Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2020

Okay here is the setting lever screw for the 6497/6498:

Setting lever1.jpg

You will note is has a flange part way up the body of the screw. Here it is installed into the main plate:

Setting lever2.jpg

Now with the barrel bridge installed:

Setting lever3.jpg

Here is the setting lever and the setting lever screw assembled together:

Setting lever4.jpg

The red arrow points to the post that is the one that rides in the notch in the stem, and with the screw fully tightened down, this post will not allow the stem to be pulled from the movement. Here the screw is partially unscrewed:

Setting lever5.jpg

The flange on the screw shown in the first photo above prevents this screw from moving in or out when the screw is turned. So when you turn the screw CCW to unscrew it, the only thing that can happen is that the setting lever moves away from the screw in the direction of the read arrow. This causes the post that is engaged with the stem to move out of the slot in the stem, and the stem can be removed.

You don't want to unscrew this all the way, but just enough to allow the stem to be removed. If you unscrew it too far, the screw will come completely out of the setting lever and you will have to remove the movement from the case, removed the hands and dial, and whatever else is involved to get down to the lever needed to thread the screw back into the setting lever.

Now if you look at the Cal. 321 setting lever screw on the first page of this thread that I posted, even though it's rusted you will see it has no flange on it like this one does, and this means that when you unscrew this screw, it will back out slightly. This is why on many watches when I give advice how to remove the stem, I suggest unscrewing the screw slightly, then using the screwdriver to press down on the screw, and gently pull on the stem while pressing down. On many watches if you unscrew this screw far enough to remove the stem without pressing on the screw, the screw will come completely out of the setting lever.

Most modern watches I work on (there are some exceptions) don't use a setting lever screw at all. The setting lever looks like this:

Setting lever6.jpg

There is often some type of spring on the dial side that holds this part in place, rather than using a screw. In this style, you use a tool to press where I have the read arrow in the small indent top push the setting lever away, so the post that secures the stem in place clears the stem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

Edited Aug 2, 2020
    Syzygy, Waltesefalcon, ChrisN and 2 others like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2020

Hey, knock yourself out! :)

3. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

I think that is super helpful. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Archer likes this.
  4. Dan S Aug 2, 2020

As you explain this, don't forget to include the fact that 99.9999999999999% of the solid is basically empty space with negligible mass. :D

Lurk41, eugeneandresson and Archer like this.
  5. M'Bob Aug 2, 2020

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. Thanks.

6. M'Bob Aug 2, 2020

By the way: I spoke to a number of watch collectors in the interim, and when I asked them how they pulled out their crowns, I was genuinely surprised how many used just one finger.

7. sonicosa Aug 2, 2020

I almost always turn the watch over and use the thumbnail on my left hand from the back of the watch.

M'Bob likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Aug 2, 2020

Can we post this picture every time someone spouts off about how a watch is crap because it doesn’t have the original crown?
    F02E4352-2A30-499C-BBBC-FAFD90D62D91.png

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  9. M'Bob Aug 3, 2020

Hey JW,

Not really sure what you’re driving at here. Clearly, if water gets inside a watch, it’s never good, and a variable amount of corrosion will ensue.

But there’s nothing wrong with collectors looking for original parts on a collector piece, including the crown. But they do have to be aware that, on crowns that have gaskets, they could be worn, and the watch may never have the requisite water-resistance.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

Well if we are dong that, we should show some of the rest of the damage too...here's the rusted winding pinion:

WP1.jpg

WP2.jpg

The sliding pinion:

SP.jpg

The rust carried on to the crown wheel:

CRW.jpg

The ratchet wheel:

RW.jpg

The click:

Click.jpg

And to the pinion leaves on the center wheel:

CW.jpg

And for the parts you see, here is the chronograph hand:

CH.jpg

The small seconds hand was rusted as well, along with this stain on the dial:

Dial.jpg

Fortunately, I was able to remove that stain:

Dial2.jpg

There's a reason these crowns are replaced at every service...

Cheers, Al

11. M'Bob Aug 3, 2020

Interesting that it didn’t affect the lume. Is it Radium or Tritium?

12. JwRosenthal Aug 3, 2020

Lemme guess, this was shallower than 50m ::stirthepot::

nimzotech and M'Bob like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

Yes because as I've said countless times, most watches leak because of lack of maintenance, not because they are taken past their depth rating.

14. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

Aww, is that what you’re selling?

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

Not selling anything mate.

nimzotech likes this.
  16. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

Thank God

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

Keep posting like this and you will be at 200 very soon.

18. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

You mean, only you could post but I shouldn’t?

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2020

I'll give you credit for being creative. Start a trolling thread about Rolex owners that is sure to get a lot of posts that you can respond to, then post a few lame jokes, and start some arguments to have some back and forth. Much smarter than the average post farmer here...

20. nimzotech Aug 3, 2020

You got me! I give up. Mercy —- Tapping out.
    Your sharp intelligence sees right through my motives. It must be because I want to sell something... Genius