Forums Latest Members

Strap, Strap, who's got the Strap?

1. Léon P May 28, 2021

Hi Everyone,

Now that Spring has officially taken hold (it's an iffy thing, here in Portland Oregon), I think that it's time for a new set of clothes for my 1958 18K rose gold 267 Trésor. Currently, it's garbed with a getting-long-in-the-tooth black crocodile. 20210524_163135.jpg

My question is: Should I look for a real Omega strap, or is any make of strap all right, as long as it fits the watch and matching rose gold buckle? And what material and colour?

Totally clueless minds (MINE!!) want to know.

Thanks in advance,

Léon

2. SkunkPrince May 28, 2021

I have a rose gold Lemania and it currently wears a rose gold Forstner Komfit (the original, not the new guy) bracelet.

But the case goes well with a Horween cordovan strap in No. 8 color, which is an indescribable color that is sort of burgundy and complements the rose gold very well. Horween makes a few different leathers in No. 8, so you have a few to choose from.

Here's an (expensive) example: https://www.finwatchstraps.com/coll...-19-mm-20mm-21-mm-22mm-23-mm-24mm-25-mm-26-mm

DaveK and Léon P like this.
  3. LuckyLes May 28, 2021

Hi Leon,
    There are any number of strap makers making quality straps these days. As long as the lug size and buckle size matches all will be fine.
    Hirsch make a large range of straps of good quality.
    Good luck in your search.
    LuckyLes

AngelDeVille and Léon P like this.
  4. Léon P May 28, 2021

That Cordovan colour is amazing! Thank you!

5. Léon P May 28, 2021

I never dreamed that there are so many manufactures out there, with such a huge variety of colours and styles. Thank you for ideas!

6. Lurk41 May 30, 2021

1/ No, there are plenty of fine strap makers
    2/ No, any make is not equal.

Do not expect a 20$ alligator strap to be good... Now you can find plenty of very good handmade alligator straps at around 150$

This thread may help you find one ;) Some strap makers are even offering different lengths, on top of lug/buckle width. Very helpful when you do not have a "medium" wrist
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/«watch-strap-ressource»-where-to-buy-good-quality-leather-watch-straps.82232/

NT931 and Léon P like this.
  7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 30, 2021

Shoe polish. Many straps develop a lovely worn look with time, Before you discard your strap, consider a restoration. Your pics do not give an indication if this is possible, but it may be a better alternative. Croc and alligator are very durable. Give it a try.

Boojumhunter and Léon P like this.
  8. Léon P May 31, 2021

Do not expect a 20$ alligator strap to be good... Now you can find plenty of very good handmade alligator straps at around 150$

This thread may help you find one ;) Some strap makers are even offering different lengths, on top of lug/buckle width. Very helpful when you do not have a "medium" wrist

Thank you so much! I had a bit too much fun searching the sites, and I think that I went mad with my purchasing.
    I ended up ordering a "Made In USA" Hadley Roma black Crocodile, a violet-grey suede strap marked JPM, that gorgeous Cordovan strap which SkunkPrince suggested, and an Hirsch ASCOT English Leather in Gold Brown. I'm also going to try my hand at buffing with shoe polish, per Kingsrider's tip, and see if I can breathe new life into my current strap.

Again, thanks to everyone who was kind enough to offer help! All I need do now is to build up my posts, so that I can send messages to the sellers in this Forum, and not have to wonder about the authenticity of the offerings on those two sites which shall not be named.

Cheers to All!

9. WadeP May 31, 2021

krogerfoot likes this.
  10. AngelDeVille May 31, 2021

mine will be here in the next week or two

11. SkunkPrince Jun 1, 2021

You can message sellers regardless of post count.

12. Lurk41 Jun 1, 2021

Can't blame you, I nearly did the same when I discovered this topic. I was saved only because most did not offer a short length option on the straps I wanted :D

13. krogerfoot Jun 1, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 13.39.18.png
    The Norwegian Blue parrot. Lovely plumage

No, really—these AARON BESPOKE straps look amazing.

Léon P likes this.
  14. cineaste Jun 2, 2021

I can highly recommend Ashland Leather, their leather quality and craftsmanship is second to none!

15. Jkbenn02 Jun 2, 2021

I think any strap will do.

16. Boojumhunter Jun 2, 2021

I've bought a few straps from Delugs.com, and been really impressed. Initially sale items to check it out, then moving into their customised lines. Good quality/price ratio. Check 'em out.

17. JwRosenthal Jun 2, 2021

I love that you got the JPM violet suede- a bold choice! Green suede looks equally good on rose gold as well.

I think many get mired down in what “should” be on a watch- as in what would have been appropriate to the period of a watch- and I appreciate that. But straps are such an easy thing to play with so we can get whimsical and bold if we want- then go back to traditional in 2 minutes if we feel we have stepped over the line.

If you don’t have a good strap changing tool, then invest in one. Rose gold is very easy to damage so if you aren’t a skilled strap-swapper, practice on a stainless watch first.

Léon P likes this.
  18. Léon P Jun 3, 2021

Thanks for the advice! I ordered a changing tool and it should arrive as the first of the new straps are delivered.
    This is going to be so much fun!