Forums Latest Members

My first Speedmaster, a 345.0808 "20 Years Flight-qualified for Space"

1. Vulffi Feb 28, 2017

It is Speedy Tuesday !

After many years I can finally join the gang [​IMG]:). Although I have been watching Speedmasters far longer than Speedy Tuesday has existed.
    I first got interested in Speedys when I bought a Seamaster chrono and one of the selling points was the cal. 321 inside which was also used in the Speedmaster and had even been to the moon.
    Seamaster.jpg Seamaster cal. 321 innuti.jpg During these 20 years the prices of older Speedmasters have run away and as I also like to look at the mechanics inside, display backs seemed like a nice option. Occasionally some modern display backs where locally available, but it was not until I saw a limited edition for sale that it got really interesting.
    Travelller wrote a great piece (https://omegaforums.net/threads/first-speedmaster-professional-rhodium-3572-50.35181/) about how he did his research and searched for his first Speedmaster (with display back).
    I did it the other way around. I first saw the ad for the watch and then slowly started to do the research... The ad had a good description (345.0808) and a link to further info; "you can find a description of the different models, this watch is category 2, model 1: http://moonwatchonly.blogspot.fi ".

Speedmaster ad.jpg

Speedmaster bak.jpg

It was a one owner watch with a faint engraving with his initials and the year he bought it new (1990). The owner had developed a metal allergy and not worn a watch for years. He was selling four Omegas that he had inherited or bought during the years and was looking for a titanium Panerai instead.
    15870460_10154895615003874_402514277_n.jpg
    15871203_10154895619848874_1544592070_n.jpg

Some more surfing and I slowly gathered more confirmation that the watch could be the first steel version with a display back. Matching numbers on the back and between the lugs. Copper colored cal. 863 movement. The serial number was also in the correct range, 48169xxx. In some posts they call it "10th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing" (https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-80s-ref-345-0808-copper-arrived.47404/#post-564455) in others "20 Years Flight-qualified for Space". As I wanted the watch as original as possible I was a little worried about the 1450/808 bracelet until I found similar watches on the net with the 1450/808 bracelet instead of the 1447/805. Reading all the positive writings about the 1450/808 combo took away my hesitation. I also found a couple extracts from the archives on the net that were only a few numbers away and dated the watch roughly to March 1987.
    After I bought the watch it went straight to a full Omega service. During the waiting I finally got my Moonwatch Only book and could confirm most of the facts. I even found a correction on their MOW-site saying that some of the watches were delivered with my 1450/808 bracelet :). It is one of 1 000 numbered and limited Speedys that were made to celebrate "20 Years Flight-qualified for Space" or 20 years of collaboration with NASA.

The Speedy is now back in active use :).

Vulffi

P.S. As the first of these watches were sold in Germany, MWO had a picture of the original leaflet that came with the German watches. I found a translation on a German watch site:

Here is what Boris VERY kindly translated from the certificate:

++++++++++++++++++++
    Page 1
    ++++++++++++++++++++

20 years “qualified for space” We congratulate you to buying one of the most fascinating timepieces that made history.

++++++++++++++++++++
    Page 2
    ++++++++++++++++++++

When NASA was looking for a space capable wristwatch for their astronauts in 1965, many Chronographs underwent extremely tough testing procedures. The regular Omega Speedmaster Pro passed testing successfully as the only one and received the award (certification) of “flight qualified by NASA for all manned space missions”. Since then 20 years have passed and the Omega Speedmaster has accompanied astronauts 45 times on their missions to space, alone 6 times to the Moon. Nearly everything that was developed for space flight back then is obsolete now. However, the Omega Speedmaster Pro is one of the few things which still participates in unchanged form in the new space program of the 80s. With the same incomparable precision as 20 years ago. With the same technology that cannot be improved.

++++++++++++++++++++
    Page 3
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Because when NASA was looking again for a wristwatch to use for the space project “Space Shuttle”, which would withstand even tougher conditions, they applied a neutral testing procedure to Chronographs of major watchmakers which would be a lot tougher than the previous two tests. And again, the Omega Speedmaster Pro was the only one which would qualify.
    Omega takes this anniversary to the cause – 20 years of collaboration with NASA – to produce a limited and numbered edition. The Omega Speedmaster Pro, exclusively made with a sapphire back which gives insight into the fascinating workings of the Chronograph movement. Engraved in the back are the words: “Speedmaster – first watch worn on the moon” – as valuable memory of the past and as challenge of the future.
    +++++++++++++++
    Page 4
    +++++++++++++++

Your Speedmaster Pro carries the number: xxx

P2110255.JPG

P2110256.JPG

Speedy.jpg

Speedmaster macro tavla.jpg Speedmaster macro seconds.jpg Speedmaster macro movement.jpg
    Edited Apr 10, 2017
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 28, 2017

Congratulations - the copper version is very sought after and, for me, is THE 345.0808 to own. :thumbsup:

I used to own a later 345.0808 that I've sold exactly hoping to find the true (copper) one later ::shy::

Enjoy and wear it :thumbsup:

OMEGuy, fskywalker, LeoneFM and 2 others like this.
  3. watchtinker Mar 1, 2017

I believe I have overhauled all the Speedmaster ever produced and this one has always been my favorite. I believe, given the tolerances and the assembly, that the movement can be considered on the same level of the caliber 861L.
    I can confirm that some of these timepieces were delivered with the 1450/808 bracelet instead of the 1447/805. Strangely, some of these carried a low engraved serial.
    Is someone able to show any extract of the archives relative to these watches?

Pio Taiani and Vulffi like this.
  4. Vulffi Mar 1, 2017

Hi watchtinker and thank you for the information !
    I have found 1 extract of the archives and one quotation from the archives.

# 533 is produced March 6 1987 and delivered to the U.K. (see extract)
    # 597 is produced May 4 1987 and delivered to Switzerland (found in an ad, http://cda.chronomania.net/forum_entry.php?id=123286)

Both have the 1447/805 bracelet and at least # 597 has a lower movement serial number than on mine, although my watch limited edition number is lower...
    I might have assumed wrong about the production date if they were not made in sequential order according to the limited edition number ?
    Or they have been made according to that and nobody cared about movement serial numbers ?
    Maybe I have to order an extract of the archives after all ?

There is a nice story ? (in French) with lots of pictures of 3 highly collectable Speedmasters from 1987; Speedymoon, Holy Grail and "20 Years Flight-qualified for Space".

http://www.passion-horlogere.com/index.php/revues/1715-omega-speedmaster-triplette-magique-de-1987

triple21.jpg

triple24.jpg

Speedmaster French 2.jpg

Speedmaster French.jpg

smitty190373 and fskywalker like this.
  5. LeoneFM Mar 1, 2017

Very particular piece!
    I have some 345.0808 of later production, but your is quite rare, Congrats!!!

Cheers :)

Vulffi likes this.
  6. watchtinker Mar 1, 2017

Hello Vulffi, thanks for your reply. As far as I know, Omega Extracts do not mention the number engraved on case and caseback and I found that these numbers, from 0001 to 1000, are not sequential with movement serials in the range from 48169000 to 48169999.
    For example, the one you posted shows a movement serial number 48169854 and an engraved case number 0597, while one sold some time ago by Davidoff Brothers (http://www.db1983.com/the-collection/omega-speedmaster-3450808-first-series-1986) shows a movement serial number 48169590 and an engraved case number 0824. Also, I remember to have overhauled a specimen with case number below two hundred which was originally equipped with the later 1450/808 bracelet.
    However, this is perfectly acceptable given that the whole series was produced in a short time span and the cases were numbered without paying attention to the movement serials.

fskywalker, DB1983 and Vulffi like this.
  7. fskywalker Mar 10, 2019

A copper color 863 Speedmaster would be awesome! In the meatime my numbered 3592.50 will do! ;)

49FE8E88-4D18-45BA-B5DA-3FFBC465E07A.jpeg

Edited Jun 10, 2019