Forums Latest Members

Speedmasters still for EVA’s….Fact or Fiction?

1. kkt Aug 26, 2017

If NASA decides to keep mission time in Sols, I'm sure Omega will make a watch that does too. As you say, likely a modified X33 that keeps Houston time as well.

But it'll be ages before we send a manned mission to Mars. That would require about six administrations and twelve congresses all keeping it as a goal.

CTS-V, TLIGuy and Foo2rama like this.
  2. Seaborg Aug 26, 2017

SpeedyPhill, CTS-V and TLIGuy like this.
  3. slogann Aug 27, 2017

4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 27, 2017

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 3, 2017

With the news of Padalka's Expedition 31 (May 2012) Speedmaster Professional chronograph being auctioned, I just wanted to point out the very best (training, prechecks, actual EVA) ISS spacewalk video:
    Expedition 44 (March 2015)
    2015, August 10 spacewalk by cosmonauts Gennady Padalka & Mikhail Korniyenko lasted 5 hours 31 minutes
    Of course a Speedmaster chronograph is often seen (e.g. at 1:58 and 21:58 )

mikesspeedy likes this.
  6. gdupree Nov 3, 2017

So is this the "flap" that you guys are talking about? Someone was mentioning it being sewn in, but it appears to be an elastic band with a thumb loop to pull it to the side. It certainly is covering something.

Wrist1.png

7. mayankyadav Nov 3, 2017

I don't think this subject needs any more research than reading this answer below about a similar question. The guy answering the question is an astronaut himself-

https://www.quora.com/Omega-claims-to-be-“the-first-and-only-watch-worn-on-the-moon”-Is-Omega-the-only-watch-brand-ever-worn-in-space-by-American-astronauts-If-not-what-other-watches-have-been-worn-and-by-whom

IMO, even if the speedy isnt the only watch that has gone in space, the owners should still feel proud that its the first watch on the moon, there have been many more after that but hey its the first :)

Edited Nov 3, 2017
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 3, 2017

Well it’s one of 2 that’s been in vacum from the US side of things. Which iswhat is being discussed. Everyone on this forum knows Rolex was on Apollo missions as a personal watch.

The list of approved watches to be flown “not Eva” is very well known.

The question was if the pro was still used on EVA’s which has conflicting information.

TLIGuy likes this.
  9. mayankyadav Nov 3, 2017

oh ok. Rookie me in the excitement of "contributing" here din`t read the question carefully then. My bad.

TLIGuy likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 3, 2017

No worries :)

mayankyadav likes this.
  11. TLIGuy Nov 3, 2017

There is aways more to research. That said, I'm not sure who Robert Frost is but I don't think he is an astronaut.

Also, if the Quora article from 2015 is the source you're relying on you might want to do a bit more research. More information has come to light since the April 2015 article regarding Scott's watches.

"...and Dave Scott wore a Waltham on Apollo 15. While Dave wore the Omega on the outside of his suit, there isn't any evidence he didn't wear his Waltham on his wrist under the suit."

The information above from the Quora article doesn't get any more outdated or incorrect from what we know now.

Edited Nov 3, 2017
    SpeedyPhill and mayankyadav like this.
  12. mikesspeedy Nov 3, 2017

To be fair there isn't any evidence he didn't wear his wife`s briefs, stockings and holdups either but it don't mean he did, in fact its highly unlikely. It is also unlikely that he would have worn any other watch under his suit on the moon. Had he it would have been in an auction long ago, together with his wifes undies, lol.

We do know that the Speedy Pro is the only hand wind watch still sanctioned to be worn on EVAs . I appreciate there is a general feeling that Omega speedy pros are still worn because of Omegas contributions and history, but for what ever reason they are still cutting it out there.

Edited Nov 3, 2017
    wagudc and dennisthemenace like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 3, 2017

There’s no question at least 20 models have been worn in missions. Afaik only 2 have been in vacuum, One Bulova during Apollo and the Pro’s. This is all well documented and the Seiko Pouge is even named after an astronaut.

There is no question that Pros are still worn outside spacesuits on launch and landing as all pictures clearly show it for NASA, ESA, and Russian astronauts.

The question which seems to be answered is if the Pro is still worn during EVA. It appears that USA astronauts no longer do at least consistently, and it appear that Russians still do some of the time. There are indications that NASA still puts one in the airlock during EVA but that is also unknown if it was a one time thing or standard procedure.

One nice thing is that we have recently confirmed an 861 went to the moon as part of the timing for an experiment, not alas worn on the moon but at least proof an 861 has been in Orbit.

14. TLIGuy Nov 3, 2017

With all due respect, what is the analogy you are trying to make? This is possibly one of the most convoluted string of words I have ever seen strung together here.

Kmart, mikesspeedy and Foo2rama like this.
  15. CTS-V Nov 3, 2017

.......or Elon can do it the old fashion capitalism way......

16. mikesspeedy Nov 3, 2017

Its all good fun, chill my friend

TLIGuy likes this.
  17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 4, 2017

@Foo2rama
    During manned spaceflight missions there have been at least 4 different watch makes being exposed to the vacuum of space
    (Omega, Bulova, Fortis & Seiko)... :rolleyes:

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2017

Doh I forget about the Space Tourist ;) Seiko.

Also I’ve never seen a conclusive shot of the Fortis external on EVA. Seems odd that they launch with an external Speedy but Eva with a different watch.

19. mikesspeedy Nov 4, 2017

I can go on line right now and download photos of Omega Speedy pros being worn in space during Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Space shuttle, ISS, as well as current Russian/ international missions. I can also get photos of X33s another Omega of course being worn on ISS. I also know there are some photos of the Russian pre speedy pro watches (cant remember what they are). It would be great if I could find a Photo of a Rolex, Bulova, Waltham, Seiko, Fortis or any other band than Omega actually being worn on an EVA.

I think what I'm saying is other watches are merely pretenders. Being worn, at best, unofficially and most likely against NASAs orders and only once to the memory of Dave Scott (who always thought it was a Waltham) was a Bulova, possibly, worn on the moon (I hope for the sake of the person that paid through the nose for it that it was moon worn and that it wasn't the Waltham as Dave Scott originally thought). The Omega Speedy pro has been proven to have been in space for over 60 years and STILL being Officially worn, the Speedy pro is the undisputed KING of all space worn watches.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2017

There’s pictures of Gariot wearing his Seiko EVA. It’s a one off like the Bulova. I always forget it. There’s also a picture of the Bulova on the moon too.