Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 14, 2018

How do you know about the 1954 pieces? I haven't heard about this up till now tbh.

2. sevenhelmet May 14, 2018

According to this article, there was a run of 1954 pieces planned. I haven't seen this info anywhere else, though. Based on what another member says in this thread, production was only for 1 year, but it's hard to know where that info originally came from.

Personally, it's the intrigue of this model's history that attracted me to it as much as the watch itself.

Edited May 14, 2018
    Pun, frazierspa and CTS-V like this.
  3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 14, 2018

Never seen that article before. But here's the thing, when it was introduced it was a Speedmaster Professional Racing. Only after having a conversation with JC Monachon of Omega he told us the Tintin story (on the first day of Basel 2013, but the watch was already communicated a few days before as 'Racing'). I had the honor to see the prototype of the original Tintin and there was no number on the case (or case back).

destroid, frazierspa and Alex06 like this.
  4. frazierspa May 14, 2018

Good read, 7helmet. Thanks for sharing the link.
    St

Pun likes this.
  5. xantiagib May 15, 2018

remember what repoman said in this post and this is the only reliable close-to-Omega information about the production run, anything else is pure speculation and romanticism (like 1954 being the year herge wrote the book or whatever)

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedy-tintin-information-gathering.33387/page-41#post-714877

it is highly likely an original run of XXXX were meant to happen as a tintin LE but as this fell through it explains the sudden burst we saw in Asia or the US - these were probably the service dials and backs put into cases and shipped out

They use standard speedmaster cases so the serials are all over the place.

what will happen when one of ours needs a service replacement? they'd probably reprint one as and when needed and charge you a small fortune for it

6. sevenhelmet May 15, 2018

I rather doubt that, actually... if they don't have the part in stock, I could see the service center just not doing the work, and returning the watch before they made a custom part. Besides that, it will likely be a long time before a Tintin owner has this problem.

Still, to be on the safe side, when my Tintin needs a service, I plan on sending it to a reputable independent watch maker that is certified by Omega.

xantiagib likes this.
  7. Sunsetamps May 15, 2018

I spoke with several involved in the marketing of the Destination Moon or Tin Tin. There were less than 2000 made, I’ve heard 1950-1954 as the possibilities to tie in with Herge destination moon which was published in 1953 but written in 1950, Popularized in 1954. I don’t think the date was ever set but they started hand painting dials, Some had the rocket and were destroyed although there is possibly 2-3 remaining. Snowy might have had a small cameo somewhere on the box. Moulinsart is notoriously difficult and Omega just couldn’t satisfy every Hergé Foundation request. The Marketing never happened and the Destination Moon was scrapped. There were around 100 service dials saved and roughly 1200-1500 already produced. Numbers vary because a lot of dials were destroyed. Exact production is very small but even those who work at Omega don’t know other than it was a less than 2000 circulation but there were many unfinished dials that did get destroyed. Keep in mind this Dial is not in anyway similar to “racing dials” of the past. Omega tried to push this watch to Asian markets as a way of getting rid of the useless dials. “racing dials” had popularity in the past in Asia but this time it didn’t connect with the public, the public was confused. Most Tin Tins were then recirculated or heavily discounted or transferred to other dealers. This was a Speedmaster without an identity. It was an anomaly. A mistake. Omega hoped to break even on these and foolishly didn’t market them at all and it just was a confusing release to get rid of the dials which were handpainted. Now after several years on, the true connection to Tin Tin and the Destination Moon Comic Book and the scarcity of this piece is now known and slowly collectors are picking these up. It’s an amazing story, but unfortunately was told/leaked well after the release. My suggestion, hold onto this one. It’s very rare for a brand like Omega to have such a giant Screw up that also is so limited and tied to a such neat story. This will be a very expensive watch someday.

8. Sunsetamps May 15, 2018

The serials on the cases are also not unique. They cover the professional as well. Remember the red paint on the back was added as a last minute detail to give this watch more than just a checkered dial identity. It’s truthfully just a professional with a hand painted incomplete dial and red paint for the text back. The finishing pieces never happened but Omega had these expensive dials they needed to move. It’s a cobbled together watch to salvage Omegas expense but it lacks the rocket and the intended case back and specialized box and paperwork. This is why in my opinion this watch will become expensive it’s a rare mistake with a great story and in very small numbers. Keep them.

9. CTS-V May 15, 2018

Interesting insight.....

Its my daily wear...so let the fun begin!

frazierspa likes this.
  10. sevenhelmet May 15, 2018

Wow. After reading that, I feel like I'm not supposed to be wearing my Tintin. Too bad, it's on my wrist right now :D

IMG_4076.jpg

frazierspa, viwa64, CTS-V and 3 others like this.
  11. Pun May 15, 2018

What strap is on your beauty? It looks sexy...

12. sevenhelmet May 15, 2018

This all sort of begs the question, if everyone thinks this watch is destined to become a classic or a sleeper hit, will it backfire due to hoarding and overpricing of the remaining examples?

This one.

13. Pun May 15, 2018

Thank you. Regards

sevenhelmet likes this.
  14. bent_remy May 15, 2018

How long have you had it, how's she holding up?

15. CTS-V May 16, 2018

I got her BNIB from @Kringkily last Sept. Absolutely no issues and I put her on a NATO band (original bracelet never worn).

She is my daily wear to work (US Air Force) and I've worn her hiking and snowboarding in the Italian Alps.

ptfly, frazierspa, bent_remy and 3 others like this.
  16. sevenhelmet May 16, 2018

@Sunsetamps , that's quite possibly the most informative first post(s) I've ever seen on any forum. Thank you.

Redbirdsfan70, bazderome and Pun like this.
  17. Pun May 16, 2018

I agree in toto. I also hope to read more informative posts from him in future as he seems to be closer to the Omega people than many of other members here. He has definitely provided a new insight into TinTin Watch.

18. CTS-V May 16, 2018

So....has anyone ever seen what the original Tin Tin dial and caseback were going to look like in person? Or perhaps are there pictures of it?

I mean....there are pictures and even video of the fake moon landing nearly a half century ago. But there is nothing from a watch designed/manufactured around ~2012-2013?! ;)

Edited May 16, 2018
    jetkins likes this.
  19. jetkins May 16, 2018

As I understand it, images were posted on a couple of sites early on but were taken down after the Herge copyright owners threatened legal action.

That said, if anyone has images and would care to share them privately, please shoot me a msg - I for one would love to see 'em.

CTS-V likes this.
  20. Ludi May 16, 2018

#metoo ^^

CTS-V likes this.