pretty clear that her loss in the final hurt, was fuel to get better and be back there as soon as she could. Novak seemed defeated, and the emotions were pretty raw.

Glad you enjoyed seeing it in person!

Cheers, Al

* - my wife and I have sometimes jokingly speculated that once Novak retires, he will tell people that he let sets go early in matches just to make it challenging for himself...:)

Pip likes this.
  20. gbesq Sep 13, 2021

I don’t care much for Djokovic’s attitude/ego, but he may very well be the best men’s tennis player ever. I agree with your sentiment about the NY crowd. It’s expected at a baseball or football game, but it was out of place at the US Open. As an American, I wish that a few of my fellow citizens had shown a little more class.

Edited Sep 13, 2021