Forums Latest Members

Suggestions for a dressy women's Omega?

1. cgaites Dec 20, 2019

Hi all,

My wife's birthday is coming up and she has asked me to look for a nice watch for her that she can wear on date nights, and to various "adult" events (e.g. office holiday parties, school fundraisers, etc.). Two pieces she has told me she likes, which she saw on Instagram, are the Cartier Tank Solo in steel and the Omega DeVille Tresor in steel with diamonds. Her preference between the two is the Cartier, and as the more affordable of the two it seems like it would be an easy win for me. That said, as a dedicated Omega guy, if I could find an Omega alternative that she prefers to the Cartier it would be a double win.

I'm not terribly familiar with Omega's women's offerings. Other than the Tresor, all I know of are the Manhattan case Constellations and the ladies Aqua Terra. I think the Aqua Terra is probably too sporty for this use case though. Is there anything else out there from the recent catalog I should look at? Anything in the Tank style? A vintage piece is likely not appropriate for her, but it doesn't have to be new either. Budget is open for the right watch, but ideally under $5K.

Thanks!

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 20, 2019

This is, perhaps, a case where vintage could shine. Hamilton watches of the 30s and 40s, for example, were a lot smaller for men than the watches of today and look great on a woman's wrist. I have a Hamilton Greenwich, for example, that I'd sell for that purpose. :D

Lady's Omega are a dime a dozen as well, for example the Ladymatic. Even in solid gold, the prices are quite low.

So in your case, I'd be compiling a list of watches about 34mm or smaller and seeing what she likes.

Tom

DaveK and connieseamaster like this.
  3. abrod520 Dec 20, 2019

@Syrte .

I am no arbiter of style, women’s or otherwise, but the Cartier is a very nice choice I think. But you may as well run vintage Constellations by her too; if it’s gonna be modern I don’t think I’d choose Omega for a lady’s watch

Syrte and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Dec 20, 2019

I think your wife has already told you what she wants- I wouldn’t go second guessing that if you want her to enjoy the hobby with you.

Tony, Deafboy, NYCwatchgal and 7 others like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2019

Agree 100%. Once upon a time, before I got interested in vintage watches or watches entirely, the watches I thought were nice for a woman were Cartier - or Hermès.
    And I must confess I really hate all of Omega's modern ladies watches. I find them overly glitzy, gaudy, cheesy - you name it.
    No, okay the Aquaterra is okay. But not beautiful.

If I were to find a nice alternative to a Cartier tank, I would choose an Hermès Cape Cod with crocodile double wrap strap.
    THe double wrap strap which Hermès invented and which they make with the same leather as those famously elusive handbags are marvelously elegant and sexy on the wrist.
    See below a funny video of what it looks like on the wrist -there are smaller versions too of the same watch.
    http://fr.worldtempus.com/article/m.../hermes-video-cape-cod-double-tour-23045.html
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 20, 2019
  6. JwRosenthal Dec 20, 2019

I buy a vintage piece every occasion for my lady as a second gift to whatever she has mentioned as in her wish list. It started with a 1958 ladies Seamaster I picked up cheap on a whim and she fell in love- she now has about 20 vintage watches, half of them vintage men’s watches, including many that used to live in my watch box (there is a Tudor Ranger that I will never see again). But, she also has definitive tastes and hers do differ from mine on some counts so when she suggests one she likes that I may not care for- it’s not for me to make a judgement call.
    Start her with the Tank which is a classic and the used market is flush with them (I’m sure you can find a full kit unworn out there). Then over time, send her pics of vintage watches you like and see how she responds- that way you get a feel for exactly what she likes.

NYCwatchgal and Dsloan like this.
  7. neilfrancis Dec 20, 2019

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2019

Holy macaroni, lucky her — I wish i could find a vintage Tudor Ranger sitting for me in a watchbox!

DaveK likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal Dec 20, 2019

I’ve seen a chunk of your collection- you’re not hurting ;)

Syrte likes this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 20, 2019

I got lucky to have acquired a handful of pieces one might now consider « serious » right before their price spiralled.
    But a Tudor Ranger is out of my league. :unsure:

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. connieseamaster Dec 20, 2019

15768744872116902779811659493413.jpg

Late 60s ladies Constellation (568.001). Makes a great couple's/family watch too

DaveK, Dsloan, Syrte and 1 other person like this.
  12. Donn Chambers Dec 20, 2019

Buy her the Cartier. It’s a great, classic watch, and she already told you she likes it better. Buying her the Omega will cost you more money that you could spend on other gifts for her! Think how much happier she’d be then. ;)

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. rohnin Dec 20, 2019

Cartier. That’s what she wants, and it’s the elegant choice. A ballon bleu would be my first choice, second a Tank

NYCwatchgal and Syrte like this.
  14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 20, 2019

My local store where I get stuff done and my watchmaker works is a Cartier dealer. Those Tank watches are pretty spiffy.

Tom

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. Dan S Dec 20, 2019

There’s a reason that the Cartier tank is a classic.

16. JwRosenthal Dec 21, 2019

I think you are seeing a theme here @cgaites
    We shit in a lot of “fashion” watches but the Cartier Tank isn’t one of them. Mad respect.

NYCwatchgal likes this.
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2019

Agreed on all fronts.
    I really would have liked a ballon bleu once upon a time. Then I saw their price. And then Kate Middleton got herself one. I’m sure that’s not helping on the pricing front.

As it happens, a forum friend just sent me this lovely vintage ladies gift- giving me a perfect opportunity to show the classy magic of an Hermes double wrap strap.
    This one came on an Ebay purchase I have since resold. The watch was a quartz Cape Cod from the late 1990s or early 2000, the leather was dry and brittle, scratched up and dull.
    It required extensive treatment but with such quality it came back to life with a beautiful patina. One of those bought new now might cost around 300 dollars.

E5836432-FF0A-4014-9428-2BE7D0F26566.jpeg 31D754AE-0AB4-4CB5-83F0-D01E28BCB15C.jpeg
    JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. Canuck Dec 21, 2019

I have shown Mrs. C’s Omegas before. At the risk of boring you, I’ll downsize them and show them again. She has a dozen or so vintage and antique watches, all of a style women wore 60 years ago or so. Her oldest watch is one my late father gave his mother in 1927. Her newest is a ‘90s vintage Seiko Lassale quartz. The three shown here are all Omegas, all mechanical, stem winders, in 14-karat yellow or white gold. We have an agreement. I won’t wear her watches, and she won’t wear mine.
    15943EDF-A83C-4F9A-A83A-42FCDBC319EF.jpeg 95E0C832-C564-40A6-8712-B249601927B5.jpeg 461575FC-962E-4AC4-B25E-58CC0F27EBB4.jpeg

19. cgaites Dec 21, 2019

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Seems like the consensus is go Cartier or go vintage. Obviously for a purchase this big I will take her to try each piece on in the metal. Whatever she picks, that’s what she’ll get. Now that I think about it, going for the Cartier (the quartz movement version) would leave enough in the budget for a 34mm vintage Seamaster or similar. Could be a round about way of adding another piece that I could wear. :)

Syrte likes this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 21, 2019

Until she starts wearing yours of course. see above the story of that Tudor Ranger.

JwRosenthal and connieseamaster like this.