Forums Latest Members
  1. StudentOmega Mar 28, 2020

I have been saving up I and want to buy a vintage seamaster for my 18th birthday. However, my parents wont let me buy a thousand dollar watch, because they think that it will get stolen in uni. Should I buy a cheaper (probably worse quality) seamaster, or do you know a good alternative for me? I have been interested in watches for about three years, and I would love to own a vintage dress watch.

2. dan7800 Mar 28, 2020

That is a loaded question as there is so much variability. What is your current financial situation? I'd say that the "smart" move would be to put that money towards college and ensuring that you leave as debt-free as possible. Once you graduate college and have some money, then reward yourself with the purchase. Four years will go by before you know it, and is it really worth having a fight with your parents over this?

I do reasonably well for myself, but I only allow myself to purchase a watch when I really want to reward myself eg Very significant work or life achievement.

I'm 37 and have 2 good quality watches.

3. lillatroll Mar 28, 2020

Hello and welcome,
    I know they are your parents and it is nice that you respect their opinion but if it is your money you should buy what you like with it and spend what you feel comfortable spending on it.
    I say this not to be disrespectful to your parents but if you are first going to buy a watch then it should be one you love, not one you are simply satisfied with. The chances of your watch getting stolen are small, the chances of you losing it are probably greater.
    For 1000usd there are plenty of options and many you will probably love, just don't settle for 'ok' be patient and look at the WRUW thread to give you an idea of what is out there.

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  4. Dan S Mar 28, 2020

Whatever watch you choose to buy, I suggest that you don't sacrifice quality, because that WOULD be a waste of your money. Spend enough to get something that is honest and original, and in good condition. Personally I would try to stick with a stainless case (or gold-cap if you strongly prefer a gold watch). It's also very important that the watch appeals to you personally, so it could be helpful for you to post a few photos of representative examples.

ZIELSZIEK and DaveK like this.
  5. wagudc Mar 28, 2020

Since it will likely be a daily wearer, don't forget the cost of servicing after you buy it. Don't take the word of a typical eBay seller about a watch being serviced. There are many good vetted sellers here. This a great vintage Omega that comes in under budget:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-geneve-ref-135-011-serviced-600.111003/

And many more to consider:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/fur...er-w-351-bumper-gold-breguet-numerals.108119/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1950s-vintage-12-68z-longines-dress-watch.110500/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/king-seiko-chronometer-4402-8000-serviced.111332/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-2383-4-1940s-grey-dial-£625.108196/

And others I surely missed.

ZIELSZIEK, DaveK and Steve9pm like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 28, 2020

Whenever I see posts like this, the voice of my “no fun allowed” Pennsylvania German grandfather pops into my head. This voice I willfully ignored at your age and spent my summer job money on worse things than a watch ... (records and quality sound gear excepted) ... Buy the best watch you can, budget for a service and have a Timex, a Casio, Bulova, Baltic etc handy for conditions that don’t suit a vintage watch. OF is an excellent reference source. Now here comes Grandad again, if your parents have scrimped and saved to get you to university and money is tight, i would defer this dream and get myself a Timex Marlin Automatic or Baltic HMS.

Edited Mar 28, 2020
    ZIELSZIEK, Shabbaz and DaveK like this.
  7. wagudc Mar 28, 2020

Agreed. The new Timex reissues are cool. You might also look at Seiko dress watches from the 60s. Orient Bambino is another option for a low cost new watch with a vintage feel.

ZIELSZIEK, Foo2rama and DaveK like this.
  8. Oku Mar 28, 2020

What kind of Seamaster are you looking for?
    Gold, steel?
    Which size?
    Dial color?

If I were you, I wouldn't make a compromise buying "lower" quality or something that I don't like. But I would also not displease my parents. So I think the advice of @dan7800 is very wise and the best in your situation. Be patient, save up the money and use a really cheap but pleasing watch in the meantime. Be on the lookout and if you find "the" watch, be prepared.

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 28, 2020

Or a Seiko

edit: oops, that was already mentioned above :oops:

10. steelfish Mar 28, 2020

I think maybe they’re over thinking this. I managed 3 years at a particularly grim northern university with a brand new Breitling worth about 3k at the time. 3 years of wearing it every single day, drunken nights out, climbing over walls (don’t ask). All was fine. I think as long as it’s a daily wearer you should really have no issues.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 28, 2020

What watches do you like?

then we can find great affordable options that look like what you desire.

12. Shabbaz Mar 28, 2020

You can also take a outdoor jewelry insurance for EUR 6,00 a month. And buy what you like and what you can afford. The nice thing about beeing a student is that you make your own choices. Good luck!

13. ZIELSZIEK Mar 28, 2020

I'm 20 and I'm in Uni so I feel I can speak to you from a young collector's perspective. My passion for watches started a long time ago when my father let me wind his Zenith, god do I miss that. I have been researching watches ever since. I even know a bit about Seiko but I am a total Omega noob, I'm here to learn.
    Here are some tips I can share:
    1. It will be very hard for you to find a nice example of a Seamaster unless somebody is kind enough to point you in the right direction. There are a lot of duds out there, redials, wrong movements, wrong hands.. you name it.
    2. Is it money that your parents gave you and you saved up or is it money that you made through other means? My parents don't support my hobby at all saying that having more than 2-3 wristwatches is an unnecessary luxury and I fully agree with them. I'm 99% self-sponsored through small jobs I do. They do gift me the occasional watch strap and stuff like that, hence the 1% missing. If your parents provided that money then they kind of have a saying in your purchase.
    3. The most "expensive" watch I have owned was a 6138-0011 "UFO" Seiko. I have sold the watch some time ago to fund other purchases but nobody ever noticed it as being "expensive" (I had spent 700 euro on it). Maybe that would not be the case with an Omega. A "friend" of mine who owned a Fossil even called it a pos.... telling me to get something else than an old man's watch... Yeah, he's a pos, I know.
    4. Why exactly a Seamaster? I know Omega is associated with luxury and prestige, but there are many watches that can satisfy your needs. I'm thinking of a Doxa, Seiko, Certina, Benrus and many more. Also, there are a lot of Seamasters out there, you need to be more specific.
    5. If I were in your shoes I'd build a collection with that 1000 euro, rather than getting a single watch, but it's your choice.
    6. Unless the seller can provide documents regarding the service, you need to assume a vintage piece will need servicing. I scheduled my Caravelle Devil Diver for a service in a couple of months and it cost me 100 euro(before buying replacement parts, I need the WM to inspect it before ordering any) for a non hacking, no date, handwinding movement that is regarded as being a simple movement. A service for an Omega goes for around 300 euro where I live, provided no parts are needed and the movement is fairly simple.
    7. DO NOT CHEAPEN OUT ON THE SERVICE! NEVER !
    I hope I helped at least a little. If you want to learn stick to this forum, there are a lot of nice people here and there are even more resources when it comes to vintage watches(and more).

Edited Mar 28, 2020
    wagudc and MRC like this.