Forums Latest Members

Suggestions for a watch to gift nonWIS BIL

1. pw92676 Dec 14, 2020

So my brother in law is expecting his first child. In true nerd form I first got a college savings plan open for my future nephew and now in true watch nerd form I would like to get him a watch to commemorate the occasion, with the romantic notion that it may one day go to my future nephew. Soliciting suggestions from the collective insight here on whether it’s even worth it and if so what to pursue.

He is a former sergeant who served two tours and is now a professional chef and has kind of the hipster vibe. He has no strong interest in watches so don’t want to go crazy with the budget and would like to stay under $1k but thought this may be a good starting point as becoming a father will certainly hit the “reset” button on his life, in a good way. I gifted him a $100 Bulova chronograph when he was one of my groomsmen. He loved it but he lost it working in a kitchen within a few months. Then gave him a Daniel Wellington for Christmas one year and he LOVED it but doesn’t wear it often.

My wife’s thoughts are to skip the purchase as BIL may not find the idea of passing on a watch as cool as I do
    My preliminary thoughts are to go forth and thinking Hamilton khaki, any Seiko, maybe an entry level Tag.

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated :)

kip595 likes this.
  2. S.H. Dec 14, 2020

Something tough, easy and cheap to fix, waterproof. The new seiko 5 series are very nice, with and without bezel.

kip595, warrydog and pw92676 like this.
  3. Dimitris Dec 14, 2020

Hmm why dont you ask him it wouldnt be nice to spend close to 1k and buy him a watch he wont wear or not like ?

4. Braindrain Dec 14, 2020

Marathon? He might understand the reference and they sell quartz versions.

SkunkPrince, dougwhiz and pw92676 like this.
  5. pw92676 Dec 14, 2020

While this is the obvious route, I also wanted an element of surprise this time. I have indeed broached the subject before when thinking of Christmas gifts and I left scratching my head lol...I need a hipster translator. That’s why my wife and I are both differing but neither is firm in our assumption. But I should broach it again and If there is a glimmer of enthusiasm I would consider increasing the spend to an entry level Tag or the like.

6. Dimitris Dec 14, 2020

A hipster you said, hmm maybe a simple junghans can get the job done , on the other hand you said he is a chef and a former sergeant so he might appreciate more a tough watch maybe a grey seiko samurai , also there are many citizen eco drive which are tough as nails. Another good idea when you decide what watch you are going to buy is engraving the back with some meaningful words! Hope that helps :D if you tell us a bit more about his lifestyle and hobbies we might find other suggestions too.

pw92676 likes this.
  7. 140dave Dec 14, 2020

I think you have the right idea with the Hamilton Khaki. Has the military inspiration for that life aspect, a classic look for the hipster, and tough enough for a chef too. And if he looses it, it’s not $1000 down the drain. BUT if he doesn’t wear it all the time it may not ever have that pass-down-bond you are looking for. Maybe buy a nice one for YOU with the intention of passing it down, wear it every time you see your nephew and build the watch bond that way. Just a thought, you ant go wrong either way IMO.

pw92676 likes this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 14, 2020

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

It's lookin' like the gift shouldn't be a watch.

Gruesome and pw92676 like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Dec 14, 2020

If he doesn't already own one, I would recommend a full set of shaving tools; proper DE razor, good brush, stand and a bowl + a good soap.

When the nephew turns 13 or so, buy him a similar set :)

I realise that it may not what you asked for, but every time I get the urge to do something similar to what you wrote, I hold back as I know that while it is a nice thought, a watch that is meant for a father to hand down should be a watch that he has chosen himself.

10. alefar Dec 14, 2020

A very rugged, versatile and value for money option is the Sinn 556 (although at the top end of your budget):thumbsup:

pw92676 likes this.
  11. pw92676 Dec 14, 2020

Love the engraving idea. Thank you.
    For hobbies and lifestyle, I think food is his new passion in life.

12. pw92676 Dec 14, 2020

That is a damn good idea :)

13. pw92676 Dec 14, 2020

That is another damn good idea! Thank you!!

14. Dimitris Dec 14, 2020

I second that , sadly sometimes the gifts that we watch enthousiasts consider as the best are not so suitable and likeable by others. Many people just dont care about watches and would prefer other things .

pw92676 likes this.
  15. ConElPueblo Dec 14, 2020

No matter what you end up doing, I hope it gets appreciated - it is really considerate of you :)

pw92676 likes this.
  16. pw92676 Dec 14, 2020

Thank you. Trying to do my part. My real contribution is getting the college savings plan funded with automated contributions. If he chooses not to utilize, I don’t want it to be for lack of resources. My BIL is a good guy but could easily miss out on planning for this. The gift is just something fun.

My uncle is a big reason I got into watches. He helped spawn my enthusiasm (but ignored his crystal ball when he told me not to bother getting the Snoopy 1 when it came out lol.) Would be cool if i could do the same for my first nephew.

17. pw92676 Dec 17, 2020

Update: after some phone conversations, decided it is not the best idea to get him a watch.

Now to decide what long lasting gift to get him instead. And maybe save the watch gift for me with the rationale of “I’ll wear it around the nephew to pass it onto him” :)

18. SkunkPrince Dec 17, 2020

Victorinox Swiss Army knife.

pw92676 likes this.
  19. kip595 Dec 17, 2020

Just a thought, but this is from my background (worked in restaurants and clubs for many years & have collected watches for quite a few now) - I have never met a pro chef that was not passionate about his cutlery.

Sort of going off a few other suggestions above and a similar gift set I gave once - why not present your BIL with a set like: an 8" chef's knife, a 6" chef's knife, and then lastly a simple, robust field watch - which incidentally could all be engraved, and all of the Victorinox brand.

You could explain that the 8" is for him, to show his new son his love of cooking, the 6" for your nephew when (and if) he decides to learn to cook himself, and explain that you're essentially giving your BIL the watch to pass on to your nephew eventually in showing him a passion of your own - I find little 'group' gifts like this can often help friends or family remain close, and especially with the above brand, all can be afforded in total for under your max budget.

Just a thought, but I enjoy giving people 'memento' gifts like that, so I fully support your intention - good luck!

pw92676 likes this.
  20. pw92676 Dec 17, 2020

This is brilliant. I love the idea. Many thanks!!!

kip595 likes this.