Temperature Slowing Mechanism?

Hello dear omega family, I’ve been following this forum as a guest for couple of months to catch some information related automatic watches and our lovely brand, but stucked in a point and need advice from experienced watch lovers as you.

I bought my brand new Seamaster Aqua Terra in November 2017. Since January 2024, it started to loosing 1 minute / day. I’m wearing it almost all day from 09 am to 23 pm, doing exercise while wearing etc. As the information I tried to catch here, I assume I need to have service for my watch (oil change etc). Now I have a questions?

1- Is it normal for a brand new Omega watch to loose 30 minutes in a month, just 6 years after purchasing?

And also while I try to understand why this happened, I think maybe temperature effects:

2- I’m doing snowboard in the winter so I go to mountains and sometimes the outside temperature is -5 or -10 degrees.

Also In the summer it lays in my backpack under the sun by poolside. Temperature is around 35 degrees but you know, when you touch objects under the sun, they are warmer than the outside temperature.

So can these high / low temperatures effect oil or stg extra to make my watch slow? If so, after my watch have service, should I leave it in the room when going sun bedding or snowboarding?

Thanks in advance for all your valuable comments!

Did you already check whether it's magnitized?

Pretty sure Omega watches are tested for extreme temperatures. Not saying there aren’t limits to that, but I doubt temperature (alone) is related to your problem. Also, I think magnetism would normally cause the watch to speed up, no?—and these watches are highly antimagnetic.

Just sounds like it’s due for a routine service. This stuff happens!

Like 1
Just sounds like it’s due for a routine service. This stuff happens!

Yep...

Like 1
Hello dear omega family, I’ve been following this forum as a guest for couple of months to catch some information related automatic watches and our lovely brand, but stucked in a point and need advice from experienced watch lovers as you.

I bought my brand new Seamaster Aqua Terra in November 2017. Since January 2024, it started to loosing 1 minute / day. I’m wearing it almost all day from 09 am to 23 pm, doing exercise while wearing etc. As the information I tried to catch here, I assume I need to have service for my watch (oil change etc). Now I have a questions?

1- Is it normal for a brand new Omega watch to loose 30 minutes in a month, just 6 years after purchasing?

And also while I try to understand why this happened, I think maybe temperature effects:

2- I’m doing snowboard in the winter so I go to mountains and sometimes the outside temperature is -5 or -10 degrees.

Also In the summer it lays in my backpack under the sun by poolside. Temperature is around 35 degrees but you know, when you touch objects under the sun, they are warmer than the outside temperature.

So can these high / low temperatures effect oil or stg extra to make my watch slow? If so, after my watch have service, should I leave it in the room when going sun bedding or snowboarding?

Thanks in advance for all your valuable comments!

It’s not “brand new” after 6 years and non-stop wearing. Time for a service.

Like saying your car is brand new with 100,000 miles on it and wondering why you need to replace the brakes or struts.

Like 2
It's all just speculation. Apparently the watch needs to be serviced.

Even when engaging in outdoor winter activities the watch is on your wrist under a jacket so still stays pretty warm. Temperature can affect the mechanism but it sounds like you’re just due for a service.

As Al has simply put it.
Yes it does need a service.

Consider this.
At the time of manufacture, Omega were recommending something in the order of 7-8 years service interval and i think that still stands for the current crop of Co-axial movements.
That guideline is laid down for what is to be expected for regular usage wear and tear.
It may be a shorter timeframe or it may be a longer period.
Besides, it seems like you enjoy wearing the watch by your account of the extent of your regular activities. So i would reasonably expect the typical service interval in your situation to be under the recommended 7-8 years.

Has it steadily declined in timekeeping?
Has it changed suddenly?
Or have you only noticed fairly recently?
Edited:

By the way my watch showed the same, but after 9/10 years and I didn't wear like you from 9 to 23 everyday (didn't wear it for some time). Exactly 1 minute per day. Power reserve was ok, it was not magnetised. It was just 1 minute per day. Funny, it was better in terms of accuracy when you leave it in one position, but when you wear it was plus 1 minute.
Maybe that's how it should be...
I think, it's time for service. it's a pity because I know people who don't service their Omegas' for 10 years +, and some of us are not lucky enough

Thanks for your really valuable comments. I'm going to OB in Istanbul today to have service.
So I understand if I was wearing it when just going out, for 6-7 hours max in a day, service interval would have been longer. But then mechanism still working even keeping my watch over table or on an automatic stand.

Then, Maybe waiting for completely out of power for a few days would be better? Because I'm willing to have a speedmaster model and, wearing it like a week, then my current one for a week. In the meanwhile, should I keep it on an automatic movement stand, or waiting for recharging?

By the way, for giving an idea to other users, here is the story as I remember:
- Untill covid19 pandemic, I was wearing it just when going out and my watch was working proper at first
- After 2 years -1 minutes / 2 months
- With the pandemic staying home times I didn't wear it for a week and it stopped as normal. So I thought it was bad for staying still for a watch. And started to wear it when I woke up until going to sleep. So came to this position: needed service after 6 years...

Thanks for your really valuable comments. I'm going to OB in Istanbul today to have service.
So I understand if I was wearing it when just going out, for 6-7 hours max in a day, service interval would have been longer. But then mechanism still working even keeping my watch over table or on an automatic stand.

Then, Maybe waiting for completely out of power for a few days would be better? Because I'm willing to have a speedmaster model and, wearing it like a week, then my current one for a week. In the meanwhile, should I keep it on an automatic movement stand, or waiting for recharging?

By the way, for giving an idea to other users, here is the story as I remember:
- Untill covid19 pandemic, I was wearing it just when going out and my watch was working proper at first
- After 2 years -1 minutes / 2 months
- With the pandemic staying home times I didn't wear it for a week and it stopped as normal. So I thought it was bad for staying still for a watch. And started to wear it when I woke up until going to sleep. So came to this position: needed service after 6 years...

Actually, you can extend the service interval by letting the watch rest occasionally. Having it run non stop adds to wear of the mechanism and is why the recommended interval is 5-6 years. Letting it rest does nothing to degrade the components. A lot of people are under the false impression that you have to keep the gears moving so “the oil is spread out” like in a car engine, but that’s not how it works.

Actually, you can extend the service interval by letting the watch rest occasionally. Having it run non stop adds to wear of the mechanism and is why the recommended interval is 5-6 years.
How much do you think it can be extended with when resting it occasionally, would you say twice as long if OP wears it 2 days a week and lets the watch run down?

How much do you think it can be extended with when resting it occasionally, would you say twice as long if OP wears it 2 days a week and lets the watch run down?

There will be a point in time where the oils just dry up whether the watch is running or not. So you can't wear the watch 25% of the time and expect it to go 4X longer...

Once you get past a certain time frame, it's more about the time than the amount worn - 8-10 years is sort of the max. before damage is being done to parts.

Like 4
There will be a point in time where the oils just dry up whether the watch is running or not. So you can't wear the watch 25% of the time and expect it to go 4X longer...

Once you get past a certain time frame, it's more about the time than the amount worn - 8-10 years is sort of the max. before damage is being done to parts.
Tnx, going to bookmark this as some people's reasoning of usefulness of watchwinders/resting to extend the service interval will have its limits.

I think this idea of “resting” a modern watch to extend the service interval is a bit ridiculous. Wear the watch whenever you want and enjoy it. Service when needed. Don’t overthink it. You got a bit unlucky that the watch started acting up so soon, many will run longer without issues, but it’s about due for a service anyway. Two general strategies are to service on schedule with an independent or run the watch into the ground and service with Omega who will replace worn parts included in their expensive flat rate fee. At this point, since the watch is running poorly, you need a service regardless.