Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

Well that's one option...could also be that your mom grounded you and you are stuck in the basement.

Duracuir1 and sonicosa like this.
  2. Cephas Aug 3, 2020

I would have thought that with the cal 321 now being resurrected, the discontinued parts would now be re-continued. Or am I being naive about something? (Of course, the work you are describing could pre-date the 321 re-introduction.)

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

No, this watch is in my shop right now, so this is a current service. Despite the many promises and assurances made that 321 parts would be made available again, they have not been.

I've been skeptical of the promises from the beginning, and again I hope I'm wrong, but despite the fact that the case, dial, hands have been made available for the "new" 321 model, none of the movement parts are.

Cephas likes this.
  4. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

I liked your first reasoning much more. Resorting to Momma put-downs - was fun in Jr. High.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

Sorry to bring up memories of last week for you...;)

6. M'Bob Aug 3, 2020

Since I went to public school in NJ, I’m very familiar with Yo Momma put-downs. And to be technical about it (since were on a watch forum), he didn’t put yo momma down: but he did bust all over you...

janice&fred and nimzotech like this.
  7. M'Bob Aug 3, 2020

And to be technical with you: probably unlikely given time of year. Or are you suggesting summer school?

nimzotech likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

Well, you know the kind of kids that had to do summer school, right? :)

nimzotech and M'Bob like this.
  9. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

Awww buddy-buddy? What is this tag-team? Summer is here.
    Maybe get together (once your fingernails grow back) and we can have a Summer School practical exam on how to pull the crown out.
    It’ll be a Joy of fun I guarantee it.

10. M'Bob Aug 3, 2020

Not even close; Al has kicked my ass so many times it would make your head spin. It’s all in good fun though, you get challenged, you get an ass whuppin’, but, in the end, you learned something. Like what prevents a stem from coming out...or how to correctly execute a Yo Momma break.

janice&fred likes this.
  11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 3, 2020

Somehow I doubt that he'll get anywhere near.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

Yes indeed very educational. Besides the “Yo Momma” bit, the lesson on how to pull out the crown from a Speedmaster was especially entertaining.

13. M'Bob Aug 3, 2020

Glad you’re being amused. That’s what we live for around here.

nimzotech likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

I see he's already been knocked back once...

15. Evitzee Aug 3, 2020

And just marvel that this whole thing started by someone asking how to pull out the crown on a watch. Simple question for OF members you say? I think not.

16. Lurk41 Aug 3, 2020

I nearly forgot about the very first question ^^

So, forefinger nail under the crown, thumb on top of it to apply a counter force... I used only the nail before (no thumb) and changed my habit when the OB found it hard to pull out the crown and immedialty asked me if I was using 1 or 2 fingers. Apparently the 1-finger method could bend the stem...

Talking about pulling out the crown, I have 3 manual watchs and all share the same "feature": as soon as I wind the watch, I cannot pull the crown out anymore. I have to slightly "unwind" (technically it does not unwind anything but you get the point) to unlock it.
    And no, they are not supposed to be screw down crowns :D

Anyone also experienced this and any idea of what could be the cause? (V92, 930, and GP12.3 in case it matters)
    I am guessing that the torque applied when winding creates a kind of lock between the winding pinion and the sliding pinion but I do not understand why exactly... (the 930 is in deep need of service and even more - but the 2 others were taken care of recently - at least supposed to be)

M'Bob likes this.
  17. M'Bob Aug 3, 2020

Bend it, or perhaps at least cause some abrasion and eventual loss of material from the angulated pulling. A lot of one-finger crown pullers though. Thanks for responding.

18. sonicosa Aug 3, 2020

I have this exact same issue and have been meaning to post about it. Happens with my Baltic Bi-Compax and a couple caliber 601 models I have.

19. M'Bob May 14, 2022

This is a very informative thread, mostly due to Al’s photos and explanations. An additional question, though: is this contact area between the set lever post and the slot in the stem typically lubricated?
    DFE7B696-BDB5-44C6-A562-38D211089C46.jpeg

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 14, 2022

On watches that I service it is. I use a very very thin film of Mobius 9504 applied to the groove in the stem.

M'Bob likes this.