Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Oct 13, 2013

So I decided to take the horrible (Chinese) strap off this somewhat controversial watch with its puzzling dial. I managed it OK, but not without a struggle -

Watch & Bars.jpg

The reason things were a little tricky is that the spring bars are full-length, but as you can see from the picture below, once you know how they are easy to remove -

Spring Bars.jpg

The bars have a brass barrel and a little projecting pin which you push back to release them. They are really rather nice, and I wonder if they can be the original bars that came with the watch? It would be a bonus if they were . . .

The lugs on this gold case are distinctive, so I thought I would give you a close-up -

Lugs.jpg

You can see the brushed finish on the outside of the lug, which is the same as the case back - and another surprise. On the inside of the opposite lug are stamped the last three digits of the case serial number, probably so the body and the case back can be matched up quickly during final assembly. I've seen this on Dennison cases but had not realised that the Swiss ones used the same system.

Now its time to think about a better strap :)

Alpenschneerot likes this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 13, 2013

This type of spring bar was typically used with a bracelet like this.

IMG_4226.JPG

3. John R Smith Oct 13, 2013

Ah - and you line the pin in the bar up with the slot in the end link. I see . . . that makes more sense than using them with a leather strap.

4. ulackfocus Oct 13, 2013

There are leather straps that have those quick release spring bars.

5. John R Smith Oct 13, 2013

Ah, so my illusions are not totally shattered ;) I can see from the insides of the lugs that the watch has never had a bracelet on it, but perhaps the bars did come with a strap then . . .

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 13, 2013

I hate those bars personally - I get many watches in with bracelets on them where there is no cut out in the end link for the quick release, and it can be a bear to get spring bars out.

If it was my watch, I would replace those bars - they are not in the best condition...

Cheers, Al

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 13, 2013

Dennis is actually talking about these, a much later development, not something done in period.

B20mmPatentWhite.jpg

8. John R Smith Oct 13, 2013

Alright, I see. Well there you go then - a load of old bollocks. We shall ditch those bars, along with the strap . . .::beer::

9. michael e Still learning. Oct 13, 2013

I wouldn't ditch the bars but keep them with the watch if you can find a suitable bracelet, I believe they will be the original Omega bars that came with the watch when it was manufactured they certainly look of the period. Omega used bars like this on the early speedmaster 7077 7912 bracelets too.
    Thanks Mick

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 13, 2013

When I saw the first pic I thought you were a genius being able to remove those suicide springbars without cutting them in half.

Seeing that they're the old bolt action style though, my appreciation of your dismantling skills was somewhat dimmed.

Not too much though ;)

11. John R Smith Oct 14, 2013

"Bolt action", now that's a really nice description Jim - perfect. I have had trouble with full-length spring bars on a previous occasion, and I ended up cutting them in half as you say. Of course, if you have a watch with pierced lugs, then no problem :thumbsup:

12. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 14, 2013

Agree..
    Original. I would consider those bars a Find and treasure them.
    There are plenty of quality straps you can find that
    have the cutout for those.
    Cool lug serial stamp I never knew about.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2013

Truly one man's trash is another man's treasure. Personally I would not risk using these old bars, and would put a good quality set of stainless steel spring bars on the watch - not worth risking the watch using those old bars. One is already pretty badly bent...

But to each his own I guess.

Cheers, Al

14. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Oct 14, 2013

those quick releases are nice but when the release lever falls off or breaks.....it is a horrid experience getting them out. I usually have to pin the inner sleeve with a driver and force push it to release out of the lug. Much harder then a modern spring bars.