Forums Latest Members

SOLD Sweet Vintage Alpina – Nice Radium Dial and Taubert/Borgel case

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 11, 2020

OHPF!

As savvy collectors know, Alpina has long been under the radar in the vintage collectors' world, and widely undervalued as a result. Here I offer a fine example of a mid-century Alpina (i.e. '40s/50s), which illustrates well the company's strengths during that period. The first of the images is a vintage advert that identifies four characteristics that the company highlighted for marketing purposes.

The dial is an attractive Arabic, some might say military style. What I believe to be the original radium is fully intact, and has, along with the dial surface, developed a very nice patina. It reacts as expected to both UV light and a detector, but does not retain a glow. The red enamel tipped second-hand provides good contrast, and is useful (i.e. easier to focus on quickly) as a result.

The screw-back steel case is in excellent condition, and is an homage to my avatar. :D Or, put another way, it is an "FB" case, which used to be esoteric, but are now the frequent subject of auction searches by knowledgable collectors. The reason for that is simple: they are high-class cases (even mentioned in the advert!), and were used by a number of companies, including Patek Philippe. Technically they are Taubert cases, though they are often described as "Borgel". The short version of the interesting story behind the confusion is that the original design, and hallmark, were both Borgel. But Taubert purchased that company and the right to continue to use its (then) well known hallmark. Taubert also further refined some of the classic Borgel designs.

This particular case measures 33mm excluding the crown, and has not been abused. In fact, the original, contrasting brushing on the mid-case and rear are both well preserved. Note the elegantly chamfered lugs, which retain their original lines. There is also a nice inner dust cap, which has done its job well in protecting the movement.

The caliber 598 is in very good condition, though I do not know the last date of service, and would certainly recommend one for regular use. There are a couple of fine scratches, and they are the only reason that I downgraded it from "excellent". The 598 is the center-second version of Alpina's venerable cal. 592. These movements were workhorses, and there were many produced from the 1930s well into the 1950s.

I ask $575, which will include EMS express shipping from my home in Portugal. I can ship more cheaply (regular tracking), but for those living in the U.S., note that there are long customs delays, and it can take quite a long time for such parcels to arrive.

PayPal or bank transfer.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jul 11, 2020
    Shan, Flatfoot, VinceFR and 21 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 11, 2020

Sold! Thanks to the new oner, supportive forum members, and OF staff.

Syrte likes this.
  3. abrahamovic Jul 12, 2020

no worries. you made a great deal. please tony, as you are a longtime OF member, wouldnt you mind if I asked about ranchero I consider to buy? thanks tomas