Stolen: Speedmaster Tokyo Olympics "Rising Sun", Be on the Lookout

With heavy heart, I need to report that my Tokyo Olympics Limited Edition "Rising Sun" Speedmaster was stolen in Henderson Nevada on July 12 2022, and I humbly ask that the watch community be on the lookout in the usual sales channels for any sign of it.

What to do if found:
If found, please contact me via DM here, and call the Henderson Nevada Police Department at (1)702-267-4555 and reference police report # 22-14055 and give them the information (you can also reference my full name as the reporting party, John Falkenthal).

Details:
I need to hold back a few details regarding the thief, and the initial local buyer as I'm still working with the police, but here's the relevant parts that I hope lead to recovering the watch out in the wild: First, this will be watch only no box/papers; the thief did not get the box and papers, I still have those. A Rising Sun for sale as "watch only" will be a rare sale indeed and should send up alarm bells. The thief sold the watch to a local "I buy watches" guy who advertises on Craigslist here in Henderson Nevada, that watch buyer confirmed to me he bought the watch the same day it was stolen, he subsequently flipped it in a trade a day or two later with a person in New York City, and shipped the watch out to that buyer. At least, that's what he claims. That lead is dead ended for now.... I can't say any more at this time. Assume the watch made it to NYC.

Watch Serial Number: 78850888
Limited edition number 1649 / 2020

I've registered this as a stolen watch on a couple of tracking sites, the police have entered this into the national NCIC database as well.

RisingSun78850888-10.jpg
Edited:

That's terrible, we will keep an eye out for a loose, no box or papers, 'Rising Sun'.

It's a rare watch so who read this thread i think it will remember if will see this watch for sale. Regards.

Hope you get it back!

You may want to inquire with the Henderson Police if they've entered the watch into NCIC, the National Crime Information Center.

That's indeed terrible. I know you didn't ask for it, but here's something you may want to look into. Generally, the handling of stolen goods is a criminal offence if the person was aware or should have been aware given the circumstances that a stolen item was involved. I am not sure this is generally the case in the US, but here in Europe it is. Have you considered pressing charges against the flipper with the police? Criminal liability may also lead to civil liability which means you might get some (punitive) damages awarded against the flipper. It doesn't get you your watch back, but it surely helps you compensate some of the damages you suffered.

...Generally, the handling of stolen goods is a criminal offence if the person was aware or should have been aware given the circumstances that a stolen item was involved.

Same is true in Nevada, if the buyer should reasonably suspect the item is stolen, then he too is equally guilty of theft.

You may want to inquire with the Henderson Police if they've entered the watch into NCIC, the National Crime Information Center.

Thanks - I confirmed with the police that the watch is entered into NCIC :thumbsup:

Considering the flipper sent stolen goods across state lines, doesn’t this also become a federal crime? Thus wouldn’t the FBI be interested?

Considering the flipper sent stolen goods across state lines, doesn’t this also become a federal crime? Thus wouldn’t the FBI be interested?

They have been contacted, and thank you for the suggestion.

Same is true in Nevada, if the buyer should reasonably suspect the item is stolen, then he too is equally guilty of theft.

Thanks - I confirmed with the police that the watch is entered into NCIC :thumbsup:
Good to know. Hope you find your watch soon and that they will nail the people who did this.

So sorry for this intrusion into your privacy. I hope you get your watch back!
The thief sold the watch to a local "I buy watches" guy who advertises on Craigslist here in Henderson Nevada, that watch buyer confirmed to me he bought the watch the same day it was stolen, he subsequently flipped it in a trade a day or two later with a person in New York City
The flipper honestly sounds like a "fence" to me. All these "I buy x" ads have always seemed shady. I am sure honest sales are made to these ads, but it seems like an easy "unload your stolen goods no questions asked" sort of thing. I hope they get punished for this.

So sorry for this intrusion into your privacy. I hope you get your watch back!

The flipper honestly sounds like a "fence" to me. All these "I buy x" ads have always seemed shady. I am sure honest sales are made to these ads, but it seems like an easy "unload your stolen goods no questions asked" sort of thing. I hope they get punished for this.
Thus why I thought the FBI may be interested. It’s one thing to buy a stolen watch (knowingly or unknowingly) and flip it in a local sale. Interstate trafficking of stolen goods is fed time, and where there has been one, most likely there have been many more.

Arrrrgh, so infuriating! Here’s hoping this story takes a turn for the better.

What a rough series of events and I second the above, so infuriating! I hope the watch gets back to you safely and soon.

In these situations, people always say, “Well, it’s only money, and no one got physically hurt.” Yeah, that’s true, but what about the hours of toil that someone put it to buy something like this? Can that ever be retrieved after a theft? The people that steal things disgust me. And when apprehended, are not punished severely enough.

As one of my friends in law enforcement says, “What’s the disincentive? You get three hot and a cot.”

In these situations, people always say, “Well, it’s only money, and no one got physically hurt.” Yeah, that’s true, but what about the hours of toil that someone put it to buy something like this? Can that ever be retrieved after a theft? The people that steal things disgust me. And when apprehended, are not punished severely enough.

As one of my friends in law enforcement says, “What’s the disincentive? You get three hot and a cot.”
Yea it really sucks massively and it stays with you a long time, makes you question a lot about your own judgement and choices too and not in a positive way. After having our house robbed by kids it wasn’t until moving out that I was even able to move on and sleep through the night. They do usually get away with it and even when caught pay too low a price.