Forums Latest Members

Speedmasters still for EVA’s….Fact or Fiction?

1. mikesspeedy Nov 4, 2017

Way Cool I will have to hunt for them.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2017

TLIGuy likes this.
  3. mikesspeedy Nov 5, 2017

Out of interest. IF Fortis was the cosmonaut issue watch, why do so many wear Omega Speedmaster pros (I assume cal1861)

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 5, 2017

Look at the pictures everyone appears to wear the Speedmaster Pro externally outside the spacesuit they wear on launch and landing.

Once in the station they wear other watches. You see the Fortis on ESA and Russian personnel inside the station.

There used to be a list of approved NASA watches with the 2 Omega’s (x-33/Pro)a few Casio( some g shock models) Timex ( a few iron mans) and Seikos out there but I can’t find it.

AFAIK there is still a list of approved watches to be worn by NASA personal on missions.

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. TLIGuy Nov 5, 2017

The mother of all product placement deals is the reason and I'm sure you would find the same deal with Fortis.

Blank-check-clipart.jpg

rcs914 likes this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 5, 2017

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 12, 2019

Looks like NASA still takes care in maintaining the Omega Speedmaster chronographs as well...
    ISS Expedition 24 Fyodor Yurchikhin readied for a spacewalk in July 2010
    Note the difference in the very white "service" hands and the softer luminova markers...
    25.jpg 25_.jpg

kkt, Omegafanman and bazderome like this.
  8. Omegafanman Mar 12, 2019

The last time I did a detailed check (2016) the Russians were still using the Speedy for EVA with the Orlan suit and as far as I know a speedy is the only approved outer suit watch for the ISS Russian supply/return crew launches. You will see all ISS crews wear a speedy on the launch and recovery. I think long term the two big elephants in the room here are technology and sponsorship. The coms technology is so good now you don't really need a watch for EVA plus back in the day it was just another tool of the job, but nowadays everyone is very media savvy and knows how much a space wrist shot is worth. I imagine cash will change hands for the first manned SpaceX launch and or any next deep space mission.....Having said all this if I was blasting through the Martian atmosphere @ 20,000mph I would want a 321 or 1861 speedy on one wrist and a G-shock on the other...….

d7da1833f769562f34d79f53cbdc504a.jpg IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0122.JPG
    kkt, SpeedyPhill and murph like this.
  9. TLIGuy Mar 12, 2019

I wouldn’t assume the hands on the watch are service hands. This watch appears to be from the batch of 3590.50 Speedmasters flown by the Russians and a small batch delivered to NASA in the mid-90’s, a number of which were later sold to the public via a GSA auction. I believe the hands appear more white because of the lighting.

If you search this specific model 3590.50 many of the images have the same appearance of whiter tritium hands compared to the hour markers.

Here is my Speedmaster at an angle where the original tritium in the hands match the yellowed dial perfectly except when pictured from different angles and lighting.

384E3591-BA59-4123-A9C7-07D5B2A3CB4B.jpeg

ras47, SpeedyPhill and Omegafanman like this.
  10. Omegafanman Mar 12, 2019

I know it is a complex history and other brands can lay a fair hand on the trophies but by the book (and at a time when things were less corrupted with the filthy lucre) from Apollo kit lists to shuttle EVA guides and outstanding contribution certificates, I still the speedy has earned the top spot in the historical space race + looks amazing. Also in terms of the ISS Soyuz launches during re-entry and coms black out, if there was a total power failure and you needed to physically punch the chute pyro then I would be much happier with a good old manual speedy chronograph and a lever. It is not the time for Cntl-Alt-Delete or a battery failure.

use.jpg
  11. snake.doctor Mar 12, 2019

Thanks for your work, it's a subject that interests me as well.

12. Omegafanman Mar 12, 2019

To tie things together this previous post is also well worth a read - great information / lucky to have people here with so much information:-
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/who-wants-to-play-find-a-speedmaster-on-a-us-eva-after-february-3-1974.66020/page-2

Also if this article is to be believed it shows times are hard for NASA. Maybe the next suits will be happy meal sponsored.....or NASA might need to raid the museums and Speedmasters will be back in business……According to a NASA’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) NASA is running out of space suits. In spite of NASA having spent close to $200 million on developing new space suits, the report says the space agency is still years away from having flight-ready suits. Functioning spacesuits needed for missions are also running low, says the OIG, which worries that there won’t be enough suits to last through the end of the ISS program, scheduled to be in 2024.“Only 11 of the 18 original EMU Primary Life Support System units are still in use,” the report says.

Conrad.jpg
  13. TLIGuy Mar 12, 2019

@SpeedyPhill - If you are still keeping track of when watches were delivered here is a bit of information that you might want to tuck away in your reference material.

NASA acquired a batch of model# 3590.50 Speedmasters and were accepted into inventory on JAN 4, 1996. The movement numbers are in the 48293XXX range.

Edited Mar 12, 2019
    Omegafanman and SpeedyPhill like this.
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 12, 2019

Thanks... as I had a gap between 1990 and the October 1997 delivery of 23 X-33 chronographs...

TLIGuy likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

The last spacewalk on the ISS you could clearly see speedmasters out side the suit while they tore away the insulation to examine the patched hole. I posted pictures of it on the thread.

I also could have sworn I saw a picture of an American boarding a Soyuz at launch without one outside the launch/escape suit.

I’ve been saying all Russians do and most Americans at launch/recovery.

Omegafanman likes this.
  16. Omegafanman Mar 12, 2019

Thanks - I have not followed it closely for a while and only recently joined the forum. If that was Oleg Kononenko and Sergey Prokopyev then I have just checked and nice to see the Speedy front and centre again :0)…… I wish I had joined this forum a while back but I was always worried I would spend too much time on it and get no work done...………… sh-t I was right... :0)

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 12, 2019

https://omegaforums.net/threads/live-spacewalk-dec-11-2018.86483/

there is the link, you should be able to get better shots from around the start of the spacewalk if you need them.

Omegafanman likes this.
  18. TLIGuy Mar 12, 2019

You did....It was Expedition 55 where I first noticed and shared an image with the Russian wearing the Speedmaster on the Omega strap and the two Americans without a watch.

Expedition 55 Preflight.jpg

Omegafanman and Foo2rama like this.
  19. Omegafanman Mar 13, 2019

The slippery slope has started. Neil is not smiling / this is not what we want from the right stuff. Next thing you know Drew and Ricky will shave their heads, claim they are related and rename themselves the Breitling brother for sponsorship. At least the mission commander knows how to carry himself….. but there is a bit more to the story and possible salvation which I dug up last night….extra post to follow shortly. Also below is a NASA shot of a younger Drew before his mission 55 days with a wrist watch check...

NA.jpg wrist car.jpg
    Edited Mar 13, 2019
  20. Omegafanman Mar 13, 2019

What goes up must come down and this is Drew Feustel being extracted from MS-08 at the end of that same mission…. And I am 99.9% he is wearing a Speedy. He also has glasses on so must have wanted 20/20 vision for the drop home. It was hard to find this shot so clearly this is not for any PR stunt. As I said in an earlier post if there are manual overrides for chutes and retro rockets then I would certainly want a good mechanical chronograph and a hard copy timed events list handy in case any overrides need punching in short order. Re-entry is a serious game and they lose coms for a while, so they are on their own in a tiny gravity powered tin can. There is a money shot which I think proves this is a speedy but it is not from NASA and I don’t own the rights / web publication is sticky. Also nobody looks their best straight after re-entry and a long ISS mission so I don’t think Drew wants it in his family album. The watch comes off early in the process when they take his liner gloves off.

ex01.jpg money shot.jpg
    Edited Mar 13, 2019