Stolen: Speedmaster Tokyo Olympics "Rising Sun", Be on the Lookout

I am always suspicious when I see relatively new watches for sale without boxes or papers, especially a LE piece like the Rising Sun.
It had the box, manuals and cert. Only thing missing was the card. In my experiences I have seen some that the cards were lost or misplaced. Given the sellers online reviews I didn't see it as a red flag.

The detective asked me to either drop it off at an LAPD station and they would return it the police dept in Nevada or to ship it direct to him. John (@repoman ) and I decided it would be best for for me to ship it directly to him. We advised the detective and he was fine with that. On it's way back home on Monday.
I like the idea of turning it over to the police. You will get a receipt and it will be documented.

I like the idea of turning it over to the police. You will get a receipt and it will be documented.
Which I have to believe will strengthen your position/case against eBay when trying to get your money back.

It had the box, manuals and cert. Only thing missing was the card. In my experiences I have seen some that the cards were lost or misplaced. Given the sellers online reviews I didn't see it as a red flag.

Also, the warranty card is usually destroyed when an AD sells new stock to gray market dealers but the box and other paperwork usually still goes with the watch. I know this was always a thing with Jomashop. Box and booklets but no warranty card.

Watch Vookum and friends videos on YouTube also. You never know, you might see your watch traded for a 500 quick deal.

The detective asked me to either drop it off at an LAPD station and they would return it the police dept in Nevada or to ship it direct to him. John (@repoman ) and I decided it would be best for for me to ship it directly to him. We advised the detective and he was fine with that. On it's way back home on Monday.
As I said- not a lawyer- but I would assume that as long as you have in writing-from the police- they they told you to ship it back to the original owner and you keep your receipts for shipping etc, I would lump all that in on a claim with eBay. You can even remind them if they want to stonewall that the added cost of any legal fees you incur going after them will only drive the cost to them up.
I’ve learned (although on a smaller dollar amount) that eBay is like insurance companies. They want you to just go away and will try to bat you away like an annoying bug. But when you show that you won’t give up, they will just pay it out to make you go away.

I have it in writing from the police that they approved the direct shipment. When I get the watch from Tony, the detective here in Henderson, will validate the watch is the same was was reported stolen, he will document it has been formally returned to me, the owner, and update the police report accordingly. I will have all this paperwork and will make copies and forward those to Tony. No stone will be left un-turned on our side of things :thumbsup:

Probably the best course of action......it would be a bugger if some light fingered copper knocked it off on the way or it got damaged by someone who didn't know better (poor packaging/handling)

Watch Vookum and friends videos on YouTube also. You never know, you might see your watch traded for a 500 quick deal.
It's amusing you mention that, I've been monitoring this whole genre of 47th diamond district influencers on Instagram and Youtube, i.e. (Vookum, Moses The Jeweler, Kerri Lavine, etc.). They openly deal with watches of dubious origin as a core part of their business, and although their content is entertaining, they sully the resale aspect of fine watches.

It's amusing you mention that, I've been monitoring this whole genre of 47th diamond district influencers on Instagram and Youtube, i.e. (Vookum, Moses The Jeweler, Kerri Lavine, etc.). They openly deal with watches of dubious origin as a core part of their business, and although their content is entertaining, they sully the resale aspect of fine watches.
that, and taking a link from every watch you get in

The OP said only the watch was stolen, no box or papers. Yet you were eventually sold the watch with 'everything' but the card, so it was a put together watch box/kit. I suppose it was possible for someone along the way to acquire one of the special 2020 white Tokyo Olympics boxes the watch originally came in, but without the Warranty card and the Pictogram card, the latter which has both the SN and the limited edition number (xxxx/2020). The certificate was obviously a forgery as a real full color tri-fold Certificate of Authenticity contains the limited edition number (xxxx/2020). I dunno, but this would have thrown up a red flag for me on a LE piece. Anyway, I think it's great you are going to reunite the watch to its rightful owner, hopefully you can get compensation from eBay who sold you a stolen item.

The OP said only the watch was stolen, no box or papers. Yet you were eventually sold the watch with 'everything' but the card, so it was a put together watch box/kit. I suppose it was possible for someone along the way to acquire one of the special 2020 white Tokyo Olympics boxes the watch originally came in, but without the Warranty card and the Pictogram card, the latter which has both the SN and the limited edition number (xxxx/2020). The certificate was obviously a forgery as a real full color tri-fold Certificate of Authenticity contains the limited edition number (xxxx/2020). I dunno, but this would have thrown up a red flag for me on a LE piece. Anyway, I think it's great you are going to reunite the watch to its rightful owner, hopefully you can get compensation from eBay who sold you a stolen item.

This is exactly what happened- it changed hands multiple times and somehow picked up a box along the way. Maybe someone in Brooklyn forged the certificate.

Pretty crazy, also glad the OP got it back!